New firearms restrictions proposal (TAS)

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: New firearms restrictions proposal (TAS)

Post by Tripod » 03 Apr 2017, 6:22 pm

also no need to remove bolt for transport if it is in a locked gunbox.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 03 Apr 2017, 6:33 pm

Not convinced of that one. Trigger/action lock and bolt in or no trigger/action lock and bolt separate. Must be in closed container.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tripod » 03 Apr 2017, 7:30 pm

I asked the local copper when he came to do an inspection, It made sense since he would probably be the one to pull me over.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 03 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

So container must be locked? Hard case? Fixed to vehicle?

Think I'll still play it safe and keep the bolt with my ammo.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tripod » 03 Apr 2017, 9:06 pm

My gunbox is fixed to the ute and locked when there is a rifle in it.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 03 Apr 2017, 11:13 pm

We always bolt a gun safe in the trailer as we stop at a roadhouse on the way there and back and it means we can all go in and feed our faces at the same time and no one has to wait by the car
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Jandamurra » 05 Apr 2017, 4:25 pm

@ The Greenwold and Gwion
I have no idea why some people want to go around deciding on others' behalf what they do and do not need.
If I was a small business owner on the Gold Coast, I may feel the need to carry a handgun or two. Tough luck for me, of course. Unlike politicians, ordinary members of the public can't decide they need a gun for self-defence and then easily obtain one.
How do we know any gun-toting politicians actually need a gun for self-defence?
I know in my hypothetical example above I said "feel" the need for a gun, which is not the same as objectively having a need. However, the two things could very well coincide and I have a hard time understanding how someone else can decide for someone whether they need a gun or not-on what basis-feelings?
Some feelings are more equal than others.
Is there any hard data about accident reductions resulting from the 1996 laws?
I look at high gun control hell holes like Brazil and South Africa. Their intentional homicide rates are extraordinary and it's only common sense that their gun accident rates would also be through the roof.
Look here-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate .
As for the blaming one gentle, mentally-challenged man for a crime that required planning and inside knowledge, we should al be long past that by now.
One brief problem among many-the false drug stash that turned out to be washing powder (unless it wasn't?).
-First ever in the area
-It happened to be a radio dead spot; how convenient
- If Martin Bryant did this all on his own, to my knowledge there is no placing of this activity in the official timeline. When did he plant the washing powder, when did he find the opportunity that day to make a phone call to Nubeena Police Station? Funny how no-one saw him in a phone booth and there is no mention that he had a mobile phone that day.
-Also funny how no recording of the phone call was ever released. Wouldn't this be quite useful in persuading the public of his guilt?
The issues with 28/4/1996 simply can't be dodged, however much the government wants people to forget about it and deride anyone who asks questions as a conspiracy theorist.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Tasmanian gun laws