Fit and proper

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Fit and proper

Post by south » 25 Oct 2014, 10:50 am

Can anyone tell me, is there a firm outline of what makes you not a "fit and proper" person other than a criminal record?

Sorta seems like whether or not you have a conviction should be enough. One answer I read elsewhere on this was it can be if you have a history irresponsible firearm handling, but if you'd have your license cancelled for doing something illegal etc. that would cover it already anyway.

So they have it just because or... Hmm?

(I'm good BTW, not asking for myself)
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Fit and proper

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Oct 2014, 10:55 am

Mental issues is another popular one. But I Know of people who are in certain clubs now, they werent when they got they there firearms license, but the police have condemned them as unfit to hold a firearms license. Also heard of one guy who complained about a cop who was harassing him, 6 months later that cops police dept said he was no longer fit either, not that he had done anything wrong, except dob in a copper.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bourt » 26 Oct 2014, 2:16 pm

It's deliberately vague so they can deny you a license if they decide you shouldn't have one, even if you don't have any convictions.

Mental issues as Mecca said. If you were seeing a shrink and they thought you were at risk of self harm or had said things about hurting others etc. the shrink could/would report you to the police. No crime(? yet?) or conviction there, but that would be one.

I think having restraining order type things against you rules you out for the time being as well. Even if you're not convicted of anything.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jessie » 26 Oct 2014, 2:16 pm

Being a drug addict or alcoholic is another reason.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by nonvalid » 27 Oct 2014, 3:54 am

how strict is it? i have a conviction from 2007 for ag assault and threats to kill - ag assault because my gf was with me at the time, and threats to kill because i told the meth head swinging at me to "back off, i could kill you".

long story short i plead guilty because the money for lawyers was not at hand, so i got a suspended sentence of 7 months, and have been a stay at home neckbeard ever since.

I like to think they will see one issue as one issue, but would they interpret it as my initiation to join ISIS or some such dramatized rubbish?
nonvalid
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Oct 2014, 4:13 am

Mate what is ok for one person, could be different for another in this case.As Bourt said , it's quite vague. best thing to do is ask. A mate of mine is fully covered in tatt's was a bikie, and has a charge sheet a mile long. But he's older and wiser now. When he went to get his license the coppers demanded that 2 local cops vouch for him or it was a no go. Two locals cops did and now he is the president of a pistol club.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by south » 28 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

MeccaOz wrote:best thing to do is ask.

Nah, I'll leave well enough alone.

Like I said, not for me, I have my license.

I don't want to tempt fate by calling up and saying "So, theoretically, if I had..." :lol:

I think the police may be suspicious, ha ha.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by paps » 28 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

"So, theoretically, if I had..."

Right up there with "I was just holding it for a friend" :lol:
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by south » 21 Nov 2014, 8:41 am

Seriously they weren't my cigarettes!

They were a school friends!

Tried that as a kid, it didn't pass the test :lol:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Rayder44 » 21 Nov 2014, 2:38 pm

I'd say pretty much anything listed on the P650, which is the form NSW uses to authorise unlicenced shooters. So with that in mind, if you:

a) Have been refused or prohibited from holding a firearms licence or permit or had a firearms licence or permit suspended, cancelled or revoked.
b) Are currently subject to a Good Behaviour Bond or Interim Apprehended Violence Order.
c) Are currently or have previously been subject to a Firearms or Weapons Prohibition Order.
d) Are suffering from any mental illness or other disorder that may prevent you from using a firearm safely.
e) Have been convicted within the last 10 years of an offence involving: firearms or weapons; prohibited drugs; robbery; violence or terrorism; or an offence of a sexual nature.
f) Within the last 10 years been the subject of a family law or Domestic Violence Order or an Apprehended Violence Order (other than an order which was revoked).

I'd say that's a pretty good list to start with.
Rayder44
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 24 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

I had heard that being a repeat offender under the motor traffic act could be grounds. But you'd have to be one of those clowns who has had multiple offences and lost your license. The basis being you have no respect for the law and a record to prove it. Drive carefully people.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 25 Nov 2014, 6:25 am

headspace wrote:But you'd have to be one of those clowns who has had multiple offences and lost your license.

Yeah you'd have had to have gone well past normal traffic infringements and be driving unlicensed, drunk, doing harm, something criminal...

Makes it the same as any other criminal offence then anyway, well beyond getting a ticket and the usual.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Tasmanian gun laws