Police Minister Rene Hidding publicly backed Tasmania

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Police Minister Rene Hidding publicly backed Tasmania

Post by 1290 » 11 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm

:? :lol:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: POLICE Minister Rene Hidding publicly backed Tasmania

Post by Octane » 11 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

Shotfox wrote:What I mean is - Every new gun that either comes into the country or is sold by a dealer is fired once before it is handed to the new owner. The barrel is photgraphed inside and so is the bullet that came out of the barrel. The markings on both match that particular gun and recorded. You know like CSI stuff.

You happy to pay for all that labour on top of everything you buy? :?
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 11 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm

and you think you aint paying now?
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 12 Jun 2014, 12:29 pm

That's not the point, would you like to pay for more useless labour that will do nothing to curb gun crime, as I said, criminals will not purchase their firearms legally so it achieves as much as registration does.

I think what I'm trying to get across is, when you have thousands of guns coming to the country via smuggling every year eg. when bikie gangs were shipping in Glock pistols in the thousands, there is no point in spending huge amounts of money on something that won't make a difference.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6747465235

Just a quick example, and that's just the ones they know about. Considering how many are slipping through it's not hard to imagine there are probably 100's of shipments with illegal arms.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm

Then what is the point.? Sticking our heads in the sand approach will do nothing to curb gun crime as we need to look at ways, effective ways in dealing with the problem and this is only one idea which over time I think would make some inroads. Yes it may add cost to gun registrations but we are not up in arms when green slip prices hit the roof each and every year with car rego. There will always be nutters and illegal dealings in everything but if the technology is available and we can do this then moving forward with a focus is better than standing still
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Jun 2014, 1:30 pm

Shotfox wrote:
WesleySnipes wrote:
Shotfox wrote:And thats why we should look at ways to better make the system work. I agree the current system sux but lets work on a better one.

And what would you suggest? Because I struggle to see how bringing up Sandyhook and then saying that you agree on how no laws would of affected the insane perpetrator or stopped the event is relevant.

okay back to square one - what I suggest is along with registrations we DNA our guns for all the above reasons (This is only a suggestion). Again - It wont stop nutters but if the techonology is there we should use it and again, along with shooting associations, shooters lets work with the police and registry at a grass roots level to improve our sport and have better communication and outcomes not only for shooters but the community at large.

So you have gone to all lengths to try and justify further controls and then trot this statement out effectively saying it won't stop nutters(and lets face it without exception every perp of mass shootings has been proven mentally deranged).

Honestly, Canada dropped registration as it was proven to be a waste of time.

To drag up the old Port Arthur, we had perfectly adequete laws at the time:
1: he was unlicenced
2: one firearm was last recorded as belonging to the NSW Police and having been destroyed and the other didn't officially exist
3: a gunsmith, somewhere, illegally worked on the main semi auto used as it had been presented to at least one dealer for repair and he had knocked the job back because Martin Bryant couldn't produce a licence (oh how things would be different today if the Police had been notified).
4: A gun dealer sold him ammunition without seeing a licence(although he claims he saw one and was backed up by a mate in the shop at the time- good on ya mate)

Any one of the last three points should have tripped him up and prevented the massacre but it didn't and it doesn't matter how many extra laws you implement these tragic events will still occur.

FFS.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 12 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

Shotfox wrote:Then what is the point.? Sticking our heads in the sand approach will do nothing to curb gun crime as we need to look at ways, effective ways in dealing with the problem and this is only one idea which over time I think would make some inroads. Yes it may add cost to gun registrations but we are not up in arms when green slip prices hit the roof each and every year with car rego. There will always be nutters and illegal dealings in everything but if the technology is available and we can do this then moving forward with a focus is better than standing still

Once again.......................

So by your own admission it may not make any difference at all but you want us to go ahead and do it anyway so a few anti gunners can feel good about themselves at the expense of law abiding firearm owners?

Geez
Last edited by Warrigul on 12 Jun 2014, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 12 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

OK shotfox, you've had your say, now leave it, walk away....I was going to restrain myself but no, its not a good idea, it is juvenile in its conception and utterly ridiculous. ONLY the commie greentard gungrabbers would suggest such an idea, and as an alternative to full confiscation.

No one entity can be trusted with firearm owners person, identifying, 'security' data, including detailed firearm characteristics.....there are at least 90,000 consumer firearms imported each year as well as the existing stock of at least 5, maybe 10 MILLION firearms in the country.

Regain your sanity/turn off CNN, channel 7 etc; crime rates, homicides rate have little to do with firearm ownership rates. period. When you consider crime globally, it comes into perspective;
There is zero correlation between homicide and firearm ownership.

The way it is I'm not really happy with my details, name, address, storage method -report-, firearm number,type, chambering etc being available to not only all Police departments Australia wide but INTERNATIONALLY via Interpol...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 2:15 pm

ok my head is in the sand to
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 12 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

Shotfox wrote:ok my head is in the sand to

It's not a case of putting heads in sand mate, it's that at every turn we are vilified. I for one Am not a firearm criminal. I have never raised a gun in anger at a person and im no more a "Brazzen killer" for owning a gun. PLUS I hate having to fork out dollar after dollar on s**t that has been proven not work all because some wanker duped the media into portraying us all as nutters.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by WesleySnipes » 12 Jun 2014, 6:01 pm

Shotfox wrote:ok my head is in the sand to

As everyone else has said, it's not a case about sticking our heads in the sand.

Warrigul, 1290 and myself specifically pointed out several times how you go to extreme lengths to put more implements in place to curb gun crime, and then admit it will have no effect on gun crime... I don't get it?

So essentially you want MORE red tape and to spend MORE money on something you have already admitted won't work. In my eyes any criminal who picks up a gun with evil intent is a nutter, not just mass murderers.

Again, 1290 has pointed out in several threads, correlation DOES NOT equal causation. Firearm ownerships have nothing to do with firearms homicide, in fact I think homicide is a pretty good indication of the social disparity and unhappiness that a country is suffering, nothing more.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Tasmanian gun laws