Cat B reasons

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Cat B reasons

Post by 416sw » 01 Sep 2023, 1:51 pm

Trying to get another Cat B and registry has asked why I need another one.
They want a submission
.the genuine need you have to acquire this cat b longarm
.why longarms you already possess do not satisfy this genuine need
.any other info you think relevant to support this application.
you may wish to include in your submission such particulars
.details of relevant sport or target shooting competition requirements & how the particular firearm you wish to acquire may meet physical or environmental conditions which your other firearms may not

Anyone had this before and what did you answer?
I don't have one in that cartridge 222Rem but do have others in that cal
416sw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Cat B reasons

Post by Larry » 02 Sep 2023, 2:42 pm

Well to help us think along the same lines as the registry you need to provide a bit more info, like what you already have and what you are applying for. Info on all your guns not just what you may consider similar. Then there will be heaps of suggestions. So far I have not had one of these requests and I have a wide range of cals and many that could be considered to require another gun I would happily provide the registry with my reasoning as I normally have one other than I just want another gun otherwise I would not be spending the money on another gun when lets face it they dont all get a lot of use.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2023, 3:12 pm

416sw wrote:Trying to get another Cat B and registry has asked why I need another one.
They want a submission
.details of relevant sport or target shooting competition requirements & how the particular firearm you wish to acquire may meet physical or environmental conditions which your other firearms may not

Must be number 16 CatB or have they changed it?
I've done lots of them but don't have them on this computer. I always want to be able to use them for whatever I feel like so always mention a discipline they can be used in as well as the type of hunting you want to do with it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Sep 2023, 3:21 pm

The request to prove "genuine need" has been in place for many years, originally it was max of 3 in any particular calibre before a justification was needed but this has now changed to a max of 10 in Cat B regardless of calibre. This is one reason I tell new shooters to always list both hunting and target on licence applications in order to expand the range of "genuine need", as bladeracer said you can justify almost anything according to a type of competition available to shoot or a type of game to hunt or a type of hunting ie: light 22 centrefire for stalking hilly terrain, heavy 22 centrefire for hides, long barrel 22 centrefire for scope hunting plains etc.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 02 Sep 2023, 4:55 pm

416sw wrote:Trying to get another Cat B and registry has asked why I need another one.
They want a submission

You and only you can give the answer because you are the one applying. The whole thing is to find why you want another one, not why someone else may want one.
Regardless of why they ask being good or bad, they have asked you. If you do not know then maybe you should not have more.
I realize this response will probably offend you and possibly others, but it is how it is.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 416sw » 06 Sep 2023, 7:43 am

Thanks for the replies, it will be 5th one in .224cal and I have more than numbers mentioned in Cat B. already.
Think it is at least 10yrs since I last applied for a Cat B. and have not had a request for this info before.
416sw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws