Gun safe inspection and "entrapment"

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Gun safe inspection and "entrapment"

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 Feb 2016, 2:12 pm

bentaz wrote:Yeah who knows, I'm expecting one now, I've got 3 pta's pending and have been for a week now. My old shotgun collection is now over 15 and I'm guessing they want to come and make sure I've got my alarm and stuff sorted

And those 20,000 rounds you have lol
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

bentaz wrote:Yeah who knows, I'm expecting one now, I've got 3 pta's pending and have been for a week now. My old shotgun collection is now over 15 and I'm guessing they want to come and make sure I've got my alarm and stuff sorted

Is a alarm mandatory now in your state?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Feb 2016, 3:38 pm

You could always sell back a couple of shottys and avoid the alarm system altogether :sarcasm:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by happyhunter » 23 Feb 2016, 6:11 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Feb 2016, 7:58 pm

bentaz wrote:It is to store more than 15

Which states have that rule ?

Monitored alarms ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 11:05 pm

Not sure what the rule in NSW is but I was told that once you have >15 pistols you need a B2B monitored alarm. Apparently no such requirement for long arms exists that I've been able to find out.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 01 Mar 2016, 1:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:Not sure what the rule in NSW is but I was told that once you have >15 pistols you need a B2B monitored alarm. Apparently no such requirement for long arms exists that I've been able to find out.

I don't know where you're reading that? It has always been monitored alarm required for greater then 15 "firearms" AFAIK.

Same for all/most states I think.

NSW Pol site

Approved Safe Alarm System over 15 Firearms

VIC firearms act

(2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—

and so on for the other states too.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Mar 2016, 1:44 pm

Approved Safe Alarm System over 15 Firearms

Interesting, can you see if you can find that article and post a link please :) The only reference in the Act 1996 section 39/40 or the Regs 2006 mentioning alarm for >15 firearms is related to level 6 storage for security firms. Curious if I missed something cause I've got a few more then 15 :allegedly: I have a much higher level of security then most banks and on the last inspection the officer never once asked about any security measures apart from the safes containing pistols being bolted down.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/133227/FACT_SHEET_Security_Firm_Over_15_April_v._1.6_2012.pdf
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AnotherMisfire » 02 Mar 2016, 8:27 am

Queensland doesn't require alarms but you've got to upgrade your storage to essentially a vault when you crack 30 firearms.

That's for an individual at least.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Varmtr » 06 Mar 2016, 8:11 pm

My local was excellent phoned me to arrange a time and date. Told him the kettle is on and the biscuits on the table he turned up 5 mins latter. The inspection lasted about 5 mins checked serial numbers and alarm system and that was it. Stayed another half an hour chatted turned on lights and sirens for the kids and sat them in the car.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Mar 2016, 9:02 pm

So was it a 'produce your firearms' OR a storage compliance inspection?? Great that the colour and sound show made you feel bettet about the internal inspection . ... :shock: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by adam » 07 Mar 2016, 7:26 am

Varmtr wrote:My local was excellent phoned me to arrange a time and date. Told him the kettle is on and the biscuits on the table he turned up 5 mins latter. The inspection lasted about 5 mins checked serial numbers and alarm system and that was it. Stayed another half an hour chatted turned on lights and sirens for the kids and sat them in the car.

I love hearing stories like this! Thanks for sharing.

I've had some good cop experiences like this too - although no lights and sirens. Many of the cops I talk to have no interest in doing these inspections either - but it's part of their job so they have little choice.

It's easy to forget that the problem is not the police, but the government and their policies (and maybe the higher ranking police). Of course sometimes it is also the inspecting police, where they try and do underhanded inspections such as the topic of this title, but I've found them to be in the minority. Most cops I deal with are pretty decent blokes. The bloke who rocks up to your door is only doing his job - and there are plenty of other people who would be more than happy to do the inspections instead who we definitely wouldn't want doing them.

And at the end of the day - I'd much prefer cops who agree with me on the registry doing the inspections, instead of them "quitting their jobs in protest" and having GCA / Greens / <insert whatever crazy mob you want here> doing the inspections. I'm sure it would be much more unpleasant with no friendly approach, with many legal abiding owners failing for no reason at all just to take their guns away.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 07 Mar 2016, 3:24 pm

I've only had one inspection over the years but my experience was also good.

The guy called to make a time, I think we agreed on a Saturday morning from memory. He arrived when he said he would, looked at a few serials... tick, tick, tick on the form. My safe is over 150kg and is bolted in as well anyway so another tick.

Politely declined a cup of tea, gave the dog a pat and was on his way.

5 minutes.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Mar 2016, 6:11 pm

Lorgar wrote:I've only had one inspection over the years but my experience was also good.

The guy called to make a time, I think we agreed on a Saturday morning from memory. He arrived when he said he would, looked at a few serials... tick, tick, tick on the form. My safe is over 150kg and is bolted in as well anyway so another tick.

Politely declined a cup of tea, gave the dog a pat and was on his way.

5 minutes.

Seemed painless right?
But did the inspection solve a crime?
Prevent a crime? Failing that perhaps the inspection built community good will??? That would be a no...no....and no.

So what was the point and why do we endure this crap?
What.... one of us may have left a stray round in a mag dangerously locked in the safe ? Gee hopefully the law will catch up with that deviant who most thoughtlessly flouted our great firearm laws....
"Keeping us safe one inspection at a time since 1996...."

Whatever...then we have you guys commenting about "how painless and quick" the pointless waste of time inspection was....the same who think the pta in 3 or 5 or 9 days was quick.... gee im happy with that.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 07 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

I see these inspections as a necessary evil for keeping our licenses and it helps to build a little rapport with the local constabulary. My first inspection was around 2 hours with the bulk of that time spent talking about shooting and good places to hunt. The Snr Constable asked to see the rego papers so I handed her a nice neat folder sorted by caliber / manufacturer and we went through everything, I actually enjoyed the experience and got myself a new shooting buddy out of it as a bonus. It's not fair to tar all cops with the same brush, just like shooters there are the good and the bad. I look at it this way, for every idiot they nab breaking the law regarding storage and such it's one less potential headline about guns being stolen or kid shoots sister which makes us all look like idiots.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by adam » 07 Mar 2016, 9:28 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Seemed painless right?
Prevent a crime? Failing that perhaps the inspection built community good will??? That would be a no...no....and no.

Genesis - I think most people here would agree with you, including the police members who do the actual inspections. Yes - they're a waste of time. Yes - they take away from police resources for real crime. Yes - they serve little purpose, and in many instances yes - they have created more harm than good (by criminals getting information about who has firearms, etc)...

We endure it because it's currently the law. Unlike PETA, the greens, anti-duck protesters and the likes, we are law abiding citizens. (We have to be in order to own firearms). Giving the local cop a hard time about it would not serve our interest...

What are you proposing? If you have another option that's available to us, I'm all ears. But whilst we currently have to endure this - I choose to get along well with the police who also have to endure this. Why make the situation more painful for both us and police members?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 07 Mar 2016, 10:26 pm

Speaking off, when do people get inspections?

I haven't had any contact about that yet... Basing my opinion on responses here and in other threads, seems like some people do and some people don't for decades...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 5:50 am

Speaking off, when do people get inspections?

Change of address or buying a lot of guns will get you flagged. I've only had inspections after changin of address. Sometimes they will call to say they are coming, sometimes they don't.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 08 Mar 2016, 7:32 am

Both of mine were at my request as I needed the event number of the inspection as it's a requirement for a dealers license application.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 Mar 2016, 7:43 am

The more I read here the angrier I get.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by adam » 08 Mar 2016, 7:49 am

Title_II wrote:The more I read here the angrier I get.

Spread the word mate - your government things we're a prime example of the way a country should run gun control and American's need to be aware of it!

Even Canada as I understand it had a registry and then closed it down. I'm not sure who's the more foolish. Our government who's implemented all this and thinks that it's doing a great job - or your government for wanting to implement the same...
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Mar 2016, 8:43 am

You should be.

Australia is the testing ground for the USA.

Soros & friends funded those involved in our gun control group/s before 96..... I wouldn't suggest there is anything related... But there was once a guy named Bryant who lived in New Town....... "He was responsible for murdering 35 people, including children", "He used an assault rifle" within hours a media frenzy was whipped up and literally in days are police ministers had decided to ban (semi-auto) 'assault' rifles from general possession "To prevent another massacre".... in response to 'the obvious wishes' of a horrified nation..... who were pleaded to be disarmed. :evil:

Firearm owner are practically reminded on a monthly/weekly basis, that we are so fortunate to be bestowed the privilege(!!) of owning firearms (only for sport or hunting of course) after the horrible occurrence perpetrated in Tasmania..... and how precarious that privilege is - it can be taken away in a blink.

Maybe you're familiar with Soros and his clique of elite 'disarmers', Look at how Bloomberg is trying to screw you over, his BFF Murdoch, his papers whipped up the nation back in 96 after his reporters broke into Bryants home in New Town and planted evidence....and stole material including the famous photo plastered across the papers the next day of Martin.
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 08 Mar 2016, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusC » 08 Mar 2016, 8:49 am

juststarting wrote:Speaking off, when do people get inspections?

I haven't had any contact about that yet... Basing my opinion on responses here and in other threads, seems like some people do and some people don't for decades...

It's effectively random, as you've observed. You could get the call in a month, or year or 10.

No way to know, just keep things above board so you're ready (as I'm sure you're doing :thumbsup:)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 08 Mar 2016, 9:07 am

What.... one of us may have left a stray round in a mag dangerously locked in the safe ? Gee hopefully the law will catch up with that deviant who most thoughtlessly flouted our great firearm laws....

Well... My point was that people who are stressing over getting an inspection shouldn't, that they're not a big deal.

As for you... :unknown:

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Whatever...then we have you guys commenting about "how painless and quick" the pointless waste of time inspection was....the same who think the pta in 3 or 5 or 9 days was quick.... gee im happy with that.....

"Whatever" ? Are we having an argument I don't know about and that's you throwing your arms up in exacerbation? :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 9:17 am

Lorgar wrote:

Well... My point was that people who are stressing over getting an inspection shouldn't, that they're not a big deal.

As for you... :unknown:

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Whatever...then we have you guys commenting about "how painless and quick" the pointless waste of time inspection was....the same who think the pta in 3 or 5 or 9 days was quick.... gee im happy with that.....

"Whatever" ? Are we having an argument I don't know about and that's you throwing your arms up in exacerbation? :lol:

I think the point Genesis is making is the fact inspections exist, ie. police coming into your house to pry through your belongings without warrant or reason, is a sad fact that shouldn't exist in a so called democracy. Sadder aspect is that people accept it and actually enjoy the process of being vetted by the state, (see thread on FUDDS).
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 08 Mar 2016, 10:19 am

It is NOT an unwarranted SEARCH. It is an inpection that you agree with when applying for a licence. If you feel you are being searched and unfairly treated, REPORT it. INSIST inspections are at a time that suits YOU and make sure everything is in order for it (an always).

I have nothing against safe storage requirements and mutually arranged inspections. If it prevents any accidental deaths through unsecured firearms then it's a good thing.

Yes, it's annoying, inconvenient and doesn't solve gun crime but reading people constantly misrepresenting the facts or failing to understand your personal rights or the laws is as bad as seeing all the completely unfounded crap that irrational anti gunners spout incessantly. It does nothing to address the issue or fix the problem.
Last edited by Gwion on 09 Mar 2016, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 08 Mar 2016, 10:24 am

adam wrote:

Spread the word mate - your government things we're a prime example of the way a country should run gun control and American's need to be aware of it!

Even Canada as I understand it had a registry and then closed it down. I'm not sure who's the more foolish. Our government who's implemented all this and thinks that it's doing a great job - or your government for wanting to implement the same...

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

You should be.

Australia is the testing ground for the USA.

Wanna bet?

Providing there are no international laws against it LOL.

Carry, firearm ownership, and shooting sports are increasing exponentially in the US. We had a terrible school shooting end of 2012 and the media (and Huesein) went ballistic. The couldn't even get the anti-gun Democrats to vote for BACKGROUND CHECKS in the Senate, one of our two houses of legislature. And the House would have laughed it off.

Gun laws get better in the US every year.

Our "government" wants no such thing, you are mistaken. There are people in our government that do, and they are a shrinking minority.

Could change in the future. But not tomorrow. I'm an activist, a fighter, and take nothing for granted. But you need to understand that when your anti media tells you they are going to ban guns, it might be true. When our anti media tells you they are going to ban guns, it's baloney.

You spend a year in a place like this and there is no way you will go home thinking we are going to have gun bans and mandatory nonsense laws. 1 out of 9 people in my Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania legally carry firearms every day and come around May of this year that will probably change to 1 out of 8. 60% of people in the US own guns and in the free world (outside of NJ MD, MA, CA, NY) it's probably closer to 90%.

The firearm with the highest sales in the US for the last 20 years has been the AR-15. I know we have about 10x the population you have, but there are about 10x as many AR-15s alone in the US than there are guns in all of Australia. 310 million guns (minimum) purchased from the manufacturing infrastructure since 1968, not including the ones we make ourselves or buy elsewhere.

Every two months we buy as many guns from the manufacturing infrastructure as all the guns in existence in Australia: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/42 ... -c-w-cooke

You can listen to your TV, but take it with a grain of salt.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 08 Mar 2016, 10:28 am

happyhunter wrote:I think the point Genesis is making is the fact inspections exist, ie. police coming into your house to pry through your belongings without warrant or reason, is a sad fact that shouldn't exist in a so called democracy. Sadder aspect is that people accept it and actually enjoy the process of being vetted by the state, (see thread on FUDDS).

I understand that.

As I said, my comment was directed at anyone who is worried about an inspection with the purpose of saying there really isn't anything to stress about.

I wasn't regaling everyone with the fairytale of 'Lorgar and the gun safe inspection' and saying it's a wonderful day everyone should hope to have.

The cop left in a car, not a pumpkin-coach he had to get back to the station before midnight :lol:

People need to calm down, take things as they're intended, and rant less :friends:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 08 Mar 2016, 10:41 am

Lorgar wrote:and rant less

Have you been to a forum before? :lol:
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 08 Mar 2016, 10:53 am

Lorgar wrote:People need to calm down, take things as they're intended, and rant less :friends:

LOL you have been consistently misunderstood within this thread. Comedy.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmanian gun laws