Requirement to register a firearm

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Requirement to register a firearm

Post by heycharger » 21 Jan 2024, 7:15 pm

Can someone point me to a reference in the SA legislation, firearms regs, relating to rifles made pre 1900, with modern ammo not commercially available. Is there a need to have these registered? TIA.
heycharger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Requirement to register a firearm

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2024, 7:27 pm

heycharger wrote:Can someone point me to a reference in the SA legislation, firearms regs, relating to rifles made pre 1900, with modern ammo not commercially available. Is there a need to have these registered? TIA.

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/441325/Firearms-Changes-2017-What-Do-I-Need-To-Know.pdf
Screenshot 2024-01-21 202622.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-21 202622.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 332 times

I think it only needs to be registered as a firearm if you intend to use it. If you are only keeping it as a curio with no intention of firing it I don't think it needs to be registered.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jan 2024, 9:12 pm

No1 should know. He will probably che in
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Jan 2024, 11:34 pm

The information bladeracer posted is correct, the applicable part of Legislation is the South Australian Firearms Act 2017 v.8-7-21, Section 4, Sub-Section 1, "firearm (c)" states the exemption of "antique firearm" from operation of the Act, and Section 5 Sub-Section 2 gives the definition of "antique firearm" as shown above. Still confuses me that inoperable deactivated firearms have been brought under the Act for licencing and registration but an operable Winchester 1894 in an obsolete caliber has not, they must have swallowed some of our Victorian Govt. approved stupid pills and decided to be as dumb as our Gumbiment.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws