Genuine reason?

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Genuine reason?

Post by S O K A R » 18 Nov 2022, 3:27 pm

So as I understand it, it is perfectly legal to plink/practice shooting (same as you would at the range) on your own property as long as you don't have a permanent fixture set up, aka a range.

So In theory shouldn't you be able to use that as a reason for acquiring a firearm like you would if you was going to be shooting at a range?

Or am I missing something?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Genuine reason?

Post by deye243 » 18 Nov 2022, 4:13 pm

You are dealing with government scrotes so why would you risk a knock back if it was me I would do what everybody else does to get your foot in the door and get a licence then I would shoot wherever I was legally allowed to .
So if you have your own property I would just put down vermin control
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2022, 7:46 pm

S O K A R wrote:So as I understand it, it is perfectly legal to plink/practice shooting (same as you would at the range) on your own property as long as you don't have a permanent fixture set up, aka a range.

So In theory shouldn't you be able to use that as a reason for acquiring a firearm like you would if you was going to be shooting at a range?

Not all states allow recreational shooting, ie shooting just for the enjoyment of shooting, NSW I think is an example. You can zero and develop loads but that's about it. I agree that in those states that allow shooting for shooting's sake it should be a valid reason. But I think all states have specific genuine reasons that are acceptable and that isn't one of them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 19 Nov 2022, 12:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
S O K A R wrote:So as I understand it, it is perfectly legal to plink/practice shooting (same as you would at the range) on your own property as long as you don't have a permanent fixture set up, aka a range.

Not all states allow recreational shooting, ie shooting just for the enjoyment of shooting, NSW I think is an example. You can zero and develop loads but that's about it. I agree that in those states that allow shooting for shooting's sake it should be a valid reason. But I think all states have specific genuine reasons that are acceptable and that isn't one of them.

My listed reasons are vermin control, hunting and recreational and I'm in NSW.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2022, 6:20 pm

Lazarus wrote:My listed reasons are vermin control, hunting and recreational and I'm in NSW.

I thought NSW genuine reason is for "recreational hunting" though?
Screenshot 2022-11-19 190449.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-19 190449.jpg (114.14 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

28A (1) (d) specifically allows "practicing" but only for the purpose of clauses (a), (b), and (c) (being zeroing, tuning, load development).
My understanding was that you couldn't simply practice to improve your shooting skills but perhaps that has been changed?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 19 Nov 2022, 6:31 pm

Perhaps because, living out here and with vermin control as my first reason, there's a difference.

I couldn't say for certain, what with the obtuseness of the legalese.

You may well be right Blade.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Tasmanian gun laws