3D printing game replicas?

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

3D printing game replicas?

Post by CommunistPigeon » 05 Nov 2020, 7:42 pm

While mucking about in Source Filmmaker, I recently found the 3D model for Wolfenstein's "Pistole 61," and as an admirer of the luger I love the design of this particular one. Would it be legal to 3D print a replica of it, since it bears very little to no resemblance to any actual firearm, particularly if it was printed in all white or red or something. I have however, looked into such things before, and apparently a cosplayer got arrested for having a replica of a gun from HALO. I'm honestly concerned about whether it would be illegal or not...

This is what the gun looks like:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/siLufop3vOwZk ... Cfxu9vQ=s0
CommunistPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: 3D printing game replicas?

Post by CrackThump » 05 Nov 2020, 7:51 pm

At a guess.. Im gonna say "dont ever get caught with it". Its still easily recogniseable as a firearm, worse still, a firearm with a silencer.
Cover your ass though... show firearms branch that picture and ask them what you asked us. .. it'll be a definite answer either way
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Nov 2020, 9:24 pm

You should be expecting a knock on the door at any minute...even having files on such things is a no no.
Hope they go easy on you.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 06 Nov 2020, 6:18 am

God..it really has gotten bad, hasnt it... I remember the days when there was a copy of "The Anarchists Cookbook" on the crib room table at work.. it was a bloody good laugh :P no one actually took it seriously.. Now you'd be tried as a terrorist if they caught you with it
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 06 Nov 2020, 8:25 am

Qld I'd say replica
NSW that's clearly a full auto rocket launcher with a pistol grip.
Vic well some heavily armed anti terrorism squad would have smashed down your door by the time I posted this so a bit of a moot point really
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Nov 2020, 4:59 pm

And then we may enter the mysterious realm of Western Australia. And an all kinds of special wapol.
Where looks can be deceiving and some things are not what they appear.
Is it a gun?
Is it a banana ?
A mystery that only the courts can decide.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CommunistPigeon » 10 Nov 2020, 6:35 am

TassieTiger wrote:You should be expecting a knock on the door at any minute...even having files on such things is a no no.
Hope they go easy on you.

In that case owning any game should be illegal since you could rip the models... OH GOD GOVERNMENT PLEASE DON'T! I WAS JOKING!
CommunistPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by CommunistPigeon » 10 Nov 2020, 6:38 am

Also, I haven't actually 3D printed it yet, in case anyone thinks I have. Judging by the replies I probably won't though ...
CommunistPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 5:17 pm

CrackThump wrote:God..it really has gotten bad, hasnt it... I remember the days when there was a copy of "The Anarchists Cookbook" on the crib room table at work.. it was a bloody good laugh :P no one actually took it seriously.. Now you'd be tried as a terrorist if they caught you with it

Really?... oh... okay, I don't have one... :lol: and I'm most certainly not looking to get "The Poor Man's James Bond" Vol 1 & 2.... Don't be silly, why would you think such a thing?
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 5:31 pm

CommunistPigeon wrote:Also, I haven't actually 3D printed it yet, in case anyone thinks I have. Judging by the replies I probably won't though ...

Let me be very clear, I don't trust you Communist Pigeon. You want to know why? I'll tell you why!

"All of the birds died in 1986 due to Reagan killing them, and replacing them with spies that are now watching us. The birds work for the Bourgeoisie."

Now, a humorous piece of satire it is... But perhaps you thought you could pull the feathers over the eyes of these "dumb redneck white-supremacist Nazi gun-lovers" and use a name so obviously connected to this copypasta. But I assure you, we are not dumb. In fact, I'm calling it..
Attachments
images (8).jpeg
IMPOSTER! WE HAVE A SPY!
images (8).jpeg (26.77 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
Member-Deleted

Post by CrackThump » 20 Nov 2020, 5:54 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
CommunistPigeon wrote:Also, I haven't actually 3D printed it yet, in case anyone thinks I have. Judging by the replies I probably won't though ...

Let me be very clear, I don't trust you Communist Pigeon. You want to know why? I'll tell you why!

"All of the birds died in 1986 due to Reagan killing them, and replacing them with spies that are now watching us. The birds work for the Bourgeoisie."

Now, a humorous piece of satire it is... But perhaps you thought you could pull the feathers over the eyes of these "dumb redneck white-supremacist Nazi gun-lovers" and use a name so obviously connected to this copypasta. But I assure you, we are not dumb. In fact, I'm calling it..

Well hawt damn... now we gots ourselves a mexican standoff... 'cos WhootDangCrap me ole son.... I dont trust YOU.. and Im calling YOU out..

So, where do we go from here.?
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 6:41 pm

CrackThump wrote:Well hawt damn... now we gots ourselves a mexican standoff... 'cos WhootDangCrap me ole son.... I dont trust YOU.. and Im calling YOU out..

So, where do we go from here.?

Fancy a burrito?

EDIT: OH!! OH!!! HOW ABOUT A.... CORONA? BADOOMCH!
Member-Deleted

Post by CrackThump » 20 Nov 2020, 6:47 pm

Man.. thats just to soon... people have died from that sh*t.. show some respect. Sheesh
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 20 Nov 2020, 6:48 pm

I mean died from drinking crap beer.. not from that kung-flu ..

DOUBLE BADOOMCH biaaaatch
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 20 Nov 2020, 6:52 pm

It kinda depends what state you're in, in Queensland we have or at least had a section that specifies a firearm as having to be able to shoot a lethal shot, police have been actively trying to change that because gel blasters are technically legal no matter what they look like.

In other states they don't have that specification on what classes a gun to be a gun, so police could probably arrest a kid for playing cowboys and Indians with a stick.

Short answer is police definitely won't like it but depending on the definition of a gun in your specific state you might get away with it.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 7:04 pm

CrackThump wrote:I mean died from drinking crap beer.. not from that kung-flu ..

DOUBLE BADOOMCH biaaaatch

That's the dirty Mexican water, pro tip, never drink a Mexican beverage without a slice of lemon or lime. It helps sterilise any nasties. You're welcome.

You lemon lime though right?
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 10:34 pm

Member-Deleted

Return to Tasmanian gun laws