Ex-pat returning from NZ - but with what?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Ex-pat returning from NZ - but with what?

Post by Gordie_Howe » 01 Apr 2024, 7:05 pm

Hi All,

I'm an ex-pat that is returning from NZ, very soon.

I'm licenced 'here' (in NZ) but not 'there' (in Vic).

I've been away for sometime and I can't get a grip on what I can bring back with me in my household contents - and what I can't.

I was hoping that I could bring my scopes and what-ever else that I would be permitted to own, but I can't find any guidelines on what I could possess in Vic, in the intervening period, while unlicenced.

Does anyone know what we can possess?
Does everything need a Permit to Acquire?

Regards,
GH
Gordie_Howe
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: Ex-pat returning from NZ - but with what?

Post by deye243 » 02 Apr 2024, 1:58 pm

Give the Firearms registry a call 1300 651 645 but I think that the scopes will be fine
And you can only call the Registry on a Tuesday and Thursday between 10:00 and 14:00 Eastern day light savings time .
Good luck .
I would say powder projectiles cases primers ammo and any firearm parts will need a 709b form .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Apr 2024, 2:30 pm

Bring everything you want other than actual firearms, ammo, reloading components (bullets, brass etc). which will need to be freighted unless you get a permit online and have it with you when you fly, even then you will not be able to collect from Tullamarine but will need a dealer to collect and hold firearms until you are licenced which will cost a fair bit. Only worth doing if you have collectible or high end firearms.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gordie_Howe » 02 Apr 2024, 2:52 pm

Hi folks,

Right now, I'm focusing on 'just' getting my scopes back in, however, I'm getting the run-around from Vicpol and the ABF.
Vicpol says to contact the ABF.
The ABF tells me to refer to the website, otherwise, contact Vicpol.

No-one has been able to give me a straight answer if I can bring them in (while unlicenced).
Gordie_Howe
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by alexjones » 02 Apr 2024, 3:26 pm

Firearm laws are state based in Australia. However the Commonwealth controls importation. Once it is in Australia it falls under the jurisdiction of the state or territory unless it was illegally imported..

Scopes are legit a piece of glass. Like a telescope they are a non regulated part by the fed and the state. I buy stuff from brownells all the time.

Charging handles are not even a regulated part because it is just a piece of steel or plastic.

Scroll down to the firearm parts on the ABF website to see what you need a permit for.

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-export ... mportation.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2024, 3:42 pm

Gordie_Howe wrote:Hi All,

I'm an ex-pat that is returning from NZ, very soon.

I'm licenced 'here' (in NZ) but not 'there' (in Vic).

I've been away for sometime and I can't get a grip on what I can bring back with me in my household contents - and what I can't.

I was hoping that I could bring my scopes and what-ever else that I would be permitted to own, but I can't find any guidelines on what I could possess in Vic, in the intervening period, while unlicenced.

Does anyone know what we can possess?
Does everything need a Permit to Acquire?

Regards,
GH

Only the action is a firearm here, you can possess barrels, magazines, etc without licencing, also bullets and brass are unregulated. Only firearms require permits to acquire.

Anything you possess must be legal here though, so no rimfire rifle mags over 15rd, centrefire rifle mags over 10rd, or any handgun mags over 10rd.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 02 Apr 2024, 9:07 pm

You will need to contact ABF, who, when your firearms arrive in Australia after safe passage with your shipping agent, will then subject the 'arms to scrutiny with respect to safety mechanism, safe trigger, etc. I should warn you here that the safe trigger test includes what is known as the "drop test". Go right ahead - look it up. There is a prescribed method which says from what height, onto what type of surface, etc. Yep, scary s**t. And rifle stocks have been broken. But that test doesn't apply to a 'arm that is specifically a target rifle. Good luck with proving that.
I would also suggest that you get the acquaintance of a good firearms dealer so that he can uplift them from ABF for you until such time as you are licenced.
Good luck with your move.
The best part is that you said you are going to Victoria - just as well it's not the Peoples Republic of WA.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 03 Apr 2024, 12:55 am

No1_49er wrote:You will need to contact ABF, who, when your firearms arrive in Australia after safe passage with your shipping agent, will then subject the 'arms to scrutiny with respect to safety mechanism, safe trigger, etc. I should warn you here that the safe trigger test includes what is known as the "drop test". Go right ahead - look it up. There is a prescribed method which says from what height, onto what type of surface, etc. Yep, scary s**t. And rifle stocks have been broken. But that test doesn't apply to a 'arm that is specifically a target rifle. Good luck with proving that.
I would also suggest that you get the acquaintance of a good firearms dealer so that he can uplift them from ABF for you until such time as you are licenced.
Good luck with your move.
The best part is that you said you are going to Victoria - just as well it's not the Peoples Republic of WA.

Or SA
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Apr 2024, 3:34 pm

Whats wrong with SA,?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gordie_Howe » 03 Apr 2024, 6:29 pm

Thanks all.
Gordie_Howe
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 03 Apr 2024, 7:56 pm

bigpete wrote:Whats wrong with SA,?

Try moving there from another state
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws