Is SSAA Membership mandatory in Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Is SSAA Membership mandatory in Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 27 Mar 2023, 4:50 pm

I have had my firearms license for many years. I also own a property of 150 acres backing onto a National Park with vermin in plague proportions.
My wife and my renewal has come up.
Question is do I need to still keep my SSAA membership active, we've had it for over 20 years. I am sick of the monthly magazines in the letterbox, recently one fell out and was in the middle of the road for everyone to see (That we are members)
To be totally honest times are a bit tough and we need to cut back on outgoings.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Is SSAA Membership mandatory in Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Mar 2023, 5:10 pm

No, it isn't. You can fulfill your "Genuine need" a number of ways, membership of a dedicated hunting and/or target shooting club is only one of them. An "Authority to Hunt Pest Animals" from the Govt Dept responsible is another, or a Letter of Authority" from a private landowner is another.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Mar 2023, 5:15 pm

Understand you cannot "Target Shoot' if you are not a member of a Target Shooting Club as approved by the Police, but as a property owner you can simply use that as your "Genuine Need' by submitting to LRD proof of ownership, ie: a copy of your rates notice. Cheapest option for you and your Mrs, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2023, 5:23 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Understand you cannot "Target Shoot' if you are not a member of a Target Shooting Club as approved by the Police, but as a property owner you can simply use that as your "Genuine Need' by submitting to LRD proof of ownership, ie: a copy of your rates notice. Cheapest option for you and your Mrs, Cheers.

Correct.

I see no reason why you can't shoot targets. May be corrected tho.

Where do you live? Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 27 Mar 2023, 5:45 pm

Thank you very much for your quick response guys.
I will use my property as my genuine reason
This will save us $170 a year for SSAA subscription
I gather I will still be able to hunt on public land where hunting is permitted ( I never really do anyway) Unless Deer (ADA Hunting permit required)
But won't be able to target shoot at any approved ranges and on public land e.g. State Forest
I guess this also means I won't be able to sight a rifle in at a State Forest

All the rules and regs make it important that we all keep up with these rules and regs to make sure we aren't in breech, a bit of a drag really for law abiding citizens
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 27 Mar 2023, 5:52 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Understand you cannot "Target Shoot' if you are not a member of a Target Shooting Club as approved by the Police, but as a property owner you can simply use that as your "Genuine Need' by submitting to LRD proof of ownership, ie: a copy of your rates notice. Cheapest option for you and your Mrs, Cheers.

Correct.

Where do you live? Lol

My exact location is a secret :) , but is well known by locals
We have also had quite a few hunters come in at night shooting (deer) on the roads and paddocks over the years, as you would expect
A couple have hit houses and other infrastructure, one was caught recently by police
The deer are in plague proportions as you all know and really need thinning out
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Mar 2023, 5:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Correct.

Where do you live? Lol

G'day Oldbloke, refer Firearms Act 1996, v97, S 10, Sub 2, para a (i + ii), Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Mar 2023, 5:57 pm

ausbushman wrote:Thank you very much for your quick response guys.
I gather I will still be able to hunt on public land where hunting is permitted ( I never really do anyway) Unless Deer (ADA Hunting permit required)
But won't be able to target shoot at any approved ranges and on public land e.g. State Forest

All the rules and regs make it important that we all keep up with these rules and regs to make sure we aren't in breech, a bit of a drag really for law abiding citizens

Approval for hunting does allow you to "sight in" both at any approved Range and also any other permitted location such as State Forest or Crown Land. The Law does discriminate between actual "Target Shooting" and the need to sight-in a hunting rifle to ensure clean kills, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 27 Mar 2023, 6:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
ausbushman wrote:Thank you very much for your quick response guys.

Approval for hunting does allow you to "sight in" both at any approved Range and also any other permitted location such as State Forest or Crown Land. The Law does discriminate between actual "Target Shooting" and the need to sight-in a hunting rifle to ensure clean kills, Cheers.

Thanks for that info great to know, What's interesting is that all the info shows that if you own a permitted hunting property, a SSAA subscription is totally unnecessary and money down the drain really for me and my wife.
I was just talking to the missus about this, she has always been annoyed that the SSAA monthly magazine isn't completely covered, it's in clear plastic and often protrudes out of the letterbox advertising that a firearms owner lives at the property
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2023, 6:26 pm

ausbushman wrote:Thanks for that info great to know, What's interesting is that all the info shows that if you own a permitted hunting property, a SSAA subscription is totally unnecessary and money down the drain really for me and my wife.
I was just talking to the missus about this, she has always been annoyed that the SSAA monthly magazine isn't completely covered, it's in clear plastic and often protrudes out of the letterbox advertising that a firearms owner lives at the property

Membership of one of these clubs does give you public liability insurance and some of them also offer insurance of your firearms.

Living rurally it's probably sensible to assume everybody is a firearm owner.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 27 Mar 2023, 6:31 pm

Simple answer is no.

SSAA will give you public liability insurance though and if you sight in more than 4 times a year at their ranges it will pay for themselves.

Most people get deer licence for about $55 per year and quote reason is for hunting and put licence No down as proof.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 27 Mar 2023, 7:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ausbushman wrote:Thanks for that info great to know, What's interesting is that all the info shows that if you own a permitted hunting property, a SSAA subscription is totally unnecessary and money down the drain really for me and my wife.

Membership of one of these clubs does give you public liability insurance and some of them also offer insurance of your firearms.

Living rurally it's probably sensible to assume everybody is a firearm owner.

You are right most people around me have 1 firearms license holder that lives on the property.
We own 2 properties the mail comes to the Melbourne Metropolitan address, no mail to the bush/rural property
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2023, 9:41 pm

Of I want to shoot target I just go to the local range. So I'm puzzled.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2023, 10:03 pm

I'm really puzzled by this statement. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean.
Vic police says I can. My application only included hunting along with a game lic as proof

Resized_Screenshot_20230327-225651_Samsung_Notes.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20230327-225651_Samsung_Notes.jpeg (289.32 KiB) Viewed 4700 times

Lic-Category-Genuine-Reason-Table-1.pdf
(113.91 KiB) Downloaded 2049 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 28 Mar 2023, 3:02 am

mchughcb wrote:Simple answer is no.

SSAA will give you public liability insurance though and if you sight in more than 4 times a year at their ranges it will pay for themselves.

Most people get deer licence for about $55 per year and quote reason is for hunting and put licence No down as proof.

This.
Insurance.

Ssaa has a lot to offer. Lots of fun to be had if your interest broadens.
I would tick both boxes anyway and join a club. If for no other reason it’s keeps you informed, in the loop.
Rules and regs firearms related change every other week nowadays.
You could legally buy a gun today and tomorrow it’s been re catergorized or banned outright. How would you know.
Why should you care. Because it’s a trap.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 28 Mar 2023, 7:15 am

In Victoria though you can go to any approved range and target shoot. Unlike in NSW where you have to have target specifically on your license. In fact you could with perhaps a little planning and a few forms you could get your license as a primary producer and get your license for free.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Mar 2023, 2:15 pm

Seems to be some mis-understanding between shooting targets at a range, and Target Shooting, which I placed in Quotations in my earlier answer. Anyone can go to a range and shoot at things we call targets, this is not Competitive Target Shooting, ie: CSD, VRA, etc. If you wish to compete in any Target Shooting event you must be a member of an approved club, if you merely wish to plink, you don't. regarding OP, he simply wishes to retain a firearm and shoot pests on his property and of course he does not need SSAA membership. I do, because I shoot competition at SSAA ranges and it is cheaper to be a member for range fees 3 times a month, plus the add-ons re: insurance etc. As to the magazine, it fits inside my letterbox so is not seen except by the Postie (who I have seen at the range!)
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2023, 2:50 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Seems to be some mis-understanding between shooting targets at a range, and Target Shooting, which I placed in Quotations in my earlier answer. Anyone can go to a range and shoot at things we call targets, this is not Competitive Target Shooting, ie: CSD, VRA, etc. If you wish to compete in any Target Shooting event you must be a member of an approved club, if you merely wish to plink, you don't. regarding OP, he simply wishes to retain a firearm and shoot pests on his property and of course he does not need SSAA membership. I do, because I shoot competition at SSAA ranges and it is cheaper to be a member for range fees 3 times a month, plus the add-ons re: insurance etc. As to the magazine, it fits inside my letterbox so is not seen except by the Postie (who I have seen at the range!)

Thx no1. Better understand now.

I always scratched my head regarding mag being in clear plastic. Obviously not good security wise. My guess is ssaa had no choice in the matter.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 31 Mar 2023, 7:03 am

Thanks guys, your insights have been great and I have a few things to consider
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Mar 2023, 1:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Seems to be some mis-understanding between shooting targets at a range, and Target Shooting, which I placed in Quotations in my earlier answer. Anyone can go to a range and shoot at things we call targets, this is not Competitive Target Shooting, ie: CSD, VRA, etc. If you wish to compete in any Target Shooting event you must be a member of an approved club, if you merely wish to plink, you don't. regarding OP, he simply wishes to retain a firearm and shoot pests on his property and of course he does not need SSAA membership. I do, because I shoot competition at SSAA ranges and it is cheaper to be a member for range fees 3 times a month, plus the add-ons re: insurance etc. As to the magazine, it fits inside my letterbox so is not seen except by the Postie (who I have seen at the range!)

Thx no1. Better understand now.

I always scratched my head regarding mag being in clear plastic. Obviously not good security wise. My guess is ssaa had no choice in the matter.

I'm not sure Oldbloke, I get auction catalogues in paper envelopes, and my copy of SSAA Australian Handguns comes in an envelope, i think more likely just penny pinching (or am I getting cynical in my dotage?)
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws