Licence

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Licence

Post by Coxy383 » 17 Feb 2024, 11:13 am

Hi all. Recently moved to a property in the upper Murry with a heep of farms and deer around. As I now work on a few of these properties and I back onto state Forest I decided to get into hunting. Last week I paid for my licence and had my photo taken. At the end the lady ripped off a piece of paper handed it to me and said that's my intrum licence. When I actually looked at the paper it states it's not an intrum licence at all. So my first question is...am I allowed to go hunting now or do I need wait 3 weeks for the mail.to arrive? Also after alot of looking I can't seem to find if I'm allowed to bolt a gun safe into a shipping container that I use as a storage garage. Thanks all. Have a great one.
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Licence

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2024, 6:21 pm

Coxy383 wrote:Hi all. Recently moved to a property in the upper Murry with a heap of farms and deer around. As I now work on a few of these properties and I back onto state Forest I decided to get into hunting. Last week I paid for my licence and had my photo taken. At the end the lady ripped off a piece of paper handed it to me and said that's my interim licence. When I actually looked at the paper it states it's not an interim licence at all. So my first question is...am I allowed to go hunting now or do I need wait 3 weeks for the mail.to arrive? Also after a lot of looking I can't seem to find if I'm allowed to bolt a gun safe into a shipping container that I use as a storage garage. Thanks all. Have a great one.

I haven't seen an interim licence so don't know if it exists, I would just wait until you get the actual licence. Take the piece of paper to your dealer and ask him, he should know whether it constitutes an actual licence.

Did you put in permits to acquire firearms when you made the licence application? If not then you'll have to wait another 28 days for that.

I don't know about shipping containers. I've heard of it but don't know anybody doing it this way. Is there no permanent structure on the property? Are you actually resident at the property?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 18 Feb 2024, 7:53 am

That's cool I can wait another 3 weeks. Yes I have PTAs in already but do have access to firearms that I do not own when I am licensed. I live rural in a tiny home. Unfortunately no space for a safe.
The container has a pergola built over the top of it but it's not on a slab. I do have the option of having a safe at my place of employment tho.
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2024, 8:55 am

Coxy383 wrote:That's cool I can wait another 3 weeks. Yes I have PTAs in already but do have access to firearms that I do not own when I am licensed. I live rural in a tiny home. Unfortunately no space for a safe.
The container has a pergola built over the top of it but it's not on a slab. I do have the option of having a safe at my place of employment tho.

If you are living in the container then it is your residence so fix the safe to the structure. Put it in place against a wall, mark the holes, weld studs to the wall, mount the safe on them. The building is not required to have a slab, lots of houses on the east coast have timber floors. Talk to the local Police or DFO if there is one as they'll be doing the inspection. Workplace is fine until you want to grab a rifle when a fox is nosing about during the night.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 18 Feb 2024, 9:41 am

bladeracer wrote:
Coxy383 wrote:That's cool I can wait another 3 weeks. Yes I have PTAs in already but do have access to firearms that I do not own when I am licensed. I live rural in a tiny home. Unfortunately no space for a safe.

If you are living in the container then it is your residence so fix the safe to the structure. Put it in place against a wall, mark the holes, weld studs to the wall, mount the safe on them. The building is not required to have a slab, lots of houses on the east coast have timber floors. Talk to the local Police or DFO if there is one as they'll be doing the inspection. Workplace is fine until you want to grab a rifle when a fox is nosing about during the night.

Thanks for the help. Nar I don't live in the container we use it for storage. I'll take a photo and ask the local boys in blue. Cheers
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws