Importing a firearm

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Importing a firearm

Post by CRF » 16 Feb 2023, 10:42 pm

Has anyone imported a firearm into the country before, particularly from the states? I'm curious to know how much of a headache it is to do privately. I spoke to a guy that has a business doing it a while back and he said to double the price of the gun for him to get it. I'd prefer to save myself thousands if I can.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Importing a firearm

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Feb 2023, 2:24 am

You won't, to export from the US will cost US$2000 for a permit, lasts 12 months and is unlimited quantity of allowable firearms, so to save money you need to get several friends together and do a group purchase, depending on what you want you may have to time it to the money exchange rate to save anything. Then you have the US sellers fees and charges for shipping, GST, the local gundealers fee to pick up the firearm from Border Force when it gets here then his transfer fee. I use a dealer here in Melbourne who charges me a flat rate of $400 to ship a rifle on his Permit and to collect it from Tullamarine, including transfer. Talk to Black Range Firearms, they have a US Permit and import for a fairly low rate I believe, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CRF » 17 Feb 2023, 4:42 am

Black Range is the guy I spoke to who said to double the cost of the gun.

So you pay the cost of the gun, freight, gst and a $400 fee to your dealer and that's it?
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Feb 2023, 6:24 am

Freight prices from the US has got completely out of control.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CRF » 17 Feb 2023, 6:58 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Freight prices from the US has got completely out of control.

I'd hate to think what it would cost now then. When I spoke to Black range it was 5 years ago. There was a special release Ruger did of 275 rugby's with folding rear sight. It was $1400usd and I recall him saying when importing guns bank on doubling the price.

I did speak to another dealer last year about bringing in a kit gun. He said freight was going to be around $300. I would have gone that direction but the time component of building a gun is too much at this stage of my life.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 17 Feb 2023, 10:51 am

I spoke to Black Range a couple of years ago about importing a firearm from the States, I forget how much it was, but it was expensive. I also spoke to Rhino Sport in Bendigo, they were a lot cheaper from memory, but I never ended up going through with it anyway. But they might be worth a call.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 17 Feb 2023, 10:56 am

I was very recently quoted $2500 US ($3600) in freight costs from the US to here for one rifle.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CRF » 17 Feb 2023, 11:31 am

animalpest wrote:I was very recently quoted $2500 US ($3600) in freight costs from the US to here for one rifle.

Bloody hell, was the freight company called Millenium Falcon by any chance?
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by CRF » 17 Feb 2023, 11:39 am

I wonder if it's carrier based or if at a certain size things are going insane. I've bought 3 things from the states since covid and am in the process of another. First was a front sight at $6. Then I bought a shooting bag, a custom knife and currently having a powder horn made. All were between $20-30 with insurance and tracking.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 17 Feb 2023, 11:44 am

I think Rhino Sport only import a few times a year. Maybe they can do it cheaper if they bring in a decent amount at once.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 17 Feb 2023, 1:05 pm

I imported a gun from the USA three years ago. Cost $400 and was delivered in 8 days.

Guess I sick of being quoted $1500 and 6 month waiting time by supposed importers.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by CRF » 17 Feb 2023, 2:08 pm

mchughcb wrote:I imported a gun from the USA three years ago. Cost $400 and was delivered in 8 days.

Guess I sick of being quoted $1500 and 6 month waiting time by supposed importers.

So no $2000usd permit and $2500usd postage. Sounds more reasonable.

I've spoken to a guy that imported one himself, albeit years ago. I bought it off him. I should have stayed in touch with him in hindsight.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 17 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm

mchughcb wrote:I imported a gun from the USA three years ago. Cost $400 and was delivered in 8 days.

Yes the good old Australia tax
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 17 Feb 2023, 2:23 pm

CRF wrote:
animalpest wrote:I was very recently quoted $2500 US ($3600) in freight costs from the US to here for one rifle.

Bloody hell, was the freight company called Millenium Falcon by any chance?

Don't know. It was the manufacturer who quoted me
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by S O K A R » 17 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm

Try cleavers perhaps?
I know they have a connection to some shops in the US they get stuff off from time to time, so I assume they'd be able to get something for you.
But which ever way you go, I can't imagine it being cheap to do.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 17 Feb 2023, 9:58 pm

CRF wrote:

So no $2000usd permit and $2500usd postage. Sounds more reasonable.

I've spoken to a guy that imported one himself, albeit years ago. I bought it off him. I should have stayed in touch with him in hindsight.

I've also bought one drilling and two barrels from Gerrmany. That used to be easy and cheap. Now its hard and expensive.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 18 Feb 2023, 3:54 pm

I imported a Lahti L35 from NZ quite a few years ago. $1200 pistol, over $1500 in fees and postage. It wasn't worth it to me and it took 6 years for the price of the pistol here to rise until I was able to sell it and break even. If it has sentimental value then go for it, if not its not going to be financially viable.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by CRF » 18 Feb 2023, 4:57 pm

I hunt with very niche weapons and what I'm after is even moreso.
Screenshot_20230218_175709_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230218_175709_Gallery.jpg (472.63 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2023, 6:25 pm

"Weapons"
A very brutal and distasteful word to describe the finely crafted tools we call firearms. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CRF » 19 Feb 2023, 6:58 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:"Weapons"
A very brutal and distasteful word to describe the finely crafted tools we call firearms. :thumbsup:

And particularly something as exceptional as a muzzleloader. The beauty of firearms really declined from my perspective after breechloaders came about.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2023, 9:44 am

CRF wrote: "The beauty of firearms really declined from my perspective after breechloaders came about."

Gee, I don't know mate, my "breechloaders" tend to be admired by everyone that sees them...

Truoil finish on .45-90.jpg
Truoil finish on .45-90.jpg (256.17 KiB) Viewed 4176 times

Shiloh 40-70SS.jpg
Shiloh 40-70SS.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 4176 times

I imported both of these, however it was a while ago. About $380 in export permits and $200 insured postage (U.S.) Then the GST and a PTA here.
I've got another rifle in the U.S. that I'd like to get back here but the exporter I used to use is no longer in business.
I contacted the bloke at BlackRange, he was full of crap and quite arrogant, so it went no further.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by CRF » 20 Feb 2023, 11:21 am

Gamerancher wrote:CRF wrote: "The beauty of firearms really declined from my perspective after breechloaders came about."

Gee, I don't know mate, my "breechloaders" tend to be admired by everyone that sees them...

The attachment Truoil finish on .45-90.jpg is no longer available

The attachment Shiloh 40-70SS.jpg is no longer available

I imported both of these, however it was a while ago. About $380 in export permits and $200 insured postage (U.S.) Then the GST and a PTA here.
I've got another rifle in the U.S. that I'd like to get back here but the exporter I used to use is no longer in business.
I contacted the bloke at BlackRange, he was full of crap and quite arrogant, so it went no further.

Not sure what happened to my reply I'll try again.

I'm not referring necessarily to just highly figured wood (as nice as yours are). Any guy can have that really. I mean that even people of modest class and income could have a nicely figured stock with beautiful hand made engravings/carvings and to me they have much more grace.

As an example
marshall_combo.jpg
marshall_combo.jpg (186.98 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2023, 1:41 pm

Each to his own mate. I've seen some fantastic guns with hand carved stocks but, to me, most "carved" stocks tend to just look like someone got bored waiting for a squirrel to poke it's head out and started scratching away with their pocket knife... :sarcasm:
Plus, I use my rifles for competition so intricate carving isn't a thing I'm after. Accuracy, reliability, quality of fit and finish and are my main requirements.
( I also like nice timber. :D )

Back to the subject of importing, the couple of enquiries I made here in Aus, (to mobs that advertise) it seemed that they want to make half their yearly income from one transaction. :allegedly:
It isn't as hard as they make it out to be if you really look into it. Freight rates out of the U.S have skyrocketed in the last couple of years so that has to be considered.
Sure if you are trying to bring in an ordinary run of the mill rifle because it's half the price Aussie retailers are asking, it isn't worth it.
However, if it's a custom gun or a rare collectable that isn't available here, different story.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws