Maintaining pistol license too much of a pain?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Maintaining pistol license too much of a pain?

Post by schink » 24 Oct 2013, 9:59 am

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about getting my pistol license for a while, but I'm thinking it might be too much of a pain for me to maintain.

I like to get out to the rifle range when I can, but it can be once in a fortnight or once in 2-3 months depending on how things go.

Condition of having a handgun in Victoria though is you have to do 16 official shoots per year? :(

I can see that becoming a pain in the ass quickly...

Anyone find maintaining their pistol license a pain?
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Maintaining pistol license too much of a pain?

Post by Aster » 24 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

schink wrote:Condition of having a handgun in Victoria though is you have to do 16 official shoots per year? :(

No, not quite. Number of shoots is based on how many difference classes of handgun you have. Classes are:

1. Air handgun
2. Rimfire handgun
3. Centrefire handgun with a calibre of .38 inch or less or a black powder handgun
4. Centrefire handgun with a calibre of more than .38 inch but not more than .45 inch

Number(s) of shoots required are:

1 class of pistol - 10 shoots
2 classes of pistol - 10 shoots
3 classes of pistol - 12 shoots
4 classes of pistol - 16 shoots

On top of that:

6 of these events must be matches;
6 of these events must be as a competitor;
4 events for each class of handguns owned (matches or shoots); and
Participation must take place on no less than 10 separate days.

From the sounds of things you're only looking at a single pistol? If that's the case it would be 10 mandatory shoots.

Not quite 16, but still a commitment.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Prios » 24 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

Envying the yanks a bit right now.

"Not a criminal? Here, have a pistol"
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Pilch » 24 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

So 4 of the same pistol type = 10 shoots

but...

4 different pistols = 16 shoots.

I guess that made sense somehow in some politicians mind somewhere...
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Norton » 24 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

Pilch wrote:I guess that made sense somehow in some politicians mind somewhere...

C'mon now, they have so many laws to impose on us they don't have time to think them all the way through :roll:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Monty » 24 Oct 2013, 1:04 pm

It's a commitment, no doubt.

If you fail to meet the requirements I believe your license is automatically cancelled for 12 months.

If you want to shoot again following that you have to go through the license applications process again too. It's not just automatically reinstated upon request.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by keen » 27 Oct 2013, 2:03 am

Monty wrote:If you fail to meet the requirements I believe your license is automatically cancelled for 12 months.

If you want to shoot again following that you have to go through the license applications process again too. It's not just automatically reinstated upon request.

They really don't want you to have a pistol do they :|
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by schink » 06 Feb 2014, 10:32 am

keen wrote:They really don't want you to have a pistol do they :|

I think they've got their way in this case.

I'm been mulling it over for ages but in the end I can't justify it.

So no pistol shooting for me.
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 06 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

schink wrote:
keen wrote:They really don't want you to have a pistol do they :|

I think they've got their way in this case.

I'm been mulling it over for ages but in the end I can't justify it.

So no pistol shooting for me.

I think you have made the right decision shink, but really the commitment required isn't too arduous.

Participation Requirements for Target Shooting
Handgun target shooting licence holders must satisfy the following participation requirements unless the licence holder does not possess
a handgun or is a body corporate.
If you possess only one specified class of handgun -
• Every full calendar year you must –
o participate in at least six approved target shooting matches on at least six separate days; and
o participate in at least four handgun target shoots or approved target shooting matches or a combination of both on at least four separate
days. These days cannot be the same days as the six compulsory match days detailed in the point above. See table below.

If you possess more than one specified class of handgun -
• Every full calendar year -
o you must participate in at least six approved target shooting matches on at least six separate days; and
o for each class of handgun you possess, you must participate in at least four handgun target shoots or approved target shooting matches
or a combination of both on at least four separate days. Four of these days cannot be the same days as the six compulsory match days
detailed in the point above. See table below.
Regardless of how many classes of handguns you possess, you must participate in a minimum of six of the required matches and shoots as a
competitor; however, participation in a match or shoot as a supervisor, competition judge or range officer can be counted towards your participation
requirements for the remainder of the matches and shoots. In addition, a person who conducts a handgun safety course of a class approved by the
Chief Commissioner is deemed to have competed in an approved handgun target shooting match.

Out of 365 days they ask you commitment on 10 days of the year.

You are right the really don't want hand guns it the hands of people that are not prepared or interested enough to put the work in.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 3336,d.aGc
Last edited by Guliver on 06 Feb 2014, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 06 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

That's stupid. In nsw it's only 6 attendances per class, you don't have to shoot a match afaik just attend and sign the club book. I've also been told if your club shoots hi-cal there is no attendance requirement for this.

Some club rules vary from this as they want to get more money out if you.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Feb 2014, 1:02 pm

Chronos wrote:That's stupid. In nsw it's only 6 attendances per class, you don't have to shoot a match afaik just attend and sign the club book. I've also been told if your club shoots hi-cal there is no attendance requirement for this.

Chronos

In NSW you have to do 6 attendances if you have 1 pistol. If you own 2 or more different calibres then it's 4 attendances per calibre. And you have to submit a score for it to count as an attendance. Scores for practice shoots count as an attendance though so you don't have to shoot in the main competition.

Pistol laws in Australia are designed to keep people who aren't willing to jump through the hoops from getting them. That being said I reckon it's worth it in the end. It's a whole different side of shooting, not as precise as rifle shooting but faster and more instinctual.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 06 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
Chronos wrote:That's stupid. In nsw it's only 6 attendances per class, you don't have to shoot a match afaik just attend and sign the club book. I've also been told if your club shoots hi-cal there is no attendance requirement for this.

Chronos

In NSW you have to do 6 attendances if you have 1 pistol. If you own 2 or more different calibres then it's 4 attendances per calibre. And you have to submit a score for it to count as an attendance. Scores for practice shoots count as an attendance though so you don't have to shoot in the main competition.

Pistol laws in Australia are designed to keep people who aren't willing to jump through the hoops from getting them. That being said I reckon it's worth it in the end. It's a whole different side of shooting, not as precise as rifle shooting but faster and more instinctual.

Thanks for clarifying

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by loaded » 23 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

I think the pistol laws are good. Correctly pointed out above.
It keeps out the people that are not serious about it, while protecting those that are.
If you love the sport 10 times a year is nothing.
The only part of the law I would change is the $46.10 for the permit to acquire, same processing as a rifle so it should be the same.
loaded
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 23 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

IMO it's not the 10 times a year that's the problem for most people, it's the lack of flexibility that's the problem.

e.g. have to go and shoot in an 'official' session etc. Yet not allowed to go sign in and practice on their own time table.

Requirements fine, but a bit of flexibility wouldn't hurt anyone.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 24 Feb 2014, 11:36 am

SendIt wrote:IMO it's not the 10 times a year that's the problem for most people, it's the lack of flexibility that's the problem.

e.g. have to go and shoot in an 'official' session etc. Yet not allowed to go sign in and practice on their own time table.

Requirements fine, but a bit of flexibility wouldn't hurt anyone.

I have 24 hr access to the club range for air pistol, guns that go bang pretty much daylight hours 7 days a week.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 24 Feb 2014, 1:15 pm

Obviously the majority of people do not though.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MRadd » 09 Aug 2023, 11:41 pm

Hello everyone,
Some clarification needs. In my mate's General Cat H licence letter
SPECIAL CONDITIONS
1. You must notify the Licensing & Regulation Division of any change in residential,
storage or mailing address, employer, relevant employment responsibilities / roles,
or other details affecting your licence within 14 days of the change taking place.
Failure to do so is an offence. Contact should be made via mail, facsimile or e-mail.
2. A holder of a general category handgun licence for the reason of target shooting
must not possess, carry or use a general category handgun;
(a) unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner, any handgun that has a barrel
length of
(i) in the case of a semi-automatic handgun, less than 120mm
(ii) in the case of a revolver or single shot handgun, less than 100mm; or

(b) unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner any handgun that has a calibre of
more than .45 inch or
(c) unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner , any handgun that has a calibre of
more than .38 inch but not more than .45 inch or

(d) a handgun that has a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.
** End of Special Conditions **

Does it means that the only available max. calibre is .38 (9mm.)?
I saw a lot of people in the clubs using .40 .44 .45ACP - how is it possible if 2. A holder of a general category handgun licence for the reason of target shooting
must not possess, carry or use a general category handgun... unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner, any handgun that has a calibre of

:unknown:
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Aug 2023, 11:51 pm

MRadd wrote:Hello everyone,
Some clarification needs. In my mate's General Cat H licence letter
SPECIAL CONDITIONS
1. You must notify the Licensing & Regulation Division of any change in residential,
storage or mailing address, employer, relevant employment responsibilities / roles,
or other details affecting your licence within 14 days of the change taking place.
Failure to do so is an offence. Contact should be made via mail, facsimile or e-mail.
2. A holder of a general category handgun licence for the reason of target shooting
must not possess, carry or use a general category handgun;
(a) unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner, any handgun that has a barrel
length of
(i) in the case of a semi-automatic handgun, less than 120mm
(ii) in the case of a revolver or single shot handgun, less than 100mm; or

(b) unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner any handgun that has a calibre of
more than .45 inch or
(c) unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner , any handgun that has a calibre of

(d) a handgun that has a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.
** End of Special Conditions **

Does it means that the only available max. calibre is .38 (9mm.)?
I saw a lot of people in the clubs using .40 .44 .45ACP - how is it possible if 2. A holder of a general category handgun licence for the reason of target shooting
must not possess, carry or use a general category handgun... unless authorised by the Chief Commissioner, any handgun that has a calibre of

:unknown:

The answer is right there in your post, read it carefully. it says quite clearly "UNLESS AUTHORISED". Your Club Secretary can approve your application for a 45, upon which you will receive an authority from the Chief Commissioner for an over calibre pistol
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MRadd » 10 Aug 2023, 12:02 am

No1Mk3 wrote:The answer is right there in your post, read it carefully. it says quite clearly "UNLESS AUTHORISED". Your Club Secretary can approve your application for a 45, upon which you will receive an authority from the Chief Commissioner for an over calibre pistol

Thanks a lot! I was confused with ...authorised by the Chief Commissioner...
As far as I understand, the approved PTA is the "authorization by the Chief Commissioner." Am I correct?
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Aug 2023, 3:39 pm

MRadd wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:The answer is right there in your post, read it carefully. it says quite clearly "UNLESS AUTHORISED". Your Club Secretary can approve your application for a 45, upon which you will receive an authority from the Chief Commissioner for an over calibre pistol

Thanks a lot! I was confused with ...authorised by the Chief Commissioner...
As far as I understand, the approved PTA is the "authorization by the Chief Commissioner." Am I correct?

Yes, the PTA is issued on the condition of an Approval having been granted, and appears on your firearm list with the words "Permit to Use A Purpose Built Handgun" The exception to this rule in Victoria are Black Powder Cap & Ball revolvers which are not required to be Authorised and are just Class 3
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MRadd » 10 Aug 2023, 7:08 pm

Thank you very much, you are legend!
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 11 Aug 2023, 11:26 pm

I don't think it has been mentioned, but if you have NO handguns, there is not an attendance requirement.

Many clubs have club handguns that members can use, so you do not necessarily have to own a handgun if do want to become a handgun shooter in Vic. This means that even if you only shoot every couple of months it is all OK,

BUT you must remain a member of a handgun shooting club, or your license will be cancelled.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Aug 2023, 3:33 am

Thanks for that Sarco. Not something I was aware of.
I’ve had an interest but never pursued it.
Tbh the reason I never wanted to own handguns is the risk that police may leak owners addresses to organised crime. It’s happened before and I don’t want to put my family at risk.
And what happened in WA with the newspaper kinda re affirmed that.
But there sure are a lot of pistol shooing clubs around and I might have to check it out now. If i can shoot them occasionally without owning that would be great fun.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws