Plinking (also bunnies)

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Plinking (also bunnies)

Post by Marty » 14 Oct 2021, 8:15 am

G' Day all.
Great forum here.

Been getting back into shooting after a considerable break.
I live in Claremont, Hobart and have been shooting Clays at Pontville, also rimfire at Glenorchy (I am an SSAA member). Also the occasional show up at Blue Hills for a Open Range day.
I work shift work so I have plenty of time off during the week.
Recently I have been going to Tahune on Sustainable Timber Tas property and doing some plinking with the .22. I have made up some gongs and shoot some tin cans. Great little spot. Nice and safe where I shoot. An old quarry.
Great to be able head down there during the week if I feel like it.
Recently I have seen some chatter that suggests that this may not be legal. That plinking may be considered target shooting and as such, I need to be on a range.
Is this the case?

Also, does anyone know of a spot to shoot some bunnies. Hopefully a bit closer than Tauhune. I have not seen any sign of then down there.

Thanks.

Cheers, Martin.
Marty
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Plinking (also bunnies)

Post by boingk » 15 Oct 2021, 12:07 am

Hey mate if you have permission to be doing that on the property, or own it, then its legal.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Marty » 15 Oct 2021, 11:37 am

boingk wrote:Hey mate if you have permission to be doing that on the property, or own it, then its legal.

- boingk

Thanks mate
Marty
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2021, 1:34 pm

It will take you a while but your answer will be hidden in here somewhere no offence to others but do not take areas to legally shoot on just word-of-mouth many have lost the licence over that kind of thing

https://www.legislation.tas.gov.au/view ... t-1996-023
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Marty » 16 Oct 2021, 9:47 am

Thanks mate.
Couldn't find anything in the legislation.
Just about needed a translater for that :)

Cheers, Martin.
Marty
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2021, 11:37 am

boingk wrote:Hey mate if you have permission to be doing that on the property, or own it, then its legal.

- boingk

I'd want to see Tasmanian legislation supporting that.
Permission doesn't make anything legal, laws do that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 27 May 2022, 9:57 am

Okay so I'm abit late to the party
But I asked this question to firearms services a while back because I was curious

The way they explained it was that inside all the other parameters (atleast 250m away from the nearest dwelling etc), practice shooting on your own property or a property you have permission to be on is perfectly legal.
She advised you can even go as far as to set up a target and "practice" shoot at said target, where it becomes illegal is when there is a permanent range set up.

So as long as you don't have a permanent fixture set up, then it's perfectly legal to pop off as many rounds as you see fit (pretty close to her conclusion)
But she also suggested to let the local police station know so they don't need to pay you a visit when they get complaints of hundreds of gun shots :lol:

Hope that helps
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2022, 12:47 pm

S O K A R wrote:Okay so I'm abit late to the party
But I asked this question to firearms services a while back because I was curious

The way they explained it was that inside all the other parameters (at least 250m away from the nearest dwelling etc), practice shooting on your own property or a property you have permission to be on is perfectly legal.
She advised you can even go as far as to set up a target and "practice" shoot at said target, where it becomes illegal is when there is a permanent range set up.

So as long as you don't have a permanent fixture set up, then it's perfectly legal to pop off as many rounds as you see fit (pretty close to her conclusion)
But she also suggested to let the local police station know so they don't need to pay you a visit when they get complaints of hundreds of gun shots :lol:

Hope that helps

Essentially, that's the same as here in Victoria, we're allowed to practice our shooting on private property.

I wish our plantation mobs were more amenable to letting shooters use the properties. There's a big plantation near me that has an airstrip that they used to use for seeding and spraying and such. About 400m, now unused, but people go in there without permission and shoot. If they'd give me permission I'd be in there too.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Tasmanian gun laws