Nothing but great service from SAPOL Firearms!

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Nothing but great service from SAPOL Firearms!

Post by elnino » 19 Apr 2019, 1:41 pm

So about 8 years ago I gave up my license - Things happening in my life at the time just meant it wasn't worth paying licensing and club fees when I basically couldn't attend let alone get out into a hunting area. I gave up the couple of rifles I had and moved on.

This year I decided it was time to get back in to things - Applied for my license on a Saturday down at the local police station and it was approved by SAPOL Firearms on the following Tuesday. It took Aus post longer to get the approval to me than it took them to approve it. Because I was not licensed for over 2 years I had to go do the safety course again - Had to wait 6 weeks for that and it was on a Sunday.

Received my License in the mail 8 days after the course on the Monday! A couple of weeks later I went to my LGS having already decided what I wanted, laid down some cash and they put in an online PTA last Friday (Night). SAPOL Firearms called me on the Following Monday stating that it was all approved but because this was my 'First' rifle, I still had to wait 28 days. I said that was fine, and that I roughly expected that.

Everyone seems to bag out their FAR but I honestly have nothing bad to say about my experiences this time round.

SAPOL Firearms - You're doing it right in my eyes!

I will say though that the new procedure of having to pay for your first years license at application (rather than approval) is really screwing with the systems around it - ServiceSA took ages when I went for my photo because they were expecting me to pay and could not find an item in the system for 'Photo Only'. SAPOL firearms stated when they called me that they do not have the/a photo of me yet despite having it taken over 2 weeks ago. I offered to go have it re-taken but they said they will just wait for it to come through. Not sure it will based on the issues I had. Not only that, the interim paper license now no longer includes purpose of use printed on it (or at least mine doesn't) so the LGS had to take my word for it when doing the PTA and it also puts them on edge a bit when things aren't quite as they expect (and they should!).

Counting the days.....
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Nothing but great service from SAPOL Firearms!

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Apr 2019, 3:28 pm

Great news elnino :thumbsup:

Apparently SAPOL uses online PTA forms now and once your cooling off period is over subsequent firearms purchases and approvals can be as fast as same day.

They were using the old paper forms only a few months ago, that would pile up on someone's desk and take forever to process.

In years gone by SAPOL has been known to drag their feet and been less than helpful over the phone, I have seen that for myself, I've had PTAs taks so long to process that they have been days from expiring when stamped, but it would seem that they are on their A game now.

Perhaps all the dead wood has moved on and the new generation of administration with their electronic forms are kicking goals.

I'm really looking forward to lodging my next PTA ...
Good work SAPOL welcome to the 21st century :drinks:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Nothing but great service from SAPOL Firearms!

Post by Kimbocv8 » 23 Apr 2019, 9:56 am

I will be another to say SAPOL have been exemplary to deal with over the past 2 years I have been shooting - that includes a missing registration certificate that was rectified in less than a day and the girls in the office that have always gone out of their way to help with any query either by phone or email.

Just a little clarification on SAPOLs new electronic system - SAPOL process PTAs electronically when the firearm is being purchased and PTA lodged by a dealer but the old process of posting in and waiting for approval still applies if purchasing privately. In saying that, I see that SAPOL are processing applications from last week already so the old days of 1-3 month wait times even for postal lodgement seem to be a thing of the past.
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws