Supervising

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Supervising

Post by CorvusTas » 14 Nov 2019, 11:46 am

The short version is - Am I as a licensed person able to supervise an unlicensed friend or family member, either at a range or on private property in Tasmania?

I am originally from Tasmania, but now live in Queensland, prior to moving I never possessed a firearms licence in Tasmania. I now hold a cat A+B licence in Queensland, but visit Tasmania regularly and I am able to use my fathers firearms while in Tasmania. In Queensland legislation it specifically allows a licensed shooter to supervise an unlicensed person at an approved range, so long as they meet the requirements to obtain a licence if they wanted one (no previous criminal history, fit and proper person etc.) and fill in the paperwork at the range. It also allows a licensed person to supervise a minor, either on a range or on private property, as long as the property meets the requirements. It does not actually specify if a licensed person can supervise an unlicensed adult on property, but that is a question for Queensland.

My question is, does Tasmania have any similar legislation either for or against this? I have done some reading on the 1996 Act, but in comparison to other states it is quite vague and I can't find anything specific to the situation.

I would like to know if I am able to supervise a friend who is considering getting a licence, but has not yet had the opportunity to try before he buys so to speak, as this would help him decide if he wants to go through the whole process himself. If I can't that's fine he can always have a go at the range when he's in Queensland next, I'd just like to know the answer and if possible, where it is specified in legislation, so I can cover my self.
CorvusTas
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Supervising

Post by John » 07 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

I personal don’t know the legislation on it but as far as I’m aware I’m pretty sure you can supervise a none licensed shooter as long as you are in direct line of sight. But I’m not 100% on it Something you could try an look up but you’d fall asleep before you finish the first page of legislation
I’d ask a range officer at your local club there generally a great source of information on things like that
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Apr 2020, 4:50 pm

Theoretically - you cannot target shoot on private property in Tassie...you CAN sight in / bullet development and your friend can assist with that - as long as you’ve held your ticket for longer than 12 months and as long as they are older than 18.
Aged 12-18 need minors permit - then same applies but ages 12-13 cannot use on private property, only at range.
https://fas.police.tas.gov.au/obtaining ... s-permits/
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CorvusTas » 08 Apr 2020, 8:12 am

You CAN sight in / bullet development and your friend can assist with that - as long as you’ve held your ticket for longer than 12 months and as long as they are older than 18.

Thanks for the above replies, obviously with the current pandemic situation going on I won't be doing any trips to Tasmania for a little while. However, out of curiousity, is the above stated anywhere in legislation or on a government/police website? I'm not doubting it, but I'd like to have something I can quote or screenshot if need be for both myself and the land owner.
Cheers
CorvusTas
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Apr 2020, 12:13 pm

Do as I have - write to fas. Or - scan / read the state docs
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Tasmanian gun laws