anybody had their licence approved with a mental illness?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Re: anybody had their licence approved with a mental illness

Post by Nick90 » 31 Jul 2019, 10:09 pm

zhuk wrote:This is true. And in NSW it does not have to be a current condition either...the licence application form states "have you in NSW or elsewhere EVER attempted suicide or self harm, or in the past 12 months been referred to or treated for alcoholism, drug dependence, or a mental or nervous disorder or illness?"

I was treated in my teens and early 20s for issues which came to a head due to abuse in childhood...this was more than 30 years ago and I am completely recovered with nil chance of relapse, yet I had to spend 3 months looking for a psychiatrist who would be prepared to see me and write a report for FAR, attesting to my competence to hold a licence when it came up for renewal (the rules necessitating a doctor's report had changed in the 5 years since I'd originally got licensed).

Finally found one who was possibly the only doc in Sydney prepared to do so. He wrote a glowing report which was accepted by the Registry...however it did cost me $900 for that hour consult & report fee.

I am not looking forward to going through that expense and ordeal again this year when my renewal comes due, particularly when so I hear anyone marking that question as 'yes' on the online Service NSW form is getting an automatic knockback, or at least freeze on your licence.

Hi Zhuk,

Can you message me? For some reason it won’t allow me to message you.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: anybody had their licence approved with a mental illness

Post by Blackened » 01 Aug 2019, 9:47 am

Nick90 wrote:Hi Zhuk,

Can you message me? For some reason it won’t allow me to message you.

New members don't immediately have access to the PM system, to stop spammers from contacting members.

It becomes available to you after you've contributed some posts and replies to the forum.

:drinks:
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to South Australian gun laws