Obligation to hand in ammo?

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Obligation to hand in ammo?

Post by S O K A R » 15 May 2023, 7:20 pm

Is there any legal obligation to hand in ammo once you sell your only rifle in said caliber?
Or no issues holding on to said ammo until such times as you get another rifle in that caliber or decide to sell it?

Can't remember ever seeing anything on this that said it was prohibited, but just wanted to be sure.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Obligation to hand in ammo?

Post by Oldbloke » 15 May 2023, 7:56 pm

Not aware. However I reckon in WA you would.
Nothing in your states firearms Act about what ammo you are able to have/store/purchase?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2023, 1:49 am

S O K A R wrote:Is there any legal obligation to hand in ammo once you sell your only rifle in said caliber?
Or no issues holding on to said ammo until such times as you get another rifle in that caliber or decide to sell it?

Can't remember ever seeing anything on this that said it was prohibited, but just wanted to be sure.

In most states it is legal to possess ammo for any firearm you are licenced to possess - without having to own such a firearm - if you hold a Cat A/B licence you can possess CatA/B ammo for example. WA specifically prohibits possession of ammunition or bullets that are not for a firearm you specifically own or are co-licenced for. Some states do prohibit possessing handgun-specific ammo without a handgun licence but I don't recall any convictions for such. With chamber adaptors you can use pistol ammo in several different long guns so there are legitimate reasons to own pistol ammo without having a pistol licence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 May 2023, 4:44 pm

G'day SOKAR,
In Tassie you may own ammo for any Category of firearm you are licenced for, so no, you don't need to dispose of it, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 16 May 2023, 7:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
S O K A R wrote:Is there any legal obligation to hand in ammo once you sell your only rifle in said caliber?

In most states it is legal to possess ammo for any firearm you are licenced to possess - without having to own such a firearm - if you hold a Cat A/B licence you can possess CatA/B ammo for example. WA specifically prohibits possession of ammunition or bullets that are not for a firearm you specifically own or are co-licenced for. Some states do prohibit possessing handgun-specific ammo without a handgun licence but I don't recall any convictions for such. With chamber adaptors you can use pistol ammo in several different long guns so there are legitimate reasons to own pistol ammo without having a pistol licence.

I thought that may be the case, yet another reason not to visit WA...

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day SOKAR,
In Tassie you may own ammo for any Category of firearm you are licenced for, so no, you don't need to dispose of it, Cheers.

Good stuff, thanks for that.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lazarus » 17 May 2023, 1:31 pm

Everyone keeps hating on WA, so I thought I'd post a list of the good things:

There we go, some balance.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 May 2023, 1:58 pm

Lazarus wrote:Everyone keeps hating on WA, so I thought I'd post a list of the good things:

:clap: :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 May 2023, 3:14 pm

Lazarus wrote:Everyone keeps hating on WA, so I thought I'd post a list of the good things:

There are some good things :-)
Better weather, incomes, road infrastructure and less smokers spring immediately to mind having moved to Victoria from WA - but I miss nothing at all about the place.
I lived in SA for four years, NT for seven, WA for 37 years, and now in Victoria for nine years. WA is a nice place to live, especially up north, but they absolutely despise anybody that is interested in firearms. I first got licenced in WA aged 13. Around twenty years ago I noticed the WA Police force went down the toilet generally, even GD members. It felt to me like they had imported officers to remove any sense of their being part of the community.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 May 2023, 3:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:

There are some good things :-)
Better weather, incomes, road infrastructure and less smokers spring immediately to mind having moved to Victoria from WA - but I miss nothing at all about the place.
I lived in SA for four years, NT for seven, WA for 37 years, and now in Victoria for nine years. WA is a nice place to live, especially up north, but they absolutely despise anybody that is interested in firearms. I first got licenced in WA aged 13. Around twenty years ago I noticed the WA Police force went down the toilet generally, even GD members. It felt to me like they had imported officers to remove any sense of their being part of the community.

I agree there are some good things, the road East for example.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 17 May 2023, 3:33 pm

I did read about their big push to recruit overseas coppers, got a lot of Poms apparently.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Tasmanian gun laws