Shooting on private property in South Australia

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Shooting on private property in South Australia

Post by tim » 21 Jan 2014, 5:58 pm

Hi guys, totally new here and totally new to firearms... So new in fact I'm still waiting to here back from the SAPOL for my licences approval letter for training.

Anyways, in the mean time I'm looking forward and making plans for when it comes through. a friend of mine owns 400 acres who's fine with the idea of me shooting on his property, however both him and me have no clue if its legal.

All I can find is I need a written permit from the land owner granting me permission but as stupid as it sounds is shooting allowed on his land as it is zoned as residential?!?

I mean my 500ms block in town is residential but permit or not I think the boys in blue wouldn't take kindly to me letting off a few rounds on it. So does it have to be private property off a certain zone? Anyone know the definition and or where I can find something clear on what the rules are as to what properties are legal.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. Any police reading this could you pretty pretty please move my application up the list :P
tim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Shooting on private property

Post by marksmanVIC » 22 Jan 2014, 1:16 am

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=34424

this is from the vicpolice website..perhaps its similar for you
marksmanVIC
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by beerd » 22 Jan 2014, 8:24 am

It won't be.

Laws can be drastically different in different states. Don't act on the laws of another state.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fry » 22 Jan 2014, 8:39 am

There isn't a set acreage specified in the firearms Act for what makes a property ok.

e.g. it doesn't say property must be over 40 acres to hunt or whatever.

For your house in the burbs, it's a populated area with no safe back drops for shooting.

The 400 acre property is a different story. That's tonnes of space and (with common sense) there will be plenty of locations/directions where it will be safe to shoot.

Just use common sense. Don't shoot from near the road and don't shoot in the direction of it. Go a reasonable distance into the property so you always have a backdrop of a hill or whatever to catch the bullet and you'll be fine.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Carter » 22 Jan 2014, 9:04 am

Don't forget you need a permit and written permission from the land holder in SA.

From the SSAA website.

3. Hunting
The South Australian Department of Environmental Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs issues hunters with permits under Section 68A of the state's National Parks and Wildlife Act. The permit covers a range of hunting activities in particular settings. Holders must carry the permit with them at all times (as with a licence) - even when hunting on private land. Permit holders also require the written permission of landowners in order to hunt on private property (permission usually only lasts for 6 months at a time).
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Octane » 22 Jan 2014, 9:32 am

beerd wrote:Laws can be drastically different in different states. Don't act on the laws of another state.

The hunting permit is a perfect example of that.

SA - Hunting permit required everywhere.
VIC - No hunting permit required (just game permit for deer)
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tim » 22 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

Thanks everyone a lot of great advice. one more thing I have also applied for my pistol license as I plan on joining my local pistol club but what's with the club use only rules?!? theirs no permit if I want to go out on the property and shoot targets or whateva? like hunting for instance I understand you are only to use a rifle as its most likely to give a kill shoot in one hit. But what if I down something at distance then put it out of its misery up close with my side arm?
tim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by 5Tom » 22 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm

If you intend to shoot an animal at a distance, be sure you will hit it with confidence and in the right spot for a quick, humane kill. If you do injure the animal, you should be ready for a follow up shot.

In QLD, no hunting can be done with a pistol so you need to use what ever firearm you have available to you or stick it with a knife.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fry » 23 Jan 2014, 8:25 am

tim wrote:Thanks everyone a lot of great advice. one more thing I have also applied for my pistol license as I plan on joining my local pistol club but what's with the club use only rules?!? theirs no permit if I want to go out on the property and shoot targets or whateva? like hunting for instance I understand you are only to use a rifle as its most likely to give a kill shoot in one hit. But what if I down something at distance then put it out of its misery up close with my side arm?

Nope. We might not like it but them's the rules.

Pistol shooting is restricted to ranges only in all states.

No shooting on private property, no hunting, no sidearm for finishing off game close up.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Triang » 23 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

Definitely not Ok to take your pistol out as a hunting sidearm mate.

Get caught, and you can expect a court date and to lose all your gear.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2016, 12:03 am

The croc shooter in darwin had to hand in his pistol a few years back and if anyone had a need for a sidearm it was him.They can be a lot of fun just dont get caught with it unless you are on the way to or from the range
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by deadkitty » 05 Oct 2016, 7:12 am

Godd advice from all, to which I'll add, talk to your/ his neighbors before you get your gun licence and explain what you're doing beforehand, it really helps in the shooting publice relations department, and you never know you might get invitations to shoot elasewhere too. Good luck and remember to have fun!.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Shooting on private property in South Australia

Post by Download » 11 Oct 2016, 9:08 pm

They'll explain it in the course but to sum it up you can technically shoot a gun on any private property in SA provided you don't do so in a manner that a reasonable person would find annoying, dangerous or threatening, and have a piece of paper from the landholder that says its okay. To hunt you need a permit from the wildlife branch of the environment department - even for feral animals (yes, it's dumb) - on top of that and you need to have the POU for hunting or target shooting on your licence for the category of firearm you wish to use.

Contrary to what someone said, many states do offer Cat H for primary producers which allows them to use handguns on their farms but I don't think its offered in SA and you're not a primary producer.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws