Cat a/b licence test

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Cat a/b licence test

Post by Matt1 » 11 Jul 2013, 8:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I have my firearms safety course for my cat a/b licence in a week. Any tips for me?

Not sure how tough it is. Anything I need to know outside the book?
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Cat a/b licence test

Post by Blackened » 12 Jul 2013, 9:07 am

It's not tough mate.

Just focus on what the safest possible answer is an use common sense. If it sounds like being overly cautious, it's the right answer.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 12 Jul 2013, 10:31 am

You'll laugh when you see some of the test questions. Some of the answers are so painfully obvious.

I recall one of them people about what is the perfect backdrop for shooting, and the options are something like:

a) A rock wall or hard surface
b) Shooting over the horizon
c) A high dirt bank with no stones or hard objects

Real tough to work out :roll:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

Yeah, you won't have any trouble.

The safest option is always the right one, even if it seems a bit pedantic.
Member-Deleted

Post by Prettybird » 12 Jul 2013, 12:15 pm

Norton wrote:You'll laugh when you see some of the test questions. Some of the answers are so painfully obvious.

I recall one of them people about what is the perfect backdrop for shooting, and the options are something like:

a) A rock wall or hard surface
b) Shooting over the horizon
c) A high dirt bank with no stones or hard objects

Real tough to work out :roll:

Hmm.

Nice soft dirt, or a wall to ricochet off.

Yup, that's a tough choice.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 12 Jul 2013, 4:03 pm

There is one about climbing over a fence when shooting with others that has something like

"Hand your unloaded gun to a friend before climbing the fence"
or
"Strap the loaded firearm to your back"

And the second one has a picture of two shooters tangled in a fence and nearly falling over :roll:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

The only one that might trip you up which stuck in my mind is about what a firearm safety is. I forgot the answers exactly but the first was something like

"A mechanical device which stops a firearm from discharging and nearly never fails."

To me that answer is correct, but it isn't the answer they wanted on the test.

The "correct" answer was something like "as supplement for safe firearms handling".

Also try, but one that could trip people up. The guy running the course when I did my safety test repeated the "supplement" bit literally a dozen times, so I assume that's one people get wrong with some regularity.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 16 Jul 2013, 9:52 am

They're easy mate.

You'll have your shooters licence in no time.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jul 2013, 10:09 am

Vati wrote:They're easy mate.

No time + 2 months to get your licence and first FA, lol.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Prettybird » 06 Aug 2013, 9:38 am

Lorgar wrote:
Vati wrote:They're easy mate.

No time + 2 months to get your licence and first FA, lol.

Gotta love some of the US laws. I think it's 3 days in some states there?
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tarnagulla » 06 Aug 2013, 5:44 pm

Some states are just "over the counter" - unfortunately that leads to lunatics easily acquiring firearms, and causing mayhem.

BTW, in Victoria, you can now send an Application for a Permit To Acquire with your A/B licence application. The licence application is considered first, and if you get that right, it is set aside for the prescribed 28 days.

The PTA application however is assessed right after the licence application, and again if you have ticked all the right boxes, it too will be approved, and "diaried" for 28 days.

You will receive the data sheet for the licence first, and shortly after payment is made, you will receive your Permit To Acquire.
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Matt1 » 07 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

I'm am in Victoria. Already done and sent everything off for the licence though, so missed out on putting in PTA at same time :(

Oh well, a couple of weeks more won't kill me.
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by inspector » 11 Aug 2013, 3:36 pm

tarnagulla wrote:Some states are just "over the counter" - unfortunately that leads to lunatics easily acquiring firearms, and causing mayhem.

BTW, in Victoria, you can now send an Application for a Permit To Acquire with your A/B licence application. The licence application is considered first, and if you get that right, it is set aside for the prescribed 28 days.

The PTA application however is assessed right after the licence application, and again if you have ticked all the right boxes, it too will be approved, and "diaried" for 28 days.

You will receive the data sheet for the licence first, and shortly after payment is made, you will receive your Permit To Acquire.

That's what I did when I got my license way back when. Saved me about 2 weeks wait.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Grated » 13 Aug 2013, 2:57 pm

tarnagulla wrote:Some states are just "over the counter" - unfortunately that leads to lunatics easily acquiring firearms, and causing mayhem.

Somewhere in between the US and Aus for laws would be the sweet spot I reckon.

I'm all for some basic licensing to prevent convicted crims from being able to buy FA's no questions asked, but many of the hoops law abiding Aussies have to jump through to get and keep their gear, especially in other states, are pointless IMO.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Broom » 15 Aug 2013, 10:30 am

Grated wrote:Somewhere in between the US and Aus for laws would be the sweet spot I reckon.

Bring back semi-auto's and do away with the registry crap I reckon. That would do me.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by BobWilliams61 » 08 Jul 2019, 12:14 pm

Did my test 2 months ago and agree with everyone, it's the safest answer each time and read the book, also a few questions on the regs, safe construction, time to notify when you changed address etc.
But it was not a walk in the park for some, out of 25 on my night 2 failed and 2 elected not to sit the test (don’t know what that’s about?). Oh and don’t forget you’re photo ID, they hold onto it till after the exam and hand it back with the VP 1269 form if you pass.
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sturmmann » 02 Aug 2019, 9:45 am

Have a question regarding the firearm safety course, is the safety booklet enough to pass the test (read it about 5 times now!!), or are there other components I need to know?

Safety test is tomorrow evening and I am getting a little nervous.
Sturmmann
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 09 Aug 2019, 7:23 pm

Well, you should have your certificate by now, and you will realise you didn't have anything to worry about. It aint rocket science, right. I didn't see the post until tonight. From an instructors point of view, the pre-amble to our courses is basically, if you do not understand what we are saying, ASK, PUT YOUR HAND UP, WE DONT WANT YOU TO FAIL. THERE ARE NO SILLY QUESTIONS, etc etc. The "students" who have the most trouble are those with English as a second language. We have on occassions, sat down with a student, one on one, and gone through the exam with them. We will help students having problems understand the question if they are having an issue. It becomes very obvious, very quickly when a student is not going to get it, OR. when a student is a problem in general. i.e. the ones who won't listen and want to disagree with the whole course and its content. I have seen students fail because they are only there because of peer pressure from mates and they just don't want to do it.
Yes you can apply for a Permit to Acquire at the same time you put your License application in. At this present time, the wait is way more than 28 days for the License, and I don't need to tell everyone its up to a week or more for new PTA's in Vic. No more going for a coffee and waiting for the call from the shop.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Aug 2019, 12:08 pm

Does that include electronic pta?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 11 Aug 2019, 12:22 pm

Elect PTA. All forms can be downloaded and completed on line. You still have to print, sign and mail in.. Remember all these forms go to LRD. Anything mailed to VicPol goes in File 13.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sturmmann » 22 Aug 2019, 2:32 pm

Yes, A/B licence was very straight forward, needed 10/10 from the Gun Law Test & 28/30 to pass the exam. All but 1 passed. The one that didnt pass, really stuffed up. He got about 5 correct, not kidding.

I submitted my docs & PTA the next day, was received 9th August.. So hopefully 28 working days will fall around 17/18 September.. Now its just a waiting game.
Sturmmann
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Aug 2019, 5:33 pm

The test we had to take was 5 sections and 20 to 30 questions per section. It was NOT straight forward and some questions could be read different ways resulting in different answers...
2 ppl left before finishing section 1 after realising how hard it was going to be - others were dismissed from the class as they failed a section...at the end of the course, only 50% of applicants remained...despite the facilitator advising he wanted / needed as many ppl passing as possible...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sarco » 22 Aug 2019, 8:16 pm

I did my A/B Vic test in Northern Suburbs of Melb 2009 or '10 (Epping), while I had had a Cat H license for over 20 years. There were quite a number of people there, considering the information I was given that there were to be 12 candidates.
As it turned out, with many of the candidates, English was not their first language and they were allowed to have a mate or family member there to "interpret" for them, this included the testing. Hence the numbers. The "interpreters" were encouraged to also do the license test and some certainly did so.
I believe everyone passed.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws