Firearm borrowing

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Firearm borrowing

Post by MRadd » 13 Jan 2024, 2:55 pm

Hello everyone,
Is it possible to borrow my mate's rifle and pistol for 3-4 months (of course, he is aware and agrees) and store them at my place?
Can I take these firearms to the range by myself?
What paperwork do I have to fix with an LRD?
Cheers
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Firearm borrowing

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2024, 3:37 pm

MRadd wrote:Hello everyone,
Is it possible to borrow my mate's rifle and pistol for 3-4 months (of course, he is aware and agrees) and store them at my place?
Cheers

For three or four months you would have to notify of change of storage address, but otherwise there is no issue with borrowing firearms you are licenced to possess.

A potential problem is whether your secure storage complies with CatH (I assume it does since you have a CatH licence), and whether firearm numbers exceed 15 kept on the premises (requiring higher levels of security - a basic alarm system).
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MRadd » 13 Jan 2024, 4:05 pm

Thank you very much "bladeracer"]
looks like it is a pretty straightforward process, and the only paperwork is a notice of address change. I was not sure If I was allowed to transport (to and from the range) and use a firearm not registered against my licence.
Thank again!
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2024, 6:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cheers

For three or four months you would have to notify of change of storage address, but otherwise there is no issue with borrowing firearms you are licenced to possess.

A potential problem is whether your secure storage complies with CatH (I assume it does since you have a CatH licence), and whether firearm numbers exceed 15 kept on the premises (requiring higher levels of security - a basic alarm system).

Well put. That's also my understanding.
I think it might be smart to retain a letter signed by the owner saying your borrowing them incase you get a safe inspection or pulled over when transporting them.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Jan 2024, 6:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Cheers

Well put. That's also my understanding.
I think it might be smart to retain a letter signed by the owner saying your borrowing them incase you get a safe inspection or pulled over when transporting them.

You absolutely should have letter signed by your mate, as well as a photocopy of both of his licences. Your mate should also think about how it affects his attendance requirements.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2024, 8:04 pm

Good point No1 :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2024, 9:14 pm

MRadd wrote:Thank you very much "bladeracer"]
looks like it is a pretty straightforward process, and the only paperwork is a notice of address change. I was not sure If I was allowed to transport (to and from the range) and use a firearm not registered against my licence.
Thank again!

In all states except WA your licence allows you to possess any firearm of the class(es) you are licenced for, you don't have to own the firearms.

In WA you are only licenced to possess the _specific_ firearms listed by serial number on your licence. To borrow a firearm in WA requires you to be co-licenced for that _specific_ firearm, including getting the required property letter or club membership to do so. In WA if you and your spouse are both licenced you can't legally use each other's firearms, or have access to them, except under their immediate supervision.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2024, 3:58 am

bladeracer wrote:
MRadd wrote:Thank you very much "bladeracer"]
Thank again!

In all states except WA your licence allows you to possess any firearm of the class(es) you are licenced for, you don't have to own the firearms.

In WA you are only licenced to possess the _specific_ firearms listed by serial number on your licence. To borrow a firearm in WA requires you to be co-licenced for that _specific_ firearm, including getting the required property letter or club membership to do so. In WA if you and your spouse are both licenced you can't legally use each other's firearms, or have access to them, except under their immediate supervision.

Crazy stuff.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 14 Jan 2024, 8:54 am

I forgot VIC allows random storage inspections. QLD law is 48 hours notice of a 'reasonable place and time'. The cop that did mine said he had a bloke with 2 weeks notice and he still had loaded magazines and guns in the safe. haha what an idiot. Told him he was going on a hunting trip so he wanted to have it ready.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MRadd » 14 Jan 2024, 2:14 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:You absolutely should have a letter signed by your mate, as well as a photocopy of both of his licences. Your mate should also think about how it affects his attendance requirements.

Great Idea, thanks.
This is not his only handgun in this class hence no issues with attendance requirements.

Thanks Oldbloke for an idea with a letter, I'll have it certified with a JP just in case.
As I found from the VicPol website store Cat H firearms at different address for the period between 1 and 12 months VP Form 337D "Application for a Permit to Store General Category Handguns on Behalf of Another Licence Holder" required.
Have not found the same for Cat AB though.

My main concern was not about the STORING mate's firearm at my premise but If It would be legal if I took his firearms to the range. As I understand now - it is OK.
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/borrowing ... g-firearms

P.S. I had an inspection in December last year, The officer phoned me to arrange a date and time of the visit and was pretty kind to do it when it was suitable for me. It was my first inspection, so the experience was very positive.
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws