Tasmania draft Firearms Amendment Regulations 2017

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Tasmania draft Firearms Amendment Regulations 2017

Post by Fritz » 15 Dec 2016, 5:03 am

Fritz
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Tasmania draft Firearms Amendment Regulations 2017

Post by Supaduke » 15 Dec 2016, 5:31 am

So basically you must now have a commercial safe. Not the worst change I've heard and I imagine most blokes would be unaffected. Still, it's one more layer of bureaucracy LFO's have to wade through, and that's never a good thing.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sakoBC » 15 Dec 2016, 8:36 am

The slippery slope, “Additional storage requirements for 10 or more firearms and Category H firearms”……..
Next amendment, “Additional storage requirements for 2 or more firearms………”
Next amendment,” All firearms to be stored in a central repository accessible at 48 hours’ notice…..”
If they are looking to deter theft and unlawful possession of firearms, here’s an idea:
- Penalty for stealing firearms: minimum sentence 10 years ,
- Penalty for illegally importing firearms: minimum sentence 10 years,
- Penalty for use/possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime: minimum sentence 20 years.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 15 Dec 2016, 8:49 am

Slippery slope indeed, but it doesn't matter how long the sentence for stealing firearms is made because tougher laws don't deter criminals. On the contrary, tougher laws adds value to the black market and actually increases crime.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sakoBC » 15 Dec 2016, 10:05 am

Yep, agree on the tougher laws. I’m talking about tougher sentencing. Crime will go down because you can’t re-offend if you are in gaol for 10 years.
There is a mountain of examples where crimes are committed by repeat offenders who are on good behaviour bonds; on bail, or were set free because a magistrate or judge does not believe in custodial sentences (Man Monis and the list goes on).
I agree that it is not a deterrent if the maximum sentence is 10 years and the courts are handing out fines with no conviction. It may change if criminals start to be locked up for long sentences.
There is no definitive evidence that mandatory sentencing for gun related crimes works or does not work, simply because it has not been tried. The bench hates being told what to do and politicians are a bunch of jelly fish.
So the only option left is to continue targeting the soft touch LAFO.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lole » 15 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

Additional storage requirements for 2 or more firearms

God, ease up :roll:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Dec 2016, 1:36 pm

This is actually a little lighter than i was expecting. I was told a couple of years ago that the new requirements would be closer to CatC standards.
As it is, these amendments really only bring Tas into line with the other states. Fair enough, i say; keeping firearms in a wooden box or old school locker is pretty dodgy. I know safes can all be broken into but most steel/commercial safes take a bit more than a whack from the ax sitting out in the wood shed!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 15 Dec 2016, 3:06 pm

I see the ammo storage requirements are different, at least in VIC - lockable filing cabinet or essentially, separate lockable receptacle, as far as I understand.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 15 Dec 2016, 3:33 pm

sakoBC wrote:Yep, agree on the tougher laws. I’m talking about tougher sentencing. Crime will go down because you can’t re-offend if you are in gaol for 10 years.
There is a mountain of examples where crimes are committed by repeat offenders who are on good behaviour bonds; on bail, or were set free because a magistrate or judge does not believe in custodial sentences (Man Monis and the list goes on).
I agree that it is not a deterrent if the maximum sentence is 10 years and the courts are handing out fines with no conviction. It may change if criminals start to be locked up for long sentences.
There is no definitive evidence that mandatory sentencing for gun related crimes works or does not work, simply because it has not been tried. The bench hates being told what to do and politicians are a bunch of jelly fish.
So the only option left is to continue targeting the soft touch LAFO.

It doesn't work and costs lots of money. You can keep locking people up and plenty more come through to replace them. Look at the USA and it's war on drugs. Doesn't work, tried tested and failed. The black market money is too good, just like the money in selling black market guns is too good for the crims to resist. Higher the risk, greater the reward.

You want to reduce gun theft? Take responsibility for the security of your guns, secure your premises. Take whatever steps are necessary. Expecting the cops and the government to do it will never work no matter what laws and sentencing they introduce.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 15 Dec 2016, 3:43 pm

Gwion wrote:This is actually a little lighter than i was expecting. I was told a couple of years ago that the new requirements would be closer to CatC standards.
As it is, these amendments really only bring Tas into line with the other states. Fair enough, i say; keeping firearms in a wooden box or old school locker is pretty dodgy. I know safes can all be broken into but most steel/commercial safes take a bit more than a whack from the ax sitting out in the wood shed!

It's crazy that we need laws to force people to do it. You can't stop a determined thief but you can sure make it as difficult as possible for somebody to steal your stuff.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 15 Dec 2016, 7:53 pm

Totally!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2016, 12:27 am

sakoBC wrote:The slippery slope, “Additional storage requirements for 10 or more firearms and Category H firearms”……..
Next amendment, “Additional storage requirements for 2 or more firearms………”
Next amendment,” All firearms to be stored in a central repository accessible at 48 hours’ notice…..”
If they are looking to deter theft and unlawful possession of firearms, here’s an idea:
- Penalty for stealing firearms: minimum sentence 10 years ,
- Penalty for illegally importing firearms: minimum sentence 10 years,
- Penalty for use/possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime: minimum sentence 20 years.

man you are just as liberal as they are , any crime no matter what it is if it involves a firearm you should get a mandatory min 30 years

and no I don't mean trivial s**t but crimes that are I think known as an indictable offence .

you know you pinch a gun use a gun in a crime you have a gun and no licence that type of thing .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Tasmanian gun laws