Genuine need for this firearm which can't be met... question

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Genuine need for this firearm which can't be met... question

Post by djfrog » 29 Jul 2019, 9:08 pm

Hi All

1st timer here

Looking for how others have responded to the SAPOL PTA question -
(Cat B)
"What is the genuine need for this firearm which cannot be met by any other firearm in your possession?"
Thinking I'd simply respond using humane animal welfare line of thought matching the correct calibre to the animal.
Your thoughts?
djfrog
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: "Genuine need for this firearm which cannot be met..." q

Post by flutch » 29 Jul 2019, 11:00 pm

well be easier to answer if you say what guns you have and what you're applying for also the game and land sizes you have available to you or the intended use if its a target rifle etc.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 29 Jul 2019, 11:35 pm

Generally people put the least amount of info necessary...

What do you slready own...?,
what do you already shoot...?
& what do you intend to use it for...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 30 Jul 2019, 11:53 am

Use, twist rate, barrel length for different application, light weight for carry vs prone.
You can have multiple 308 or 223 based on twist rate alone.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 30 Jul 2019, 2:08 pm

I'm in qld, I answer that question with-

Humane destruction of ferals

I've never been asked for more info and I have 9 cat B rifles. I've always been told keep it short and sweet
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jul 2019, 2:58 pm

Try this.

Hole 5 on my new course has a very long fairway with a gentle incline. It bends slightly to the left at the 200 yard mark where a stand of trees create a challenging hazard.
A .243 with a 1 in 8 twist will allow me to place a 105 grain projectile precisely on the flagstick with ease.

Less is best, if you have another firearm in the same cal, just explain the difference between the two... this one is better suited to hunting, bench rest, easier to carry, more suited to long range, meets the requirements for a certain competition class, is all weather stainless, more sutible twist rate for heavier projectiles, my other rifle is worn out and is losing accuracy, this one is a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range my old one only has a 35 watt range", .... that sort of thing.

It's also worth asking the shop where you're buying it from as they'd have customers who deal with this regularly. :thumbsup:
images (8).jpeg
images (8).jpeg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 8084 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm

I always wondered what golfers meant when they say 'goin for a shot of golf'...

Now i know they're shooting flagsticks with 243's...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Jul 2019, 3:52 pm

Something very important posted here which the unicycle cannot see
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 30 Jul 2019, 4:17 pm

Dont shoot yourself in the foot with the old "current rifle is worn out/ not accurate anymore" excuse...
They may come straight back at you with a letter of denial & a suggestion to either re-barrel the existing, or sell it & replace it....
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm

Stix wrote:Dont shoot yourself in the foot with the old "current rifle is worn out/ not accurate anymore" excuse...
They may come straight back at you with a letter of denial & a suggestion to either re-barrel the existing, or sell it & replace it....

Good point... there's a slim possibility that they could make that call.

How about
After 20 rounds of sustained fire my rifle gets very hot and the barrel will be dammaged beyond repair if I continue shooting, Therefore I am seeking approval by the Registrar for a second rifle of exactly the same make, model and caliber so my gun handler can take my hot rifle and hand me the cool one.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Genuine need for this firearm which can't be met... ques

Post by Stix » 31 Jul 2019, 6:10 pm

Where are you djfrog...?

Fall off the lilly...?...hopped back in the pond...?...
Or did a cat getcha...? :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by djfrog » 31 Jul 2019, 7:52 pm

Guys - fantastic stuff you've come back with - thank you!
Since I posted here I decided to call SAPOL firearms about the question.
Summarised response was -
You can have may different calibres in class B - just not 2 of the same.
Mmmm... interesting I thought..

Then I spoke with a trusted dealer I know & I asked him how he deals with this question.
He said that you can legitimately apply to have the same cal. with the phrase,
'This 1 has different characteristics to the other I have in the same calibre"
Fits in with a good comment in the thread about having different twist rates.
Very valid.
Cheers guys!!
:drinks:
djfrog
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 13 Sep 2019, 9:32 pm

When I took over my mates .243 I put I needed a spare and it was not a problem.I was informed that its only when you want 3 or more of the same chamber that they are concerned as you could hand them around and have a small army
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by cracker » 13 Sep 2019, 10:59 pm

djfrog wrote:Hi All

1st timer here

Looking for how others have responded to the SAPOL PTA question -
(Cat B)
"What is the genuine need for this firearm which cannot be met by any other firearm in your possession?"
Thinking I'd simply respond using humane animal welfare line of thought matching the correct calibre to the animal.
Your thoughts?

said rifle/calibre is set up differently, different twist rate, longer barrel and use of a long range optic.
this differs to my other .308 which i use for pig in brush at close range, not optic short barrel heavy projectile

I propose to use this rifle for long range target shooting as such my other rifle is not suitable or practical.

I dont see what the issue is... im sure your intelligent enough to have a reason that supports owning a piece of apparatus too suit your needs.
after all your a licenced responsible firearms owner, dont worry mate, i suspect you already know why you need it
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 13 Sep 2019, 11:40 pm

When i had a safe inspection I was aked why I had 5 308 .
my answer cause I can the cop laughed then I told him MY mrs shoots too I shoot others but all under my name all good then
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 14 Sep 2019, 7:11 pm

Another way of explaining things is various uses meaning a different platform for the same caliber. I got asked by licensing why I had two 6.5x55 , one is a military spec Mauser for service rifle, the other is a Winchester sporter for hunting . I currently have a 8x57 sporter carbine as a scrub gun, I may need scoped 24” barrel sporter for long range target. Ya gotta be creative. I know there’s feral camels north west of Brisbane, maybe I should get a 35 Whelen
;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 14 Sep 2019, 8:16 pm

In some ways when you really get into a specific calibre. I mean like a pet so you may shoot competition I need a backup rifle as stipulated by the state team as identical. I have other rifles that may have a different twist chambered for a different weight / length bullet one gun for 155s one for 185s and another for 200grns
Then because I love and know the calibre so well I am going to have at least two hunting rifles a light weight barrel for carrying a heavy for ambush type hunting. I might have another few with open sights for hunting and for target shooting.
That puts it up over 10 of the same calibre for just that cal of course then you have your 6mm in all the different cartridges BR, Dasher, BRX ect then the 6.5mm 284s and the 7 mm geeze the money you could spend and the number of guns add up quickly to needing that armory room / vault.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to South Australian gun laws