Category C in Tassie

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Category C in Tassie

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm

Hey everybody (tasmanians especially)

When talking with dad regarding getting certain types of firearms, me and him would both be interested in using a semi automatic 22lr or a 17hmr for pest control over at my neighbour's places, in which there will be a TON of rabbits and wallabies hopping about, which are gonna cause damage to the land and crop nearby if they aren't controlled. Seeing as by the time one of us works a bolt, we could easily have 4 or 5 bunnies run away to scratch another day :crazy:. So, we're wondering how much trouble does it actually take to putting in an application for Cat C so we can own a semi auto 22 or something for pest control. What process do we need to go through? Will authority make it really difficult for us to obtain one and how much do Ruger 10/22s go for nowadays?

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Last edited by Heckler303 on 11 Oct 2015, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: Category C in Tassie

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm

My understanding is that you need to be a primary producer or work in primary production to get a C Cat licence. Then, if you qualify, you can only use that licence/firearm on specified properties.

I have had the opportunity to apply for Cat C for the last 2 years. It could probably help strike rate MARGINALLY, but the restrictions to use of any registered firearm have dissuaded me from pursuing that course. No point me having a semi auto that i can only use on 2 or three properties and then having to still have a collection of Cat A/B guns as well, for use else where.

I don't think you can get Cat C just because you live next door to a primary producer.

I believe a Cat D will allow you more flexibility of where you can use the registered firearms but then again, the cost of compliance is worth considering as well.

In reality, it takes me longer to let the smoke clear and line up another target than it does for me to cycle a bolt and the same would be true with a semi. Shooting on your own with rifle mounted torch shows up a surprising amount of smoke, even with a 22lr. This wouldn't be such an issue if (and on the time when) i have someone else working a light.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 07 Sep 2015, 11:19 pm

Let me know if you need a hand with them pest. Always up for a good night of culling. Don't mind being the light guy and working my way up.

With Cat C, maybe you could register for a abn and make it into a pest control business to make it a little easier? I'm not sure.

I don't have experience with semi-automatic 22lr. But the steyr aug, sar21 and m16 I've handled before when I was serving was a blast to shoot. It was fitted with a flash suppressor with acts like a muzzle brake/compensator. Target re-engagement was a bit breeze and when you learn to count your shots, you just slip in a new mag at 29 and off you go again. For culling applications, I would suggest a red dot or even open sights for daylight operation. At night, you can't beat a laser!

I'm not quite sure about the smoke though, it never seemed to bother me. But when shooting on sandbags, it kicks up the dust right in front of you after even the first shot. Trick is to wet it down and you'll be fine.

Have fun, and if you need a hand, message me please.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Baronvonrort » 08 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm

Heckler303 wrote: So, we're considering putting in an application for Cat C so we can own a semi auto 22 to for pest control. What process do we need to go through? Will authority make it really difficult for us to obtain one and how much do Ruger 10/22s go for nowadays?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cat C is for primary producers and clay shooters, the Police use the tax dept definition for primary producers, if the tax dept does not classify you as a primary producer then you cannot have it.

Cat D
You will need to change your genuine reason to occupational.
You will need a registered business with all insurances from workers comp to public liability.
You will need to produce your contracts to shoot and prove you earn an income from shooting ferals.

Getting certified for roo culling helps as does a trapping licence.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm

zobster wrote:Let me know if you need a hand with them pest. Always up for a good night of culling. Don't mind being the light guy and working my way up.

With Cat C, maybe you could register for a abn and make it into a pest control business to make it a little easier? I'm not sure.

I don't have experience with semi-automatic 22lr. But the steyr aug, sar21 and m16 I've handled before when I was serving was a blast to shoot. It was fitted with a flash suppressor with acts like a muzzle brake/compensator. Target re-engagement was a bit breeze and when you learn to count your shots, you just slip in a new mag at 29 and off you go again. For culling applications, I would suggest a red dot or even open sights for daylight operation. At night, you can't beat a laser!

I'm not quite sure about the smoke though, it never seemed to bother me. But when shooting on sandbags, it kicks up the dust right in front of you after even the first shot. Trick is to wet it down and you'll be fine.

Have fun, and if you need a hand, message me please.

Maybe one day mate. Maybe one day. Unless me and dad hog all the good spots :lol:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2015, 10:01 am

Further to Baronvonrort's post:

To qualify as Primary Producer with the tax dept, you need a minimum annual turn over of $20k from primary production. You can get a Cat C if you work in primary production and your employer endorses the application, but i believe you can then only shoot under that licence on the property of the employer.

All in all, it's probably easier, cheaper and more practical to practice your "rapid fire" target shooting. From the stance you usually shoot when culling, fire at 3 or more separate targets and get used to cycling the bolt without lowering the rifle. You'll be surprised how quick you can get at it.Or get a lever, pump or straight pull rifle......

popcorn please.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Sep 2015, 10:35 am

Gwion wrote:Further to Baronvonrort's post:

To qualify as Primary Producer with the tax dept, you need a minimum annual turn over of $20k from primary production. You can get a Cat C if you work in primary production and your employer endorses the application, but i believe you can then only shoot under that licence on the property of the employer.

All in all, it's probably easier, cheaper and more practical to practice your "rapid fire" target shooting. From the stance you usually shoot when culling, fire at 3 or more separate targets and get used to cycling the bolt without lowering the rifle. You'll be surprised how quick you can get at it.Or get a lever, pump or straight pull rifle......

popcorn please.

I'd stick with the lever or pump action, but no chance in hell would I want to own a straight pull. God no.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

Heckler303 wrote:

I'd stick with the lever or pump action, but no chance in hell would I want to own a straight pull. God no.

Why is that?

My t-bolt shoots very well and is very quick to cycle since it's had a good bit of shooting to work itself in. I'd be interested to see how it compares to a lever for cycle rate and target acquisition. The pump would be quicker.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

Gwion wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Why is that?

My t-bolt shoots very well and is very quick to cycle since it's had a good bit of shooting to work itself in. I'd be interested to see how it compares to a lever for cycle rate and target acquisition. The pump would be quicker.

From dad's experience and also research regarding the history of straight pulls, they've got piss-weak actions. That's why I'd prefer a pump or lever or just remain with the bolt because of the stronger actions.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 09 Sep 2015, 3:03 pm

As far as Category C Rimfire goes for Rabbit shooting.

Well, for 12-18 mths I had a Semi-Auto 22LR and really in the end I gave up with it and sold it.

My own experience day or night was very seldom did I ever see the advantage, especially accuracy wise destroying rabbits. Fire one shot and the rest take off, trying to hit them on the run as they scurry for shelter is really a kids game and a laugh plus a waste of ammo.

Far better with a couple / few mates and line them up then all fire at once then sit back and wait for them to come out from hiding places.

Much better fun is with my Benchrest Calibres like .22BR and a HIGH Power Scope....above 25x and head shoot rabbits from say 300 metres away. They don't really know what hit them and/or where the noise came from.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Broom » 10 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Cat C is for primary producers and clay shooters, the Police use the tax dept definition for primary producers, if the tax dept does not classify you as a primary producer then you cannot have it.

That was my understanding too, you have to provide info on income gained through primary production, tax records etc.

Just having enough pests to warrant a semi-auto/cat C for pest control isn't actually reason enough for one :problem:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Tasmanian gun laws