WTF Are you a gun trafficker? Perhaps.

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

WTF Are you a gun trafficker? Perhaps.

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm

Well, seems you can't borrow or transport someone else's rifle in Tassie.

:unknown: :thumbsdown:

https://sportingshooter.com.au/gun-law/ ... urt-rules/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: WTF Are you a gun trafficker? Perhaps.

Post by deye243 » 06 Mar 2024, 1:00 pm

They only way we will ever see anything that resembles common sense in gun laws is if they apply the same f***ed up laws to cars .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2024, 1:52 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, seems you can't borrow or transport someone else's rifle in Tassie.

:unknown: :thumbsdown:

https://sportingshooter.com.au/gun-law/ ... urt-rules/

Madness, but in WA, you can't borrow a firearm there and has always been the case. You can use somebody's firearm under their supervision but you can't borrow it to walk a creek looking for rabbits or foxes, or take it to a club to test it or shoot a competition. To use somebody else's firearm in WA you need to be co-licenced to it, which means all the normal requirements as well, club membership or property letters for example.

In South Australia it's an offence to have access to somebody else's firearms, even though you can borrow them. If you own firearms, and your spouse owns firearms, you can't legally keep them in the same safe as you both then have access to the other's firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm

In NSW I can have throwing knives that can go right through you, or a throwing axe that can part your hair right down to your chin, but a simple shuriken, that might give you a small puncture, attracts penalties of up to 14yrs.

Firearms and knife laws here are simply a result of relevance deprived politicians trying to justify their place at the golden trough.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by alexjones » 06 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm

Such madness. Queensland you can borrow someone's gun for up to 3 months. So long as you are licensed for that category and have secure storage. You can just give it to them as the onus is on you to make sure they are licensed and have storage.

I had 2 weeks notice before my last gun safe inspection and my mate had one of my 22 rimfires. So I made him drive the 6 hours to drop it off to me. I told him that if he didn't drop it off he could expect an inspection pronto haha. Sure enough That 22 was the top of the cops list.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 06 Mar 2024, 2:11 pm

Lazarus wrote:In NSW I can have throwing knives that can go right through you, or a throwing axe that can part your hair right down to your chin, but a simple shuriken, that might give you a small puncture, attracts penalties of up to 14yrs.

Firearms and knife laws here are simply a result of relevance deprived politicians trying to justify their place at the golden trough.

Can't even have a collapsible stock in NSW. That makes no sense. If the gun is still longer than whatever the legal length is in NSW(its 75cm in QLD I don't know NSW law) what difference does it matter if the length of pull changes so long as it is still over the minimum overall length?
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2024, 2:37 pm

Capacity laws make no sense either. Here in Vic I have .22's that hold 21rds of .22 Short, and I can use 21rd speedloader tubes to load them rapidly, but I can't have detachable mags that hold more than 15rds. Same with centrefires, I have a .357Mag that holds 12rds but can't own detachable mags that hold more than ten rounds.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Mar 2024, 2:56 pm

alexjones wrote:
Lazarus wrote:In NSW I can have throwing knives that can go right through you, or a throwing axe that can part your hair right down to your chin, but a simple shuriken, that might give you a small puncture, attracts penalties of up to 14yrs.

Can't even have a collapsible stock in NSW. That makes no sense. If the gun is still longer than whatever the legal length is in NSW(its 75cm in QLD I don't know NSW law) what difference does it matter if the length of pull changes so long as it is still over the minimum overall length?

The madness goes even further.
The chassis on my .223 has adjustable length of pull.
It took FAR 6 months to decide that it was legal because you need an Allen key to adjust it, if it was a cam lock, or a button lock, that would be catastrophically dangerous to society.
I might whip it out from under my trench coat, rapidly shorten its 4 foot length by an inch and a half and use it like a 7kg pistol.
FFS
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Tasmanian gun laws