What firearm parts are regulated here?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

What firearm parts are regulated here?

Post by C3H5N3O9Smoker » 21 Oct 2020, 11:44 pm

Hi everyone

I am wondering what parts are regulated and what parts I can just buy because I am looking to buy parts for my rimfire semiauto. I have contacted the registrar and nobody apart from the range officer seems to know. The person on the phone says they will call me back but I never get a call back and when I do call and ask for the range officer, the guy is never there. This has been happening for ages and now I am tired of getting put on the back burner.

After reading both 2015 and 2017 acts, looking at what other states are doing and their relevant legislation and looking at what people are selling online I have come to the conclusion that the receiver is the only regulated part since that is the only specific part mentioned in the interpretation section under "firearm" while all the other parts such as barrel, bolt, magazine, etc are under "firearms part" which I cannot see anywhere saying it needs to be registered or the registrar needs to approve a permit to acquire or be notified of the purchase but if anyone can provide more information or knows more please let me know.

It would also be interesting to find out how firearms that have the receiver as 2 parts would be regulated since I know a few primary producers here that own rimfire AR-15's and hypothetically if they wanted to change the caliber would they be allowed to purchase a new upper or would that be classified as a completely new firearm breeching the 1 semiauto rifle limit?

tdlr I want to turn my .17 wsm into .22lr but I have no idea whether owning both an upper assembly in .17 wsm and an upper assembly in .22lr at the same time is allowed.

Thanks everyone!
C3H5N3O9Smoker
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: What firearm parts are regulated here?

Post by JohnV » 24 Jan 2021, 1:17 pm

In NSW the parts that pertain to the actual working of a barreled action , bolt and trigger to fire a round. An unchambered barrel seems to be not covered as far as I can see .
It does not include scopes , scope mounts , scope accessories , slings , stocks or bipods and you don't even need a gun license to own that stuff . I have bought all that stuff in the past and never been asked for a license .
However Customs have their own ideas and interpretations and I have heard from other people that you still have to get a B7O9a form to bring in a barrel blank in NSW anyway . It's crazy , I can buy bullet jackets from within Australia by mail direct to my door but if I import them they want a B7O9a form and describe them as unfinished bullets . However when I imported finished projectiles from Berger they just came by courier . It makes no sense at all , and what is the SSAA doing about this kind of thing SFA .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to South Australian gun laws