Driving through the ACT with firearms

Questions about Australian Capital Territory gun and ammunition laws. A.C.T. Firearms Act 1996.

Driving through the ACT with firearms

Post by PaddyT » 08 Feb 2018, 10:41 am

Im a bit confused with this one, I have a mate who has invited me for a fox hunt down near Cooma and the obvious drive from Sydney cuts through the ACT- so my question is- is travelling through the ACT with properly stored and registered rifles locked in the car permisible? If the ACT police (Feds) pull me over and ask if i have firearms in my possession what are the rule - besides simply telling the truth?
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Driving through the ACT with firearms

Post by pomemax » 08 Feb 2018, 11:23 am

Rules are real easy if your in ACT = ACT rules Safety requirements for transporting prohibited firearms
or pistols—Act, s 234

if in NSW = NSW rules
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Feb 2018, 11:57 am

Unloaded, secured to vehicle. Chain or steel cable locked to structure of vehicle or in a locked box that is secured to the vehicle. Ammo locked seperately.
Out of direct sight ideally.
ACT recognises out of state licences.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 12 Sep 2019, 10:48 am

Have a copy of your licence.I discovered recently in the free state of W.A. I have committed an offence if I fail to have my plastic card and current paper licence with me when in possession of my firearms
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 12 Sep 2019, 12:54 pm

GameRancher had the correct answer. The firearm must be chained to the vehicle. That is a chain through the action to a secure point on the frame of the car. As well as all the other normal requirements.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Sep 2019, 3:06 pm

Fk... what if we have an expensive or a government or company vehicle
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2019, 3:08 pm

sungazer wrote:GameRancher had the correct answer. The firearm must be chained to the vehicle. That is a chain through the action to a secure point on the frame of the car. As well as all the other normal requirements.

How is that possible if it's in a bag or box?
My brother has a lockable cage area in the bottom of the rear of his Jeep so he keeps his forearms in there, in a locked case.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Sep 2019, 4:29 pm

sungazer wrote:GameRancher had the correct answer. The firearm must be chained to the vehicle. That is a chain through the action to a secure point on the frame of the car. As well as all the other normal requirements.

That would be impossible to meet in a number of cases...through the action ? Chain? To get a chain small enough to go through the action would mean a very small link, easily broken...weird ass rules.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 12 Sep 2019, 5:10 pm

I know a lot of guys that travel to the ACT to compete is the State Queens shoot and they have to open cases and bags that rifles are kept in to secure the rifle as required. The rule does state or the cases but that has been sometimes subject to personal opinion on how strong the case should be hence locking through the open action. Think of chain as plastic covered steel wire most commonly used.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2019, 5:35 pm

sungazer wrote:I know a lot of guys that travel to the ACT to compete is the State Queens shoot and they have to open cases and bags that rifles are kept in to secure the rifle as required. The rule does state or the cases but that has been sometimes subject to personal opinion on how strong the case should be hence locking through the open action. Think of chain as plastic covered steel wire most commonly used.

When you say they have to do this, who makes them? Is that just what the specific club(s) they're attending require them to do?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Australian Capital Territory gun laws