Concerns with shooting on private land

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Concerns with shooting on private land

Post by zobster » 22 Apr 2015, 10:06 am

Recently something caught my eye, there's a sizable parcel of land up for sale, roughly 200ha.

My curiosity stuck me, if I were to build a house there, can I shoot anywhere within the boundaries of the land?

Next question, the neighbor runs show quality Merino lambs on his property next to this property, could the law be breached if a private shooting range was constructed with the right specs? His house is definitely more than 200m away from the intended site of the range.

Another question, If I were to hunt on the land with the right licenses and adhering to the game seasons, could I breach the law in any way?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Concerns with shooting on private land

Post by Gwion » 22 Apr 2015, 10:54 am

Without sounding dismissive; you should download and read your state's Firearms Act and Regulations.

No idea about NT, but a "private range" generally isn't allowed, here in Tas anyway. That's not to say you can't set out a safe area for sighting in your rifle.

As i say, best bet is to study your local laws and regs. If all looks good, then consult the local police to confirm.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 22 Apr 2015, 11:30 am

I guess I'll just email firearms tas to seek further clarification. I've already read the firearms laws and the most useful information is that I can't discharge my firearm within 250m of of a dwelling.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 22 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

I think you will find it also states somewhere that shooting on private land is for the purposes of recreational hunting and "sighting in" your rifle, or something to that effect. Give it another read.

PS: sorry... for some reason i thought you were in Northern Territory :? :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bretty1307 » 22 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm

Yes definitely sus it out with your particular state as the laws vary between each state/territory. I personally would be seeking rules and guidance from the authorities especially when it would be between breaking the law or not. Don't think they take kindly to firearms offences lol.

As for your neighbour I would at the very least speak with him and let him know what you are planning on doing. Just as a courtesy thing.

Good luck man.
bretty1307
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by fawksel » 24 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm

bretty1307 wrote:As for your neighbour I would at the very least speak with him and let him know what you are planning on doing. Just as a courtesy thing.

Last thing you'd want to would be to do all the work to get it setup then have him complain after and potentially lead to undoing it all :(
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bretty1307 » 25 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

Exactly mate. Too much effort to have it thrown away by someone else. Never know he might want to join you :lol:
bretty1307
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 26 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

Not sure what your neighbour or his sheep have to do with it.

If you have the space and meet the requirements for a range go for. If you're doing everything legally it's none of his business.

Put in some enquiries with your registry and see if you can get the ball rolling :)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 30 Apr 2015, 9:37 pm

AusC, I think the right thing to do is run it past a neighbour, it's just common courtesy. My kids used to run all over our neighbours place when they were little and nobody worried. But had there been any shooting it would have been a different matter. My neighbours know a I do a bit of shooting and they usually call me if there's a problem with wild dogs or foxes. It costs nothing to be courteous and can often have a lot of benefits. Of course if he tries to shut you down, the gloves can come off.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 04 May 2015, 2:56 pm

headspace wrote:AusC, I think the right thing to do is run it past a neighbour, it's just common courtesy.

My 'tone' didn't really come across in my reply there.

What I meant to say to zobster was don't let the presence of a neighbour put you off the idea.

Discuss and inform the neighbour, but don't approach it like you're asking permission.

If you know what I mean now.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tactice » 13 May 2015, 11:32 am

headspace wrote:It costs nothing to be courteous and can often have a lot of benefits.

More flies with honey than vinegar ;)
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 13 May 2015, 7:17 pm

AusC no worries mate.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Deco » 14 May 2015, 1:33 pm

tactice wrote:More flies with honey than vinegar ;)

Put honey on someones hot fish and chips and see how long they stay your friend :P :lol:
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Tasmanian gun laws