Question - Firearms safe location and installatioon premises

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

Question - Firearms safe location and installatioon premises

Post by darkspartan2022 » 23 Feb 2022, 6:52 pm

hi all,

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Question on firearms safe installation here in Canberra. I'm in the process of obtaining my first firearms license for cat A and B in ACT. I've purchased a a lokaway safe and about to have professional safe installation (not very comfortable drilling into our concrete floor and applying the bolts).

I was thinking of installing in a bedroom which is away from the usual walk ways etc on carpet and drill it directly into the concrete slab (no appropriate wall studs). We dont have any wardrobes that are flush with the concrete floor. They are all raised by about 10cms with an air gap between the wooden floor of the wardrobe and the concrete slab. The room has a window but it has been positioned where you cannot see it. The 'other half' doesnt want me destroying the wardrobes as we're possibly looking at selling in 12 months. There are no closed off cupboard type places to install.

I quickly decided to run it past the Firearms Registry and they basically said it isnt well hidden on the premsies, so if there is a burglary the safe will be a target and then word will spread i have a safe. But was very unclear if it would be compliant. The suggestion was storing it in a garage or shed (or a friends garage or shed). I dont have a garage and my garden shed just doesnt feel reasonably safe (colourbond simple locked shed far away from house). I also feel uncomfortable storing firearms at someone elses premises given I am responsible and having to organise with them to be available when going to the range.

Does anyone in the ACT have a firearms safe in an office or bedroom not hidden in a wardrobe and has been fine in terms of compliance checks? It will still be bolted into the concrete slab (through carpet). The Firearms Regulations 2008 for under 10 cat A and B firearms seems to state it just needs to fixed to the floor or the wall (unlike the higher cats which talk specifically about exactly what is required).

Thanks for any thoughts!
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Question - Firearms safe location and installatioon prem

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2022, 7:56 am

The Registry may not like it, but as long as it complies with law it's fine.
There is no law about the neighbourhood not being allowed to know you own a gun safe.

darkspartan2022 wrote:hi all,

Question on firearms safe installation here in Canberra. I'm in the process of obtaining my first firearms license for cat A and B in ACT. I've purchased a a lokaway safe and about to have professional safe installation (not very comfortable drilling into our concrete floor and applying the bolts).

I was thinking of installing in a bedroom which is away from the usual walk ways etc on carpet and drill it directly into the concrete slab (no appropriate wall studs). We dont have any wardrobes that are flush with the concrete floor. They are all raised by about 10cms with an air gap between the wooden floor of the wardrobe and the concrete slab. The room has a window but it has been positioned where you cannot see it. The 'other half' doesnt want me destroying the wardrobes as we're possibly looking at selling in 12 months. There are no closed off cupboard type places to install.

I quickly decided to run it past the Firearms Registry and they basically said it isnt well hidden on the premsies, so if there is a burglary the safe will be a target and then word will spread i have a safe. But was very unclear if it would be compliant. The suggestion was storing it in a garage or shed (or a friends garage or shed). I dont have a garage and my garden shed just doesnt feel reasonably safe (colourbond simple locked shed far away from house). I also feel uncomfortable storing firearms at someone elses premises given I am responsible and having to organise with them to be available when going to the range.

Does anyone in the ACT have a firearms safe in an office or bedroom not hidden in a wardrobe and has been fine in terms of compliance checks? It will still be bolted into the concrete slab (through carpet). The Firearms Regulations 2008 for under 10 cat A and B firearms seems to state it just needs to fixed to the floor or the wall (unlike the higher cats which talk specifically about exactly what is required).

Thanks for any thoughts!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 27 Feb 2022, 9:51 am

Take the raised floor out of the wardrobe.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by darkspartan2022 » 27 Feb 2022, 10:02 am

bladeracer wrote:The Registry may not like it, but as long as it complies with law it's fine.
There is no law about the neighbourhood not being allowed to know you own a gun safe.

darkspartan2022 wrote:hi all,

Thanks for any thoughts!

Thanks! Exactly what I was thinking.
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Post by darkspartan2022 » 27 Feb 2022, 10:06 am

womble wrote:Take the raised floor out of the wardrobe.

Thanks. No thanks though. Has nothing to do with being pussy whipped but respectful of someone who shares ownership :) (they also dont have a pussy :lol: ).
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Australian Capital Territory gun laws