How to become a professional shooter in Tasmania

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

How to become a professional shooter in Tasmania

Post by zobster » 16 Jul 2015, 10:40 am

Do any of you guys know how to become a professional shooter in TAS?

I understand you would need to register a ABN and have some form of insurance. But after that, I have no idea what is the next step going to be like.

Could someone in the know please guide me along?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Professional Shooter

Post by KWhorenet » 16 Jul 2015, 11:53 am

To professionally shoot what?

Can you look in the yellow pages to find a pro and go meet them. Some one who has done it might be your best guide. Them and your local authorities.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by tom604 » 16 Jul 2015, 12:34 pm

yellow pages gave me councils (animal control) ,,stupid internet :oops: but it was only a quick search. local or state government may be your best bet if your going for contracts. may not be enough work to make a living out of it if there are a few shooters in your area :problem: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Jul 2015, 2:22 pm

You will need public liability insurance and be covered for workers compo to go with your ABN.

Getting certified for roo culling is another thing to consider as well as a trapping licence,this will help with Cat D.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 16 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

Have appropriate longarm licence?;
Put an add in the paper
Get a paying shooting job
YOU are a professional shooter :thumbsup: :unknown:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Jul 2015, 3:18 pm

1290 wrote:Have appropriate longarm licence?;
Put an add in the paper
Get a paying shooting job
YOU are a professional shooter :thumbsup: :unknown:

Then when you have evidence people are paying you to shoot you can apply for Cat D and prohibited weapon permit for sound moderators.

When you draw up your contracts to shoot have a question asking if a sound moderator is to be used for these jobs, yes answers make it easier for prohibited weapons permit for SM.

In NSW there are courses for vertebrate pest controllers,perhaps doing something like that in Tas will help.
www.firearmtraining.com.au
You have to shoot a 5 shot group of less than 70mm from 80m to pass the shooting test.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Jul 2015, 6:03 pm

Get in touch with the Tas Police Firearms Branch. When ever i call them about something they are more than helpful.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by KWhorenet » 16 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm

Another topic that sounds like...I want a licence so I can have cat C and d and sound moderators because I want them...

Not, I have the opportunity to go into business and there is a genuine need for anything.

More than one topic covering the same thing.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jul 2015, 1:52 am

KWhorenet wrote:Another topic that sounds like...I want a licence so I can have cat C and d and sound moderators because I want them...

Not, I have the opportunity to go into business and there is a genuine need for anything.

Sounds to me that the bloke wants to become a professional shooter.

What this means of course is that your primary income must be earned from shooting not just the occasional weekend away with the lads.

Its a lifestyle thats not for everyone, long 14 + hour days and lots of kilometers if you want to make a living out of it, its a single mans game and you need to be prepared to live on the bones of your @ss and only ever come home to visit once in a while.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by zobster » 17 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

KWhorenet wrote:Another topic that sounds like...I want a licence so I can have cat C and d and sound moderators because I want them...

It's not like that.

Its more like, I enjoy shooting, if I can turn that into a part time gig on the side, it would cover my weekly shooting expenses and allow me some pocket money during the week. When I go spotlighting (almost weekly), I tend to have a shine around paddocks on the way back. The amount of wallabies in some paddocks will amaze you.

Most likely will be culling wallaby (bennett's and roufus), deer would be a super added bonus.

If possible, I would like to start out part time then if the situation is favorable turn it into a full time gig. Call me stupid but I was hopping to turn my hobby into something I can make a living out of and never have to work a single day.

Shooting the 70mm target at 80m should be easy for me. I can group my 22 about 1.5" @ 70m.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by 1290 » 17 Jul 2015, 10:55 am

Nothing wrong with that :unknown:
For a guy or girl to transform their hobby into their occupation, with the added bonus of not only getting paid to shoot and hunt but the opportunity to potentially own and operate say an SLR :drinks: :thumbsup:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 17 Jul 2015, 11:14 am

zobster wrote:Call me stupid

Well, ok, if you insist :lol:

Just kidding :friends:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Jul 2015, 11:45 am

zobster wrote:
Its more like, I enjoy shooting, if I can turn that into a part time gig on the side, it would cover my weekly shooting expenses and allow me some pocket money during the week. When I go spotlighting (almost weekly)

Most likely will be culling wallaby (bennett's and roufus), deer would be a super added bonus.

If possible, I would like to start out part time then if the situation is favorable turn it into a full time gig. Call me stupid but I was hopping to turn my hobby into something I can make a living out of and never have to work a single day.

Shooting the 70mm target at 80m should be easy for me. I can group my 22 about 1.5" @ 70m.

Nothing wrong with trying to get work doing something you enjoy,if Pro shooting is your business then surely equipment can be claimed on tax,did smoking Joe announce tax breaks for small businesses recently up to $20K.
Nothing to lose by having a go,get certified for whatever you can even a trapping licence.

I think people are shifting away from 1080 baiting,we have to counter the powerful USA legal drug lobby who are doing a great job with promoting that stuff over shooting.

The shooting test is with centrefire, the FTSC link says if you shoot better than 50mm at 80m then you are a top gun.
The hoplophobes claim pro shooters are more humane,just about any amateur hunter can qualify for a top gun card.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Jul 2015, 12:34 pm

Out if interest does it say how you should be rested to shoot the test group? Prone, bench, off hand? I tried look on the site linked but I couldn't navigate it well on my phone
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Jul 2015, 1:24 pm

Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 17 Jul 2015, 1:49 pm

I've called firearms, got told to provide ABN and update license purpose.

Besides that what else do I need?

I looked at the FTSC site, it's an accreditation course, but it doesn't say its mandatory to be certified.

besides insurance, what else do I need?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Jul 2015, 5:14 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:http://www.firearmtraining.com.au/html/10aboutkhtest.htm

Cheers Baron :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 20 Jul 2015, 6:17 am

You can shoot silencers at my house by I won't pay you :)

I have a MAX-11 full auto with Viper-9 silencer and the thing is just evil. I used to have a video online but I can't find it.

My MAX-11:

http://max-11.com/

It is very quiet with 158 grain subsonics in full auto. It is scary! You get some gas in the face sometimes though because the receiver isn't sealed.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

That's a sweet setup Title. You'd make some people very nervous over here :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 20 Jul 2015, 9:29 am

I make some people nervous over here! :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by chacka » 20 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

Illegal in about 20 different ways here :x
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 20 Jul 2015, 7:13 pm

Title_II wrote:You can shoot silencers at my house by I won't pay you :)

I have a MAX-11 full auto with Viper-9 silencer and the thing is just evil. I used to have a video online but I can't find it.

My MAX-11:

http://max-11.com/

It is very quiet with 158 grain subsonics in full auto. It is scary! You get some gas in the face sometimes though because the receiver isn't sealed.

Well now your just bloody showing off Tiger :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 20 Jul 2015, 7:32 pm

Of course! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rummer » 27 Jul 2015, 11:02 am

So is there any firearm you can't have in Pennsylvania, Title?

I guess they draw the line when things start to become canons/explosives rather than firearms?

:?:
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 27 Jul 2015, 11:29 am

rummer wrote:So is there any firearm you can't have in Pennsylvania, Title?

I guess they draw the line when things start to become canons/explosives rather than firearms?

:?:

There aren't any guns that are illegal in our Great Commonwealth (see below for funny exceptions). Cannon are fine. Explosives are fine. Tanks with cannon, etc. :)

There actually are a couple of firearms that are technically illegal in Pennsylvania but I don't think anybody has ever been charged with it. It is not intentional, it is due to unexpected conflicts in the laws. One is a "sawed off" black powder shotgun. But a real "sawed off" shotgun (short barreled shotgun, SBR) is legal :) Thee is one other quirk like that I think. But other than that, all guns are legal.

Regarding explosives, they are legal but there are storage requirements if you keep them for more than 24 hours, licensing requirements for high explosives kept for more than 24 hours, and serious federal transportation requirements.

However, Explosive Destructive Devices are illegal in Pennsylvania. This would be hand grenades, mines, explosives turned into weapons. It also includes projectiles containing explosives over 1/4 oz. per projectile. The .50 caliber Raufos MK211 round contains just a hair under 1/4 oz of RDX and is legal in Pennsylvania. There are also a few 20mm High-Explosive rounds which contain 1/4 oz of explosive. Once we get above that, we can't own them in Pennsylvania if they have an explosive filler. However, 1/4 oz is also a federal cuttoff that would require a $200 tax stamp per device (per round/grenade/etc.) anywhere in the US unless you decide to be a licensed dealer or manufacturer. So for the average Pennsylvanian it doesn't mean that much.

Also, keep in mind, unless you want to get a dealer's license or a manufacturer's license (which you certainly can) then all civilian machineguns in the US have receivers registered by 1986. So they are very expensive, around $4,000 for a MAC M-10 and around $12,000 for the cheapest rock-bottom version of a converted M16 (up to $25,000 for factory guns). While this is all extraordinarily expensive, that brings necessity into play. And necessity is the mother of invention :) A 1986 receiver (or even a simple registered sear part) does not an old gun make. You can change anything you want on it within reason. M16s can be turned into belt feds in multiple calibers including .22. Every machinegun has a .22 conversion available for it with giant magazines :) That $4,000 MAC can shoot 9mm, .45 caliber, 7.62x25, .380, .22, 5.56 (although the SABRE is suspended and we are waiting for a newcomer). One machinegun can be a subgun, an assault rifle, a light machinegun, and a beltfed in 10, 20, or 30 calibers.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Yelp » 29 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm

Title_II wrote:There aren't any guns that are illegal in our Great Commonwealth (see below for funny exceptions). Cannon are fine. Explosives are fine. Tanks with cannon, etc. :)

"Jealous" doesn't begin to describe :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 29 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Steal, iron, bronze, and brass aren't a penny a pound like they were in the past. The simple scrap metal value of any serious military equipment is thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars, and the real price is obviously higher.

It is nice to know I could, but that is tempered by the realization that I shoulda back in the day :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by lole » 04 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm

You'd think brass was worth it's weight in gold here :roll:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dogger » 23 Apr 2017, 1:05 am

In WA, theirs a course you pay to go though, though a body called CALM. Commonwealth something Land Management with the WA dept of Agricultural. They teach you to become a Dogger, dogs are a major livestock killer in WA.
I know you asked about Tassie, id ask the state depth of Ag. Goodluck
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Apr 2017, 3:13 am

The OP died of old age last year.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Tasmanian gun laws