Do you think gun laws will get better or worse in the future

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Do you think gun laws will get better or worse in the future

Post by paps » 03 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

What do you guys think the future of guns laws in Australia will be?

I'm reasonably new to shooting and didn't realise how many of us there really were until I got into it.

Looking at little signs like the greens taking a bashing in the recent election gone by, the opening of hunting in NSW national parks and things like that, it seems like things are swinging around to shooters favour a little these days. Even if it's incredibly slowly...

It might takes years, but do you think gun laws will get better or worse in the future for us LAFO?
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Do you think gun laws will get better or worse in the fu

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm

I hope your right, but I can only see it getting worse, There are still guite a few wosers sitting in parlment, but if I could have one change I would want semi auto's back for genneral hunting ( not just pro's and primary producers ) and noise supressors made legal again..... oh yeah, hunting in sa parks would be nice.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm

Surpressors would be nice for varmant trips.

Hope it doesn't get worse, I'm only just starting!!

Hopefully we are not limited to nurf rifles by 2015!!!
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Jan 2014, 7:42 pm

At least we can get semi auto in nurf...
http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_AU/shop/d ... 4BAD:en_AU
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Muddy1967 » 03 Jan 2014, 11:45 pm

petemacsydney wrote:At least we can get semi auto in nurf...

Don't speak too loudly or the fun police will ban them too
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by eeckle » 04 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

Muddy1967 wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:At least we can get semi auto in nurf...

Don't speak too loudly or the fun police will ban them too

I know of at least one guy who's a cop on the forum here.

We're onto him! They're just gaining our confidence so they can bust us when we reveal our intend to go full auto on someone with a nerf toy :lol:
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jan 2014, 5:12 pm

Hopefully a few more elections will flush out the greens completely and things will start stepping forward.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JC102 » 04 Jan 2014, 7:08 pm

Open carry and fully automatics by mid-2015 I reckon.......Maybe not. :lol:
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Monty » 04 Jan 2014, 8:30 pm

JC102 wrote:Open carry and fully automatics by mid-2015 I reckon.......Maybe not. :lol:

That might be pushing it.

It does seem that a few more rational voices have emerged of late though.

I forget her name now, I think she's a newish polish commissioner for Tassie from memory? Can't remember at the moment... The point anyway was that she's proposing changes to continue to punishing criminals but has made a point of saying things shouldn't effect LAFO, and has made others for removing some of the pointless red tape and contradictory legislation surrounding legal firearm ownership.

It makes a refreshing change from the usual media tag line of "tougher gun laws!" which just make LAFO jump through more hoops while doing absolutely nothing to target criminals.

Baby steps, baby steps...
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 04 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm

Monty wrote:
JC102 wrote:Open carry and fully automatics by mid-2015 I reckon.......Maybe not. :lol:

That might be pushing it.

It does seem that a few more rational voices have emerged of late though.

I forget her name now, I think she's a newish polish commissioner for Tassie from memory? Can't remember at the moment... The point anyway was that she's proposing changes to continue to punishing criminals but has made a point of saying things shouldn't effect LAFO, and has made others for removing some of the pointless red tape and contradictory legislation surrounding legal firearm ownership.

It makes a refreshing change from the usual media tag line of "tougher gun laws!" which just make LAFO jump through more hoops while doing absolutely nothing to target criminals.

Baby steps, baby steps...

I'm not a supporter of open carry. Pepper spray and maybe tasers, yes, carrying guns? No.

Same goes for fully-autos. Semi-automatic for the LAFO's, yep, but I don't think anyone needs something that can pump out 100 bullets in a few seconds.

Hopefully some of the stigma that clouds LAFO's will start to disappear. As you said, baby steps.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by schink » 05 Jan 2014, 8:47 am

JC102 wrote:I'm not a supporter of open carry. Pepper spray and maybe tasers, yes, carrying guns? No.

Same goes for fully-autos. Semi-automatic for the LAFO's, yep, but I don't think anyone needs something that can pump out 100 bullets in a few seconds.

I'm pretty on board with that.

I really can't see what the fuss about having a semi-auto 22 is :oops:
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 05 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

I like peoples optimism but I don't know...

Even the yanks who have gun 'rights' not 'privileges' like we have in Oz are slowing crumbling.

More than a few states over there which are similar to us with laws regarding forbidden ownership of various firearms, no concealed carry etc.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 05 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm

schink wrote:
JC102 wrote:I'm not a supporter of open carry. Pepper spray and maybe tasers, yes, carrying guns? No.

I'm pretty on board with that.

I really can't see what the fuss about having a semi-auto 22 is :oops:

Exactly. You could kill with any firearm, but you don't see LAFO's going on shooting sprees.

I like peoples optimism but I don't know...

Even the yanks who have gun 'rights' not 'privileges' like we have in Oz are slowing crumbling.

More than a few states over there which are similar to us with laws regarding forbidden ownership of various firearms, no concealed carry etc.

I think New York has stricter laws than we do. Although, I assume they can buy handguns without the year wait.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Monty » 05 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm

JC102 wrote:I think New York has stricter laws than we do. Although, I assume they can buy handguns without the year wait.

Eduardo is our resident US expert, hopefully he chimes in.

AFAIK New York, LA, and a few other of the states with major cities all have the stricter laws which prevent the kinds of gun ownership I think are typically associated with the US.

No concealed carry, strict pistol permits and application process which still take months, no auto, restricted semi-auto conditions and so on depending on the state...

Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with any of those things, but the concept of gun "rights" has definitely gone from parts of the US.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 05 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm

Monty wrote:
JC102 wrote:I think New York has stricter laws than we do. Although, I assume they can buy handguns without the year wait.

AFAIK New York, LA, and a few other of the states with major cities all have the stricter laws which prevent the kinds of gun ownership I think are typically associated with the US.

No concealed carry, strict pistol permits and application process which still take months, no auto, restricted semi-auto conditions and so on depending on the state...

Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with any of those things, but the concept of gun "rights" has definitely gone from parts of the US.

I have a friend in California who says that civilians are restricted to 10 rounds (law enforcement can privately own 30 round mags), restrictions on what they can buy, storage restrictions and so on.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tonit » 06 Jan 2014, 9:08 am

I think it's more the southern states that still have the traditional US gun freedoms.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by gherx » 06 Jan 2014, 10:30 am

They could certainly do to lighten up pistol shooting laws for the range IMO.

I'd love to do pistol shooting, but it's far too much effort to get and keep up all the requirements for it :(
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by paps » 08 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

gherx wrote:They could certainly do to lighten up pistol shooting laws for the range IMO.

I was speaking to the guy at my range about taking up pistol shooting, appently in VIC (not sure about other states) there is even a limit if you're shooting supervised without a license.

Without a license you can only do 10 shoots apparently, then you must get your own license. You can't shoot any more under club supervision or whatever else :(
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Berper » 08 Jan 2014, 1:06 pm

Things are going to get better *la la la la la * I'm not listening!

:lol:
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Eduardo » 29 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

Sorry, just saw this.
Some parts of NYS are not that bad. They will issue concealed carry. However, the closer you get to NYC, the harder it gets. it's nearly impossible within NYC unless you are highly connected. I do not have a concealed carry permit, I was rejected by a judge even though I have no criminal record and am prior military. This means that the only time my gun can be with me is on my way to hunt, or on my way to the range. The gun has to be in a locked container separate from the ammo and not easily accessible to me in my vehicle.

The current rule with a semi auto rifle that accepts a detachable magazine is it cannot have any features of what they call an "assault rifle".
Pistol grip
Threaded barrel
Bayonet lug
Collapsible stock
For-end grip
etc.

This rule started this year. With the old rule, we were allowed two of the items listed. If you own anything that fits that criteria, you have to register it, which means it dies with you, You cannot transfer it to anyone within NYS upon your death, not even your children (confiscation through attrition).

So, this means I could go out tomorrow and buy a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch and be legal. I cannot however buy anything with the features listed above, not even a Ruger 10/22 with a flash suppressor.

The rule with handguns is you do have to go through a lengthy permit process, anywhere from 8-14 months (I've heard worse). Once you have a permit, you have to go through an "amendment" process every time you want to buy a handgun. This process can take 1-2 months.

We also now have to go through a background check for each individual purchase of ammo (yes, you read that correctly).
We also can have a magazine of up to 10 rounds, but cannot load more than 7 rounds in it (yes, you're still reading this correctly).

There's other bits in the new law, but you have the highlights. You should see the new wishlist of the gun grabbers. I'll post it up soon.

Monty wrote:

A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 29 Jan 2014, 1:06 pm

Eduardo wrote:Bayonet lug

LOL. What?

1,000 yard range semi-auto rifle - no worries at all.

Put a knife with 1 ft range on the end of it - DANGER, DANGER!!! ASSAULT RIFLE!!!

*sarcastic clap* to whoever pushed that legislation through.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 29 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

Manimal wrote: Even the yanks who have gun 'rights' not 'privileges' like we have in Oz are slowing crumbling.

You are so right. I hate to say it but I can see a time in my lifetime in which we lose our rights and they are reduced to privileges. It's happening at a progressively faster rate over time. They are targeting the decimation of gun rights on various fronts but none more dangerous to our rights than our youths. Even states that were solid on the side of gun rights have crumbled. One would have thought that states like Colorado and Virginia would never see a time when gun rights were infringed upon. That is happening in earnest now. Even the mighty state of Texas has a growing anti-gun movement.

Another problem is that the media is on the side of gun control by a very wide margin. Every misuse of a gun is splashed across the TV screen nightly, while valid uses of guns are ignored.

This image is out of my daughters history book. It deliberately mis-quotes the second amendment, stating that the right to bear arms is dependent on service in a militia. This despite a supreme court decision as recent as 2005 that re-affirmed the individual right to bear arms. My daughter tells me they even tested her on this

Last edited by Eduardo on 29 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Eduardo » 29 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm

Yeah, I nearly face-palmed my head clean off when I learned about that little gem. Evidently a bayonet lug is more dangerous than a Barrett Model 99 (which is still legal for now, they are working on it though).

Lorgar wrote:
Eduardo wrote:Bayonet lug

LOL. What?

1,000 yard range semi-auto rifle - no worries at all.

Put a knife with 1 ft range on the end of it - DANGER, DANGER!!! ASSAULT RIFLE!!!

*sarcastic clap* to whoever pushed that legislation through.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Will » 29 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

Eduardo wrote:Even the mighty state of Texas has a growing anti-gun movement.

When Texas folds you know you're in trouble...
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by paps » 29 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time Eduardo.

Not a good state of affairs for gun rights when the US is in trouble :(
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JC102 » 29 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

I'll piggyback of this quickly.

Is gun ownership decreasing or increasing in Australia? Do you guys notice more people applying for licenses, showing up the range etc.?
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Norton » 30 Jan 2014, 10:50 am

I'd say growing in my observations. More people taking it up recreationally I think.

I expect though that this is just by way of population increase. More people total, more gun owners total, but the same percentage anyway.

More people means more anti's too though, so not sure if that's progress...

Based on my completely unscientific, casual observations anyway...
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by gazza » 30 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm

JC102 wrote:I'll piggyback of this quickly.

Is gun ownership decreasing or increasing in Australia? Do you guys notice more people applying for licenses, showing up the range etc.?

Gun ownership is now back up to pre Martyn Bryant days. Or so I read somewhere.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Eduardo » 31 Jan 2014, 12:57 am

Could someone elaborate on this?
What was banned after the Port Arthur incident? Where there confiscations? If so, was there compensation? If compensation was given, was it fair?
What has changed since? Have rights restored?

From what little I've read, Australia didn't really have a gun violence issue to begin with. Port Authur was something of an isolated incident. I've also read that the fact that there has not been a mass shooting since PA, it is being used to demonstrate that the measures taken afterward were effective. Is this the case? Sounds to me that you didn't have a huge problem that needed fixing in the first place? Crazy people do exist, and tragedies happen but was there a real cause\effect relationship between laws enacted after PA and the current gun violence levels?

gazza wrote:
JC102 wrote:I'll piggyback of this quickly. Is gun ownership decreasing or increasing in Australia? Do you guys notice more people applying for licenses, showing up the range etc.?

Gun ownership is now back up to pre Martyn Bryant days. Or so I read somewhere.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by gazza » 31 Jan 2014, 4:44 am

The prime minister of the day, John Howard, hated guns very strongly and jumped on the situation to do all he could. Australia never had a gun problem, but hand gun violence is on the rise. Mostly amongst middle eastern men in Sydney and bikies. Generally, assault rifles, semi autos, pump action shotguns and hand guns were banned or placed under tighter control. There was a buy back scheme.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws