My Father is passing and I have all his Handguns

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

My Father is passing and I have all his Handguns

Post by rippajohn » 30 Mar 2023, 5:40 pm

Hey everyone, not sure if I post this here or not, but My father has 8 Handguns, and is verry ill, and I have to get rid of them, as I only have a longarm license.

Is the normal procedure to just take them to a gun shop and sell them.
I wasn't sure if that's the best way, or sell them privately. We are a long way away from anywhere in Mildura Victoria

Thanks for any Help!

Make
Baikal
Model
MP 446 Viking
Calibre
9mm Luger
Serial Number
Barrel Length

Make
Sturm Ruger
Model
GP 100
Calibre
357 Magnum
Serial Number
177-35283
Barrel Length

Make
Sturm Ruger
Model
22/45
Calibre
22 Rimfire
Serial Number
274-32156
Barrel Length

Make
Beretta
Model
96A1
Calibre
40S&W Auto
Serial Number
A56491M
Barrel Length
Year Of Manufacture

Make
Para Ordnance
Model
S 1838 SR Limited Stainless Steel
Calibre
38 Super
Serial Number
P126056
Barrel Length

Make
Norinco
Model
NP 29
Calibre
9 mm Luger
Serial Number
Barrel Length

Make
Smith and Wesson
Model
15 Combat Masterpiece
Calibre
38 Special
Serial Number
K629925
Barrel Length

Make
Glock
Model
Calibre
9mm Lugger
Serial Number
YVX842
Barrel Length
rippajohn
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: My Father is passing and I have all his Handguns

Post by JohnV » 31 Mar 2023, 11:57 am

That is sad to hear . I know how that feels . The local gun shop will not give you much for them . Maybe go to your local or a pistol club armorer and ask his advice . He may sell them for you . I think that the law gives you a grace period after an inheritance if you don't have the right licence but your in Victoria so check on that I could be wrong .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by rc42 » 31 Mar 2023, 12:13 pm

It's likely that you can't do anything with them until after he passes and they become part of the estate, as the licensed person he will need to sign them over to a dealer.
If you can find one that will sell on consignment then you set the price and they store them until sold, that's going to be the easiest way without getting ripped off selling directly to a dealer.

If your father has any Cat H licensed friends, they may be able to help transport them to the dealer but call the dealer first to see what letter and identification they'll need to be able to work without the presence of the licensee that the firearms are linked to.

Also have a browse on usedguns.com.au and use the 'sold' tickbox to search for the firearms you have and get an idea about reasonable sale value.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2023, 1:22 pm

Very sorry to hear your father is very ill. The next few month will be hard.

Each state varies. So, be careful who provides advice.

I just now downloaded the attached from Vic police site. Read it carefully. Download and print it out. You and the executor's need to have a copy incase you get a visit. Don't let the pol take them. Most are ok but ive heard a few try to bluff mourning relatives.

The executor's are the ones who will take care of it after his passinoutYou should work closely with the executor's if they dont understand storage regs etc requirements. Looks like they have 6 months to dispose of them and do not do not need a lic.

Can u get a H lic in 6 months?

Suggedt u down load & Print this out so it is available as a reference. Sometimes the pol knock on the door within a few days of the death. Something in the system flags the pol upon a death. The executor's will need to notify the lrd by email.

P.S. you don't have a H lic. So said firearms should currently remain in his safe until his death. If they are at your house you will be in breach.

Deceased-Estate-Guide_MAR2018_0.pdf
(204.03 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Oldbloke on 31 Mar 2023, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Mar 2023, 1:27 pm

G'day rippajohn,
Sorry to hear your Father is ill. You will always get a better price selling private, but just off-loading to a dealer is easy and quick so it depends how much you need to get rid of them. You have gundealers near you who you can talk to, 2 in Mildura, 1 in Red Cliffs and 1 in Irymple, maybe more I don't know about. Plus members of your Fathers club. Should the very worst happen, the Executor has 6 months to lawfully deal with the firearms, best of luck.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2023, 1:30 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day rippajohn,
Sorry to hear your Father is ill. You will always get a better price selling private, but just off-loading to a dealer is easy and quick so it depends how much you need to get rid of them. You have gundealers near you who you can talk to, 2 in Mildura, 1 in Red Cliffs and 1 in Irymple, maybe more I don't know about. Plus members of your Fathers club. Should the very worst happen, the Executor has 6 months to lawfully deal with the firearms, best of luck.

This is an excellent idea.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Mar 2023, 3:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:P.S. you don't have a H lic. So said firearms should currently remain in his safe until his death. If they are at your house you will be in breach.

If he is listed as the executor he doesn't need any licence at all to hold them, but they must be kept secure as per the storage regs.
The simplest solution would be to pass them to a club armourer or member you trust to keep them until you sell them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2023, 4:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:P.S. you don't have a H lic. So said firearms should currently remain in his safe until his death. If they are at your house you will be in breach.

If he is listed as the executor he doesn't need any licence at all to hold them, but they must be kept secure as per the storage regs.
The simplest solution would be to pass them to a club armourer or member you trust to keep them until you sell them.

Of course. But until his father passes he can't have possession.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 02 Apr 2023, 5:58 pm

Sorry ypur father is sick.

My club has had a few members pass recently. The pistols have been collected my our club armourer and put up for sale to members. All off the proceeds have gone back to the family. Maybe reach out to his club and see what they can do.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Victorian gun laws