ACT permit to acquire confusion

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

ACT permit to acquire confusion

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 10:24 am

Trying to make sense of the ACT PtA.
https://www.police.act.gov.au/sites/default/files/PDF/Forms/firearm-permit-application.pdf

It requires complete details including the serial number.
So you basically have to own the firearm to be able to put in the PtA?

Is a dealer supposed to hold a firearm for you for a month until the PtA comes back, and if it's approved then you can buy it?

Down here I see a firearm I like and I simply buy it. PtA takes five minutes to several hours and I take it home with me.
Attachments
ACT PtA.JPG
ACT PtA.JPG (104.64 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: ACT PtA

Post by yoshie » 23 Jan 2017, 12:30 pm

Yep that's it. You'll need model, brand, serial no. Barrel length for pistols. I tried to buy a rifle from a big gun shop in Sydney once, when the pta came back i went to pick it up and they'd sold it. They were just going to update the serial no, doesn't work that way, had a tough time geting my money back off them too, they wanted to sell me another they had on the shelf but couldn't give me a garentee that they wouldn't sell that one on me too. I told the i was pretty upset at waisting over a month, 2 tanks of fuel, a weekend and $30 pta fee, but they couldn't careless with customers lining up behind me. Bit the bullet and bought local. I have bought a few used ones with out problems, but the big gunshops aren't familiar with ACT procedure. What you could do is pay in full and get it sent to an ACT dealer, that way it wont go missing.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Re: ACT PtA

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 3:02 pm

yoshie wrote:Yep that's it. You'll need model, brand, serial no. Barrel length for pistols. I tried to buy a rifle from a big gun shop in Sydney once, when the pta came back i went to pick it up and they'd sold it. They were just going to update the serial no, doesn't work that way, had a tough time geting my money back off them too, they wanted to sell me another they had on the shelf but couldn't give me a garentee that they wouldn't sell that one on me too. I told the i was pretty upset at waisting over a month, 2 tanks of fuel, a weekend and $30 pta fee, but they couldn't careless with customers lining up behind me. Bit the bullet and bought local. I have bought a few used ones with out problems, but the big gunshops aren't familiar with ACT procedure. What you could do is pay in full and get it sent to an ACT dealer, that way it wont go missing.

Thanks Yoshie :-)
So, basically, the reason I couldn't make sense of it is that it doesn't make sense :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Australian Capital Territory gun laws