Limit for having guns out of safe while traveling?

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

Limit for having guns out of safe while traveling?

Post by Kipper » 17 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

New to this for forgive me if this is a stupid question...

I have my gun safe at home, no problems, but also travel to a property a few hours away for a couple of days at a time once or twice a month.

Am I able to have the rifle in a locked case for a few days at a time, in the house or in the boot of the car, so I don't have to buy another safe for the property?

Cheers.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Limit for having guns out of safe while traveling?

Post by Brute » 19 Jul 2013, 9:54 am

Kipper wrote:I have my gun safe at home, no problems, but also travel to a property a few hours away for a couple of days at a time once or twice a month.

Am I able to have the rifle in a locked case for a few days at a time, in the house or in the boot of the car, so I don't have to buy another safe for the property?

Either of those is just leaving it unsecured mate.

Car could get stolen, only takes 2 seconds to break a window and grab the case etc.

Same for the house. No safe = no security.

If you're gear got stolen you'd be in the s**t for sure.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 19 Jul 2013, 10:03 am

I've read of a few people being charged for leaving guns in the car and then having them stolen.

As you said Brute, it only takes 2 seconds and isn't secured at all.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aster » 19 Jul 2013, 4:30 pm

Kipper wrote:Am I able to have the rifle in a locked case for a few days at a time, in the house or in the boot of the car, so I don't have to buy another safe for the property?

Definitely not OK, Kipper.

A locked case is all well and good for doing your due due diligence when transporting a firearm, but worthless for storage.

The fact that the case is locked doesn't prevent anyone from simply carrying it away.

As mentioned, breaking a car or house window and picking up a case only takes 2 seconds. Once they have it back to wherever they have all the time in the world to break open the case and the lock is of on consequence.

If you were to have a firearm stolen after leaving unattended in the house or in your car, you would certainly be charged with improper storage.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by lole » 22 Jul 2013, 2:54 pm

Invest in another gun safe friend.

For the sake of a few hundred $$$ you'll be saving yourself a world of trouble.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 25 Jul 2013, 8:52 am

Kipper wrote:Am I able to have the rifle in a locked case for a few days at a time, in the house or in the boot of the car, so I don't have to buy another safe for the property?

Somewhere in the FA act or state laws in regards to carrying a FA (i.e. having it out of storage) it says something along the lines '...must be travelling to/from it's intended place of use'

Having it out for a day or whatever when your on your way is fine, explaining that you went for a shoot 3-4 days before it got stolen though will land you in hot water...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 29 Jul 2013, 3:30 pm

Righto, cheers.

Looks like I'll be investing in another safe.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Seik » 30 Jul 2013, 10:12 am

Kipper wrote:Righto, cheers.

Looks like I'll be investing in another safe.

That's the way mate. "Better safe than sorry" as always when it comes to firearms.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Australian Capital Territory gun laws