Licensed Activites and getting licenses in ACT / NSW

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

Licensed Activites and getting licenses in ACT / NSW

Post by straightsilver » 17 Apr 2017, 10:28 am

Probably a dumb question but the search turned up nothing. In the ACT are firearms licenses tied to a specific activity? Say if I put down sport target shooting and join a club as my justification for Cat A/B can I then later get a nsw r licence and go hunting in NSW on the same firearms license?
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Licensed Activites and getting licenses in ACT / NSW

Post by Sherwin93 » 17 Apr 2017, 5:59 pm

I'm in NSW and put rec hunting A and B on my apllication because my target club has approval as a hunting club as well. In NSW you can only use the firearm for the what is on your licence. An R licence just permits you to hunt on public land. However licences are recognized by other states so you can go on a hunting trip if everything else is in order.
Lithgow LA101 - 22LR
Sherwin93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightsilver » 17 Apr 2017, 6:46 pm

Thanks @Sherwin93 but I am asking about ACT specifically the firearms licensing site isn't clear.
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Archie » 17 Apr 2017, 8:36 pm

Effectively the licence is tied to the genuine reason. Specifically, it's an offence to use a firearm, even if you have a licence, outside the terms of the licence. And, one of the terms of the licence, is that you use it for the stated reason. That is why both the ACT and NSW laws have a specific section that allows people with recreational hunting as their reason, to use approved firing ranges for sighting in and practice. Because technically otherwise they would be target shooting, which they aren't authorised for. Madness but that's the way it is.

More difficult is that you also want to cross state boundaries at the same time as using a target licence to go hunting. So I don't know whether using an ACT licence (which is recognised under the regulations by NSW) to do something in NSW that, one, it wouldn't allow you to do in the ACT and two, if it were a NSW licence I'm fairly sure you couldn't do in NSW either, is actually an offence. But my guess is you're at best in a grey area.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightsilver » 17 Apr 2017, 9:01 pm

Thanks Archie I am going to enquire with the SSAA when I sit the safety course
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Post by duncan61 » 17 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

I am in W.A. but when I applied for a second .243 I used my pro shooting as the reason and got a letter stating that the firearm can only be used for culling Kangaroos and nothing else
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 18 Apr 2017, 2:56 am

You can get a R licence if your A/B licence is for target and hunting in the ACT they will issue a R licence but if its for target only they will not issue it . you need to be a member of an approved hunting club
section D. Approved Hunting Organisation (AHO) membership
Please provide evidence of your AHO membership:
□ I have attached a copy of my current Approved Hunting Organisation membership card
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 18 Apr 2017, 7:07 am

straightsilver wrote:Thanks Archie I am going to enquire with the SSAA when I sit the safety course

I sat the course in the ACT branch a couple of months ago, and this question came up. Someone specifically asked if they could use their licence (which only had a sport shooting as a reason) to go on a hunt on private property in VIC - the SSAA instructor said you needed to have hunting/vermin control as a genuine reason if you wanted partake in either of these.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 18 Apr 2017, 11:23 am

ok so my question would be if you put hunting and target shooting do you need to proove that you are hunting? and is there any additional requirements?

i put target shooting on mine...but considering adding hunting...not something i will do very often but it might be nice to have the option.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by Geech » 18 Apr 2017, 11:38 am

Sorry, can't say specifically what is required for ACT (I'm NSW) - but I'd imagine you would need a similar amount of "proof" as NSW. ie being a member of an approved hunting organisation, having an recreational/game hunting licence in the state you plan to hunt, or having a letter from a landowner.

During the SSAA membership application there was a spot on the form to indicate you plan to use your membership as a genuine reason for hunting as I believe they are an approved hunting organisation.

If you've got somewhere in mind to hunt, I'd suggest you use that as the basis of your proof of genuine need - ie if you plan to hunt NSW State forests, apply for the R licence - if you plan to hunt on private property, get a letter from the land owner, etc.

As a side note, I found that getting my NSW R licence was very quick. I applied online the morning after completing the course at the SSAA, and I had my interim licence issued that afternoon (With my real licence arriving in the mail a week or so later).
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightsilver » 18 Apr 2017, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone this has cleared it up for me!

I am doing the SSAA safety course with the ACT branch this week then will get a NSW R Licence then apply for a licence with both Sport Shooting and Hunting.
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Post by duncan61 » 18 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

Glad you found the solution
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia