travelling with a .22lr through national parks

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

travelling with a .22lr through national parks

Post by 83neil » 14 Dec 2015, 7:48 pm

how would i go about taking a .22 with me on 4wd camping trips where i would be travelling through state forest/state park/nat park?
83neil
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: travelling with a .22lr through national parks

Post by southeast varmiter » 14 Dec 2015, 7:52 pm

State forest you can discreetly carry firearms to legally hunt. If your transiting through a national park it needs to be stored in your vehicle as if you were in a public place. You cannot carry a firearm in national parks.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2015, 9:22 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:If your transiting through a national park it needs to be stored in your vehicle as if you were in a public place. You cannot carry a firearm in national parks.

Im not convinced thats ok. Where did you hear that?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SteamedHam » 14 Dec 2015, 9:49 pm

This is anecdotal.

But my workmate lost his firearms because he was 'traveling between SF' and had to traverse through National park. Got caught, they did a full inspection - found firearms. He lost his firearms until a court date because of having a firearm in a national park.

This workmates story is dodgy, so I don't really believe him...... But I think you should just not carry a firearm at all if you're going into a National Park..simple.
SteamedHam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 14 Dec 2015, 10:46 pm

There are documents on the subject. From DEWLP or whatever. On deer hunting and feral hunting. You can stalk deer in National Parks and State forests so you are able to carry in your vehicle. I'm visiting in East Gipsland, applied for my hunting licence, was granted so, l am lurking about in the State forests. There are available on the web, maps that define the areas where you can hunt. Vic is a most enlightened State as far as hunting is concerned. They have info sheets and booklets on where and what caliber you can use.

You can't have dogs in National parks but you can travel through them with a dog as long as they don't get out of the vehicle. If you have a 22 in a national park it is not a deer hunting caliber so you cannot have it in your posession in a camp as, you cannot shoot ferals in National parks. You can pass through. You can shoot ferals in State forests so 22 is no problem.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 15 Dec 2015, 7:29 am

P3sevens post is my understanding too.
Pita when you travel through a small piece of NP between state forests, ie Jamieson to Licola via Mt Skene. Small part of Mt skene is alpine NP, rest is all state forest.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Dec 2015, 8:49 am

Unless you're hunting Deer in the few National Park Areas, with a compliant firearm or Bow, during season, during the right hours while also considering the light sources you're carrying in your group........

Don't.

With the few exceptions as above, Firearms are strictly verboten (AKA nay nay) in 'parks'

The roads or tracks through Parks are still 'park', carrying is possession.... the main roads that you might be bisecting parks and forests would be zoned as 'ROAD' and not technically park, but try arguing with the police while theyre packing your rifle away 'safely' into their boot....

National Parks Act 1975
44 Guns etc. not to be carried in parks
(1) Subject to sections 36, 37 and 37AA a person shall not in a park carry or have in his possession a gun or other weapon.
Penalty: 20 penalty units.
(2) Subject to sections 36 and 37 a person shall not in a park use a gun or other weapon.
Penalty: 20 penalty units.

Elsewhere on public land, possession of a firearm in conjunction with a spotlight, can be problematic as well..... and a spotlight is defined as "... a source of artificial light" That is not a domestic or emergency light....

If you know exactly what areas you'll be traveling through, might be worth touching base with the local law & park authorities...don't bother trying to 'sneak' it into the campsite, most likely a 'blitz' will see you coming out second best, there was recently a significant operation out Alpine way that ruined a few camping and day trips, you know, chasing the crims in the bush :roll:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Humir » 15 Dec 2015, 9:25 am

Not what you asked by sort of goes to it a bit.

Be aware it's the same for travelling with any firearm. Centrefire or rimfire.

You won't get a warning if you shortcut through somewhere you're not supposed to be carrying one because it's "just a 22" if you know what I mean.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by 83neil » 15 Dec 2015, 9:40 am

It seems to be another crazy rule, I can have my .308 but not my .22 as we all know u can't shoot ferals with a .308!
If I can be trusted not to shoot it with a .308 why can't I be trusted to not shoot it with a.22?
83neil
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Dec 2015, 9:46 am

If you're allowed to shoot deer in a NP, then youre only allowed to shoot deer..... a 22 would be illegal for deer and illegal for vermin/ferals....

A lot of our laws leave logic behind, what can you do, just nod your head and comply....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by lole » 04 Jan 2016, 9:18 am

Trample logic to death more like...
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 04 Jan 2016, 9:34 am

To get to Lady Noisy's farm I have to drive through about 300 metres of national park on a gazetted public road. The park starts at her boundary fence. I reckon there's potential there for a vigorous roadside debate with a national park nazi.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Jan 2016, 11:13 am

Noisydad wrote:To get to Lady Noisy's farm I have to drive through about 300 metres of national park on a gazetted public road. The park starts at her boundary fence. I reckon there's potential there for a vigorous roadside debate with a national park nazi.

You sure its actually gazetted? If the road is 'zoned' as a 'Road' carry the A4 zoning map in the glove box and stay within the 100feet or whatever the reserve is in width...

http://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/

I would never rely on the 'location' or boundary of a park from the online mapping resources - after my recent interaction with the relevant department with regard to the accuracy of those mapping services, basically its a guide and no one is really tasked with keeping the info correct or up to date. Wrong / old names, non-located/mislocated etc doesnmatter.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Noisydad » 04 Jan 2016, 5:03 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Noisydad wrote:To get to Lady Noisy's farm I have to drive through about 300 metres of national park on a gazetted public road. The park starts at her boundary fence. I reckon there's potential there for a vigorous roadside debate with a national park nazi.

You sure its actually gazetted? If the road is 'zoned' as a 'Road' carry the A4 zoning map in the glove box and stay within the 100feet or whatever the reserve is in width...

http://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/

I would never rely on the 'location' or boundary of a park from the online mapping resources - after my recent interaction with the relevant department with regard to the accuracy of those mapping services, basically its a guide and no one is really tasked with keeping the info correct or up to date. Wrong / old names, non-located/mislocated etc doesnmatter.....

I've got LN looking into this to make sure.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 04 Jan 2016, 6:42 pm

I've been 4wding latelly in a few state forests around here in vic and have wanted to take a rifle ( 303 ) in with me as its deer country but both times have decided against it at least minute, the feds can make it up on the spot and its your responsibility to proove otherwise, not with risking my license
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2016, 7:46 pm

Sounds like the classic "can of worms"
My view is driving through a Nat or Sate Park with a firearm in the car is risky. ( I dont do it) Sometimes this stuff is very subjective until its in front of the judge, and then it has cost a lot of time & money to defend your self & prove the local officer made an error in judgement. Even though you may well be considered to be "transporting the unloaded firearm" until it leaves the car. Too late then, might take a year to get to court.

I would want to see its Ok in black & white & in triplicate.

How stupid is all this if you cant "travel" through Nat Park. Bet there are plenty of SF you have no choice to get to it but drive through Nat Park
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 08 Jan 2016, 11:05 am

Not saying you have it wrong but that sounds weird that she is completely surrounded by national park?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2016, 1:27 pm

So, I was interested in a definitive answer to this question. I downloaded a copy of the National Parks Act of Vic & this is what I found this on Pg 147

Nat park Possession.JPG
Nat park Possession.JPG (59.93 KiB) Viewed 9107 times

It looks to me that just pulling off the road with a gun in the boot would be illegal. (I think if its in your car it would be considered in your possession) However I am guessing that a driving through on a major public road would be OK as I don't think the road is part of a National Park. A dirt track would I think be considered within the Park. FYI a penalty point is currently $152 and there is mention of confiscation of guns elsewhere in the Act. It also talks about no carrying or using, so that is fairly clear I think.

Mind you I may be wrong. Just an opinion.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Jan 2016, 3:42 pm

Sorry....I've dug a bit deeper, and zoning is not enough, even though the zoned road might be vested with the local council who maintains them (the road are listed on their public road register)....

ONLY the declared/arterial roads, such as the Maroondah Highway, when running through Parks, are NOT parks. The signs will say you're in a NP, but you're not, really until you leave the reservation. Pull over - not necessarily in the Park.... just yet.

When it comes to the collector/secondary roads, down to unsealed goat tracks; the 'law' is clear under the Nat Park Act/Regs that when there is park on both sides... the road is 'park'. Even though the roads would mostly be maintained by the Councils.

The only way to be safe, if you regularly drive 'through' a park, is to get an ok from the authority, the Parks Manager, which would not be unreasonable, given its the only route to a dwelling.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2016, 9:54 pm

So, G93, are you saying only the freeways are ok? All other rds are considered park
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Jan 2016, 6:22 am

Freeways and arterial roads. Which are aka declared main roads.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2016, 7:09 am

Have you thought about ringing those who make these decisions as to whether or not it's ok, that's what I would be doing instead of asking the keyboard experts here who more than likely don't really know the answer but will give one anyway!

Be smart and ask the proper authorities on whether it's ok or not before you end up in the poo, better safe than sorry I reckon (also get it in writing if you can ie a email or letter).
Last edited by bigfellascott on 09 Jan 2016, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2016, 7:09 am

Where did you find that info?

And how the hell is the average person going to comply when the law is so complicated and dificult to work out?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 09 Jan 2016, 8:13 am

LN's situation is that her farm (and others) is on one side of the road and the national park/state forest is on the other.The national park bit is directly opposite her driveway and starts about 300 yards along the road from her driveway then its state forest. There is only one road in.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Jan 2016, 9:47 am

Under the Nat Park Regs, section 6,
.....Meaning of park
......a part of a road that—
(i) is bounded on each side by a park; and
(ii) is not a freeway or an arterial road.

Whats not clear is whether the Act considers the meaning of 'park', for the purposes of the offence of carrying the firearm, per the legislative instrument (the Regs)
-----------
Of interest I came across a reference to hunting pest animals which is permitted apparently in a Lake Albacutya Park (between Horsham and Mildura); so this may be the only Park in Vic where you can hunt rabbit fox and cats....not surprisingly it doesn't mention this within the visitors guide published by Parks Vic...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Jan 2016, 9:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Have you thought about ringing those who make these decisions as to whether or not it's ok, that's what I would be doing instead of asking the keyboard experts here who more than likely don't really know the answer but will give one anyway!

Be smart and ask the proper authorities on whether it's ok or not before you end up in the poo, better safe than sorry I reckon (also get it in writing if you can ie a email or letter).

The reason for forums, I understood, was to share ideas, opinions, ask questions....
So you think its wiser not to ask?, because a kb expert (also KB sniper) may throw some ideas in?
when it comes to matters such as this it is if high interest to many who find themselves traveling with firearms, this kind of discussion is invaluable. Most people are intelligent enough to decipher the bulldung from the worthwhile info, and especially when it comes to firearms, given the complicated and so highly regulated nature, err on the safe side, that is, if you're not sure whether you can carry your rifles somewhere - you don't.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2016, 11:36 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Have you thought about ringing those who make these decisions as to whether or not it's ok, that's what I would be doing instead of asking the keyboard experts here who more than likely don't really know the answer but will give one anyway!

The reason for forums, I understood, was to share ideas, opinions, ask questions....
So you think its wiser not to ask?, because a kb expert (also KB sniper) may throw some ideas in?
when it comes to matters such as this it is if high interest to many who find themselves traveling with firearms, this kind of discussion is invaluable. Most people are intelligent enough to decipher the bulldung from the worthwhile info, and especially when it comes to firearms, given the complicated and so highly regulated nature, err on the safe side, that is, if you're not sure whether you can carry your rifles somewhere - you don't.

No I said ask those who make and apply the rules not some numbnuts with an opinion which may lead the gullible into a legal issue they later regret, I hope that's clear enough for you and simple enough to understand! :D

P.S. One would be an idiot to take legal advice from nobodies on a forum. If it was me I'd be in contact with the NP head office, explain what it is I'm wanting to do and find out if it's ok to do so and if it is I'd get them to put it in writing on an official letter head and keep that with you at all times when traveling through said park, that way if something does happen you can prove that you've done everything in your power to do the right thing or you could tell them you were speaking to Genesis93 on a shooting forum that said it would be ok cos he said so! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm

BFS, When calling vic gov departments you often just get someone who parrots the info they want to give you off an idiot sheet. Or they fob you off. The idea of getting it in writing, that is just a dream. If you cant find it of their web site you are on your own.

Ps g93 has quoted the act so should be good info, not just an old wives tale.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jan 2016, 6:48 am

Cheers mate I'm sure the info he's posted is correct but I'd still rather speak to someone who should know the rules and run it past them to be on the safe side, can get rather expensive to find out what we interpreted as being ok isn't. You only have to look at our firearms regs and the confusion that comes from trying to interpret them and the way they are applied at times. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 10 Jan 2016, 7:44 am

Just contact the local ranger
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next