Value of exciting shooter associations?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Value of exciting shooter associations?

Post by headspace » 06 Jan 2016, 11:52 am

Robert Borsak of the Shooters and Fishers Party has just been interviewed by Fox News. You can read his comments on the S&F website. The full interview will be put on the site as soon as he can get the footage. No I'm not a member, but I support what he's doing, or trying to do. I find that some of the negativity seen here a bit depressing at times. Better to get behind and support those who ARE doing something other that moaning.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Redwood » 11 Jan 2016, 7:44 am

headspace wrote:Better to get behind and support those who ARE doing something other that moaning.

Admittedly I'm guilty of a bit of moaning, but you're right.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by dugachelli » 16 Jan 2016, 7:14 pm

Think of this, There are people who want to ban all consumption of meat, they care about animal welfare.
There are people who want all off road bikes and 4WD's banned from all National parks and beaches because they care about the environment.

And so there are people out there who believe that if they remove all legally owned guns from society that they will will make it a safer place!!!!
They start small and slow but just keep pounding away at it until they succeed, they are very good at using the media to get their point across.

So you see if GOOD PEOPLE do nothing, these groups are allowed to rise up unhindered and through the media and politics get their wishes across WHILE we SLEEP not caring, complacent and uninvolved, they just keep working at it and then suddenly our freedoms are under threat, then gone and we cannot get them back back. (ie duck shooting)
That I believe is the value of being joined to shooting groups and organizations so that the we stay connected, informed and by our sheer weight of numbers ( which can be counted up IF we belong to groups and clubs etc) cannot be ignored. Sometimes being a part of shooting groups or organizations may seem a waste of time and money BUT there are people out there who want to take our freedoms away, let's not let them by staying united and aware and fight to hang on to our those thing we value and enjoy before it's too late.

There is no point to this forum if we don't have guns.

I own a 4WD and go fishing , camping and shooting.....I want to keep them, don't you?.......become involved and stay involved and keep up the support.
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 16 Jan 2016, 10:50 pm

dugachelli, excellent response. Best one I think. Thank you!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Jan 2016, 1:26 am

What are the value of shooter associations? Ask Obama and Hillary about the US's NRA. I admit that we also have the advantage of a Constitution and a Bill of Rights. But people, it takes an organized organization to really make the impact.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 17 Jan 2016, 1:30 am

Yeah, organised organisation... That's what got me asking this questions here, in AU. I took the liberty of fixing the spelling for you too :p
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by dhv » 17 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm

As the National President of one of only 3 hunting organisations in the room last year at the launch of the Shooting Industry Foundation of Australia (SIFA) and the Parliamentary Friends of Shooters, I think I can offer a unique perspective on this.

My observations are that the vast majority of shooters are not committed to the ownership of firearms. I make that statement based on the fact that all shooting organisations combined only count something like 20% of fire arm license holders as members, so there are a lot of free loaders out there.

Of the 20% who are committed enough to pay at least one membership fee to an organisation, there are many who bring a consumer attitude to the deal. By that I mean they don’t join an org to support a good cause but rather to gain access to something (a service, a range, insurance, etc). What’s in it for me? This adds to the workload of volunteers and reduces the very scarce resources and human energy available to actually do something about the issues of concern.

Lastly, there would be less than 100 people nationally across all organisations who give a s**t to the point where they will invest personally and give their time to do what needs doing. Not what you feel like doing when the mood takes you and circumstances permit, but making personal sacrifices and finding a way to take on a job that must be done when no one else will.

Please consider before criticising.
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 17 Jan 2016, 6:23 pm

+dhv : :drinks:
I agree, it would be nice if the 80% would at least chip in.
For most of us though, we are mostly time poor.
Finding the spare time to go shooting is hard enough, finding time that fits in with organizations schedules is even harder. :unknown:
I don't condom those that can't/don't chip in time or money.
I applaud those who do give their time to the cause.
I spent a few years as president of a charity group, so I know what its like. :violin:
Do what you can when you can. :friends:
Last edited by anthillinside on 17 Jan 2016, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Jan 2016, 6:28 pm

And always use protection.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 17 Jan 2016, 6:39 pm

juststarting wrote:And always use protection.

Like a 7.62x54R? :D got one yet :?:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Jan 2016, 6:46 pm

I sure have (pics on blog) :) next week will be taking it out to get schooled in how to use iron sights. It's not as easy or as comfy as my optics I suspect, but I am keen to learn. I think I'll start at 50m and move to 100m. Possibly stay on a 100m for a while.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Jan 2016, 5:52 am

juststarting wrote:Yeah, organised organisation... That's what got me asking this questions here, in AU. I took the liberty of fixing the spelling for you too :p

FYI: At least in the USA Organization is acceptable. As is color and tire, or colour and tyre. :)
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Wes » 18 Jan 2016, 2:21 pm

If you guys use both why not just stick with the right one :lol: :P
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Jan 2016, 2:36 pm

Image lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 20 Jan 2016, 1:14 pm

Ha ha
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 20 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm

There has been some really good positive responses to this post, and I firmly believe that if we take whatever time we can spare to do whatever we are capable of doing, it all adds up. Letter writing is something I have always believed to be not just the right, but the imperative of those of us who want to live in true democracy. It needs to be remembered that the various Governments do not have any money of their own; it's only us, the taxpayer who pays their way. Then it follows that we should have a say in the way that money is spent. If we don't like what they are doing we need to tell them. Politicians only respond to whatever will get them re-elected, it is therefore your duty as a member of a free society to write the letters. Harass your local member, and the leaders of the various parties involved. As the number of letters build up they will have no choice but to listen. The letters need to be intelligently written and have no spelling mistakes or abuse. You can of course tell them your vote will go elsewhere if you choose. That always gets their attention.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws