Training rifle and ACT requirements

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

Training rifle and ACT requirements

Post by darkspartan2022 » 09 Jun 2022, 12:17 am

Hi all,

Question on ACT regulations after reading them. I currently have a .22WMR CZ515 as my first rifle. I'm hoping to upgrade soon to something for precision target shooting/hunting. I'm attempting to understand what the regulations require, and wanted to get any views in case anyone has dealt with this in the past before speaking to the registry.

I'd like to retain the .22 for target practice given the ammunition is significantly cheaper but if the .22 is currently marked as target shooting/hunting for the genuine reason and then I purchase another rifle, does that mean I have to do four 'shooting activities' a year with both (being 8?)? I'm struggling to find SSAA disciplines for the .22WMR :(. (an ongoing conversation in the target shooting sub topic - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16870).

Or does it mean four 'shooting activities' across all firearms for cat A and B? For example, I could do all Cat B and still keep the .22 for practice.

It's also not clear to me whether 'shooting activities' would include just going down to the range for a 'general session' (general sessions are listed on the SSAA ACT website). Or whether it would be participating in four discipline events.

Thanks!
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Australian Capital Territory gun laws