Cat C license, SA property

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Cat C license, SA property

Post by JamesGrosser » 23 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm

Hey everyone, new to the forum

I’ve recently bought a property and am just thinking about applying for a cat c license, just wondering what the requirements are etc. to be able to get a cat c license?

Cheers
JamesGrosser
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Cat C license, SA property

Post by Stix » 24 Jul 2019, 8:46 am

Hi James,
You might be better checking out the details of cat C for primary producers with SAPOL firearms branch...

If you cant find it on the web site, im sure they'll set you straight if you ring them.

What area is your property in...?
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pademelon » 24 Jul 2019, 11:08 am

You'll have to explain why pump and lever action rifles or lever shotguns are not suitable, that's one of the first things they'll ask. Owning a few will definitely help as you can show you have tried but you will still have to explain why they aren't suitable. (They will bring up what firearms you have registered to your name and ask questions) You can't just own a property, you need to be running a business on that property and have proof that you are doing so. Those are the two main things. SA might be a little different and they might have a few more questions/requirements, but it shouldn't be too hard if you meet all their criteria. The best thing you can do is to ring your state's firearms branch, they will have everything you need to know.
Pademelon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by valkyrie » 24 Jul 2019, 12:54 pm

Property does not have to be the primary source of income all you need to prove is that you are significantly involved in the business
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2019, 9:01 pm

JamesGrosser wrote:Hey everyone, new to the forum

I’ve recently bought a property and am just thinking about applying for a cat c license, just wondering what the requirements are etc. to be able to get a cat c license?

Cheers

You need to be operating a primary production business on the property.
And you can only use the firearm on the specific properties it's licensed for.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 25 Jul 2019, 8:06 pm

To apply for a C class licence, you have to declare a "genuine need" for it, such as pest control in the course of primary production.

You also have to provide them with the details of the particular firearm that you need the class C licence for. Which seems impossible to me, seeing that you can't obtain the firearm without the licence, but they don't seem to see anything wrong with their system.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 26 Jul 2019, 6:25 am

Im in qld all i had to do to get mine was a letter that talked about hunting pigs in cane would make reload time critical to my safety and prove my position as farm manager on the family farm didnt have a previous licence and they dragged it out as long as possible (submitted paperwork in march approved finally in november) they dont like giving out semi auto licences but it wasnt overly difficult just took alot of patience
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to South Australian gun laws