Cat H Requirements

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Cat H Requirements

Post by Toolnup » 19 Feb 2022, 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the mandatory number of shoots is a requirement to maintain your Cat H licence if you do not own any pistols?

I am moving from QLD where it wasn't a requirement and am wondering if it is the same. I have sold my pistol and while I'm not sure if I want to get back into it I am still considering at least applying for a Cat H licence when I apply for my Cat A&B.

Cheers.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Cat H Requirements

Post by Bugman » 20 Feb 2022, 8:01 am

I would go straight to the source, if you already haven't, and asked the relevant department of the Tasmanian Police.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Toolnup » 24 Feb 2022, 10:02 am

Bugman wrote:I would go straight to the source, if you already haven't, and asked the relevant department of the Tasmanian Police.

Yes I have tried that.

They're are usually pretty good answering questions but haven't heard anything back yet.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 24 Feb 2022, 11:19 am

I had a look out of curiosity, the TAS legislation, TAS Firearms Act 1996, section 47(3)(b) states:

"the holder must comply with minimum annual participation rates relating to sport or target shooting as specified in the conditions of the licence and provide evidence to the Commissioner of his or her compliance with those annual participation rates unless exempted from doing so by the Commissioner"

So it looks like you need a TAS license before you can confirm your required participation shoot numbers and this could be why their licensing division are struggling to respond.

They also seem to base the number of required shoots on the number of disciplines that you shoot and not the number of handguns that you posses which seems like really odd way to do it but I've heard rumors that almost everyone in TAS is related so that may explain things.

Here's a link to a TAS shooting club newsletter where they discuss the reduction in required shoot numbers last year for Covid but I couldn't find a clear explanation of the normal requirements.
https://www.huonshooting.org.au/wp/wp-c ... L-2021.pdf
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 24 Feb 2022, 1:57 pm

Toolnup wrote:
Bugman wrote:I would go straight to the source, if you already haven't, and asked the relevant department of the Tasmanian Police.

Yes I have tried that.

They're are usually pretty good answering questions but haven't heard anything back yet.

I share your pain. Don't you just hate when the powers that be treat you like a nuisance.?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Toolnup » 25 Feb 2022, 3:14 pm

Thanks for your research RC.

Kind of sounds like it might be mandatory shoots regardless of whether you own a pistol or not.

Still hoping for a definitive answer from the authorities at some stage.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Toolnup » 03 Mar 2022, 1:36 pm

Finally got an answer.

In Tasmania, you are only required to meet the minimum pistol shoots if you:

Have H1 endorsed on your licence; and
You are the registered owner of a firearm for sport or target shooting

Cheers all
Toolnup