Storing rifle for a friends whose license might expire ok?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Storing rifle for a friends whose license might expire ok?

Post by jays » 04 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

A mate of mine has got himself into a bit of a predicament.

His license is due for renewal at the moment and he got the paperwork a while ago, but due to other distractions he lost track of time and now has 10 days before his license expires. The paperwork says he should have the license renewal in at least a week before and that if it's late his renewal will be treated as a new license application and he'll have to go through the whole process again.

Bookings the firearm safety course, waiting a month and all that.

If it comes to that, he'll still have the rifle but not a license for that time... If he doesn't get it in in time, is it Ok to stick his rifle in my safe for a month or two while he goes through the process again?

Don't want any drama with the police coming round to collect it off him and it not be there, or me having a rifle I shouldn't have and so on...

Cool or no?
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Storing rifle for a friends whose license might expire o

Post by Antie » 04 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

Don't know Victorian laws for storing for friends sorry. He can definitely store it at a his LGS though while he sorts his license out.

It's like $30 a month or something at most dealers.
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 04 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

Yes, it's fine.

If you want a little extra reassurance just get a letter from him saying he has given you permission to have it and that you're storing it temporarily for him.

You can use that to explain why you have an extra rifle if you have an inspection during that time.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 04 Oct 2013, 2:59 pm

AusC wrote:Yes, it's fine.

Just to clarify that point.

It's fine if you have the appropriate category license.

e.g. If you both have category A/B licenses then you can handle whatever he has.

If you only have a category A license do not store a category B firearm for him.

That will land you in trouble.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 04 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

Shouldn't be a hassle assuming everyone's licensed.

To cover all your bases a copy of his permit for the rifle itself wouldn't hurt. So the cops have some paperwork on the serial etc.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jays » 17 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

Sorry for the late reply on this, but just as some extra info for anyone in the future...

I spoke with my locals cops and it turns out it's ok to still be storing your rifles if your license expires IF you've put in your license renewal before the expiry date.

If you're license expires and you haven't submitted your renewal stuff then you have to give it up to be stored elsewhere.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws