Rechambering a rifle before its registered

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Rechambering a rifle before its registered

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 07 Aug 2018, 8:16 pm

So probably a stupid question but I thought I'd ask anyway. Was hoping to buy a rifle in .338 lapua (couldn't possibly get it registered in this chambering in SA) and get it rechambered for .338 Norma before I put in the pta, is this possible? Again sorry if this is a moronic question, cheers
What do you call a fly with no wings?

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Rechambering a rifle before its registered

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Aug 2018, 8:33 pm

Not really sure the difference in the laws between QLD and SA, but I'd think you dont need a PTA until the dealer is ready to sell it to you.
PTA stands for 'Permit To Acquire', so until you are ready to acquire the rifle, then you shouldnt need the PTA.
If the dealer is happy to organize the re-chambering, I wouldnt think you'd need to submit a PTA until you are ready to take delivery?

The big question (as far as I can see), is whether the dealer is prepared to go out on a limb financially to have a new rifle re-chambered, before the person who ordered it has taken delivery of it.
You might have to pay a fair amount of the cost of the rifle and re-chambering up-front, before they would take the risk of you cancelling the order, or being refused the PTA on what is effectively a custom rifle?

So, from my understanding, it should be legally possible, but the big question is whether you can convince a dealer to do it, as it is more of a financial risk for them.

However, I expect this very thing has been done in the past; cant see it being anything new.

My 2 cents.

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 07 Aug 2018, 8:45 pm

What if I'm purchasing the rifle interstate and then it gets to the dealer here in SA (also a gunsmith), before I fill out the pta I get them to rechamber the rifle, or is this what you said? Sorry mate, I'm a little slow

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 07 Aug 2018, 9:29 pm

I think you would want to get it rechambered interstate if 338 Lapua is banned in SA.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm

The more I think about it, the more I reckon it depends on how much the gunsmith/dealer is prepared to accommodate you.

If your are just using the local dealer/gunsmith to firstly broker the transfer, and THEN do the re-chambering, then you might have a problem, as I suspect the PTA would need to exist before the rifle will be sent to your dealer/gunsmith.

If the local dealer/gunsmith sourced the rifle for you from interstate, then they might be more comfortable with getting it delivered, re-chambering it, and then selling it to you, before they require a PTA.
I'd suggest talking to the SA Weapons Licensing people to clarify what needs to happen.
I'd guess you might have to spend some serious time&effort to convince your local dealer you are going to be worth the hassle....

Good luck!

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2018, 9:45 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:...I suspect the PTA would need to exist before the rifle will be sent to your dealer/gunsmith.

I've never applied for a PtA before a firearm arrives at my dealer.

What are you paying to remove, shorten, and re-install the barrel?
Would be cheaper to buy a barrel blank and sell the original barrel?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm

What is the problem getting 338 lap registered in SA...?
Im pretty sure there are a few people in SA with registered bolt action rifles in this chambering.

And more importantly, you asked sbout getting it rechsmbered before its 'registered'.
Do you mean its not currently registered, or do you mean you're thinking to get it rechambered before its registered in your name...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 07 Aug 2018, 11:13 pm

So I'd be buying a rifle interstate from a private owner, and I was wondering when the rifle is delivered here in SA to the dealer/gunsmith if I could get it rechambered before I'd have to fill out the pta? .338 lap isn't banned but neigh impossible to have registered to anyone in SA

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 11:27 pm

Ask the person to hold the rifle while pta is (hopefully) being approved.
Then get it sent & rechamber if ness...?

I didnt know 338 hard to get registered here? I know a couple people woth them.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 11:28 pm

It will judt give you a headache anyway... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 07 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm

Hmm I guess I could try just get a 338 lap pta and see what happens. Is there a 'best' reason/need that I can or should put on the pta?

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 08 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

sounds really strange so you are saying a 338 Norma is ok and a 338 Lap is not? In vic it would be an offense not to notify them of the guns modification I think for this one.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by straightshooter » 08 Aug 2018, 8:22 am

Hard to fathom any sense in the original poster's proposal.
Rechambering will require a considerable setting back of the barrel which might not be feasible depending on the barrel tenon and profile. It won't remove the 338 Lapua designation stamped on the existing barrel.
Lastly, no dealer is likely to participate in dodgy practices if it will jeopardise their livelihood.
If you really have your heart set on some sort of tacticool implement, buy it in some more acceptable caliber and then rebarrel it to 8.6x70. Be prepared for the $'s though.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Aug 2018, 8:52 am

Hey what's wrong with tacticool 308... ohh wait 338L > 308.

My suggestion get a rusty precision rimfire... all the tacticool for zero issues. Plus low recoil, low noise, and cheap ammo to boot
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Aug 2018, 10:31 am

Here's a silliy question:
Why bother with all the f*ckaround, why not just buy 338 Norma to begin with?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 08 Aug 2018, 10:58 am

I was trying to find the cheapest option, there aren't any factory rifles chambered in .338 Norma unfortunately

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Aug 2018, 11:00 am

FliesAreAnnoying wrote:I was trying to find the cheapest option, there aren't any factory rifles chambered in .338 Norma unfortunately

Fair enough.

I don't have use for the big cannons so I know SFA about them and availability.

Good luck with it.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2018, 8:25 pm

FliesAreAnnoying wrote:I was trying to find the cheapest option, there aren't any factory rifles chambered in .338 Norma unfortunately

Assuming you can find a smith with the .338NM reamers, I would still think it'd be way cheaper to buy a magnum action (or a shot out rifle) and a barrel blank and build the rifle you want. To buy a decent .338 LM rifle and them remove the barrel, shorten it, thread it, chamber it, reinstall it, and headpsace it, would have to be more expensive, plus you should be able to sell the old barrel.

Or just buy a Ruger American in .338 WinMag and go shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws