Vic Licence wait times/process

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Vic Licence wait times/process

Post by Zarrs » 23 Nov 2017, 11:23 am

Just in case any one is lurking around and/or applying for their firearms licence in Victoria, this is the time line I've through.

I applied to do my safety course through my local gun shop in Mid August.

I was given a date of the 17th of October to do it at my local shooting club. I've since learnt that if you contact the safety officer you can be placed on a course with in a week.

After completing the course I sent the paper work in the next day, including my PTA.

My licence was approved on the 20th of November, on the 23rd of November I received my data card back in the mail and paid it at westpac. I read some where that if you pay via Bpay you have to wait an extra 3 working days before you can go to Vic Roads to get your photo taken.

I'll update this when it all comes back to me but, my photo licence should arrive with in two weeks and from my understanding my PTA should arrive by the end of next week for my first firearm.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Vic Licence wait times/process

Post by Zarrs » 27 Nov 2017, 8:24 pm

I just found out today that my PTA has been approved so by they post it and I get it, it may be another week :(
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Nov 2017, 8:52 am

It doesn't matter. Its in the system which means you can go to any gun store and purchase the rifle for that PTA. the gun store can see the PTA online. They will however ask you to bring the paper PTA in to them when it comes.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Zarrs » 28 Nov 2017, 10:28 pm

sungazer wrote:It doesn't matter. Its in the system which means you can go to any gun store and purchase the rifle for that PTA. the gun store can see the PTA online. They will however ask you to bring the paper PTA in to them when it comes.

I did not know this! I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm!!!!!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 29 Nov 2017, 11:23 am

I can but I have to wait for my plastic licence to come through, I thought I could go down with my bit of paper saying I've got my licence and paid for it. So now I'm waiting on vic roads to post it out.
The process for getting a licence is a lot longer than the 28 days the vicpol website states, its a little miss leading.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 30 Nov 2017, 12:36 pm

24251144_480866495646636_1883364632_o.jpg
24251144_480866495646636_1883364632_o.jpg (893.8 KiB) Viewed 12817 times

I got my gun licence a week after getting my photo taken, the process was longer than I thought!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Nov 2017, 1:48 pm

Grats! And worth it though, ye?

When are we going to Springvale? :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 30 Nov 2017, 8:16 pm

Every second!!!
Ummm I would have like to have gone this week end but it looks like its going to be washed out. I'm free friday,sat,sun of next week if you are.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 01 Dec 2017, 10:22 am

Will need to confirm with the boss. Friday is definitely out though.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 01 Dec 2017, 3:05 pm

I was even thinking of going to lang lang next saturday morning to sight the rifle in I've heard they are very helpful
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by kb1 » 11 Dec 2017, 8:43 pm

Ive been waiting 9 weeks and 3 days for 222 addition here in west oz.
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Zarrs » 11 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh I just put my 2nd permit and had it approved with in they day! I just got a .308
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 Dec 2017, 9:34 pm

I feel like everyone is buying guns and I'm lagging behind :/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 11 Dec 2017, 9:47 pm

This will be the last one for a while!, I've got the rifle but need to save for the scope now.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Dec 2017, 6:41 am

kb1 wrote:Ive been waiting 9 weeks and 3 days for 222 addition here in west oz.

Thats because WA has the best and fairest firearms laws in the country!! :allegedly: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by kb1 » 15 Dec 2017, 7:38 pm

11 weeks next Sunday in wa . Unreal
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Zarrs » 17 Dec 2017, 8:28 pm

wow thats such a long time! I pick up my 308 on monday I've been a little busy so I have not had a chance to get to the store. The next stage for me is to find some land to shoot some bunnies on!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Dec 2017, 8:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, 30cal is the only true caliber. God himself has at least 10 308s. Now, I know, I know, the church of 12 guage will come out, swinging, chanting slug life, but! 308 is the only way!

However! Don't you think that 308 may be a just a tad too big for the 'ol mr rabbit?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 17 Dec 2017, 9:23 pm

Oh no not for rabbits! thats for deer next year and little river visits but bunnies some time soon with my lithgow .22
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

You've failed the first test. Perhaps the church of 12 guage is, after all, a better option for you. :(
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 17 Dec 2017, 9:43 pm

I prefer to go bunny hunting with my 308.. I use Federal Vital-Shok, 130gn hollow point... about 3000 fps at the muzzle. Suffice to say it skins,guts and cooks the rabbit all at once... The original fast food!
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 17 Dec 2017, 9:44 pm

MMMMMMMMMMMM FAST FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

If i was to buy a shot gun im sure my Mrs will shoot me with it, I got in trouble buying the 308!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 18 Dec 2017, 9:32 pm

Isnt she pretty!
Attachments
25551649_488980504835235_554923865_o.jpg
25551649_488980504835235_554923865_o.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 11412 times
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Dec 2017, 10:20 pm

Zarrs, Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker ?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 18 Dec 2017, 10:36 pm

No i got the A - Bolt 3, the x - bolt did look good but for my first hunting rifle I wanted something cheaper. This was $600, I need to save up for a scope but I havnt done any research yet.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Dec 2017, 10:44 pm

Looked almost the same, now that I pay more attention, I see the magazine stick out a little... Meh, makes you wonder, what all this 'model upgrades' really do...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 18 Dec 2017, 10:50 pm

From what i read there really was not a lot between the two! Its really lite it was between this and the tikka lite and that was a few hundered more. Once I get a scope ill have to hit you up on some reloading advice!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Dec 2017, 10:59 pm

Ye, no worries, re: reloading. My hunting 308 is X-Bolt. I love it. Recoil pad on that thing is the best one I've ever been abused by. And like you said, very lite, it makes it worth it, after you climb a little with it, every cent.

The only practical difference between Tikka and Browning, this models anyway, is the bolt. Tikka is a little more 'rattly' so to speak, but very smooth, VERY smooth. Browning is tight, in a good way, but needs a bit more force. Going from tikka to browning I had to get used to pulling the bolt a bit further back. After the case ejects, you need to move it back a bit more to pick up the next one (at least in x-bolt). If you pull it back far enough to eject, it's not far enough to pick up the next round. Once you start shooting it, you will see what I mean. Just muscle memory. Very nice pewpew :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 19 Dec 2017, 6:59 am

Zarrs wrote:Isnt she pretty!

Very nice!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Geeetrain » 15 Jan 2018, 2:07 pm

Hi
I thought l would post my licencing times
I held a licence 15 years ago but let it expire darn it ...so much paperwork now compared to just going to the police station and getting a lic over the counter.

Ok here is my experience so far l stuffed up the process a little so maybe that is why the delay

Nov 17th 2007 posted application minus firearms safety course cert which was booked for 13 Dec (l was lucky to get into a course as my areas course were all booked solid till 14th Feb 2018)

I also posted my PTA my first firearm on the 13th Dec 2017 in a seperate envelope

Dec 13th pasted my safety course

Dec 14th emailed Licensing a scanned copy of my safety course certificate and asked if l needed to resubmit my application as it was incomplete

Dec 17 got reply email saying no we recieved your application on 22nd Nov and no need to resubmit

Jan 6th 2018 got letter dated 28th Dec requesting a copy of my firearms safety certificate And my ID needed to be certified by person who identified me in Part 7 not the police officer l used (opps my bad)

Send requested info back 9th Jan via express post so l have a record of delivery

Hoping l will get a reply soon .... seems to take longer ....so hoping its only because of the xmas new year break
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws