Importing firearms from overseas

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing firearms from overseas

Post by zobster » 10 May 2015, 3:44 pm

Hi all, please tell me off if I'm stupid or just ignorant. After looking at prices for firearms here in Australia vs USA, I'm convinced that retailers here are just plain greedy and I'm prepared to do my best to avoid excess contribution to their bank accounts.

As such, how about do I go about importing firearms from USA? I understand that I have to get written permission in the form of a B709A form.

Has anyone done this before? How hard is it? Would anyone be so kind to outline the process. I'm looking at importing 1 rimfire and 1 centrefire rifle for personal use.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Importing firearms from overseas

Post by KWhorenet » 10 May 2015, 4:56 pm

To save waiting for someone to copy paste an answer you can type in the search box top left and just search for ' importing '

Plenty of discussions explaining it. Just so you know, retailers don't import generally speaking. They make stuff all on them.
Costs in brief will be: Purchase, Licenced dealer OS to handle it and export licence + + insurance + shipping (expensive !!! ) to Aus customs + profit for their effort + GST on top of all those costs combined !!! + paying our customs potentially + plus getting a dealer or agent to go to the airport and clear it because you don't own it yet and cant + pta + transfer fees into your name + you travelling to get it etc etc

So do they still seem really cheap over there haha not having a go at you but just a reality check.

If it was cheap we all would do it. Not hard but not cost effective for one firearm I think you will find unless it's worth a heap and you score a bargain saving $$$$'s. Import 5 or more normal firearms like an importer would and you may save enough to bother. Get 4 mates to want one each also ?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Baz460 » 10 May 2015, 5:05 pm

G'day Mate. I did it last year, for all the stuffing around, I saved myself about $ 300. Wouldn't do it again, find what you want and shop around.

Cheers, Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 10 May 2015, 7:06 pm

The only reason I'd bother with would be if I wanted something that the local blokes don't import, like a Ruger African in 9.3x64. Or something exotic. But run of the mills stuff I'll just pay up. The retailers are entitled to a profit, otherwise they don't have a business. As to some of the import agents...
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Harts » 11 May 2015, 10:57 am

Not worth the hassle for something you can get off the shelf like the guys said.

Only worth it for something unique or unusual, or something that's not imported here that you just have to have.

Between the US ITAR and our Customs it's a royal pain.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Rocker » 20 May 2015, 9:50 am

zobster wrote:Hi all, please tell me off if I'm stupid or just ignorant.

You're not.... The laws around importing are :problem:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws