Multiple licences for different states

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Multiple licences for different states

Post by bosko » 06 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

I've been informed by the SA firearms branch that's it's against legislation to have multiple firearm licences in different states. How does one that has properties in different states and wants to use and store firearms at those properties and only those properties go about licencing?
bosko
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Multiple licences for different states

Post by Arth » 09 Aug 2019, 10:47 am

Sounds like BS.

Ask for it in writing, quoting which part of the SA Firearms Act they are referring to. I searched through the current act and couldn't find anything.

There is reference in some states firearms application process that you need to show you are a regular resident of the state, to acquire a license in that state. Perhaps that is what they were attempting to say?

As for shooting in multiple states, I believe all states except WA recognize interstate licenses. This is how you would travel/shoot in multiple states. Your license entitles you to possess a firearm in those other states, you just need to follow their particular transport and storage laws, of course.

As an example, from the SA Act.

Part 3—Acquisition, supply and transfer of possession of firearms
22—Trafficking in firearms
(1) Subject to this section, a person who acquires a firearm is guilty of an offence unless
(a) the person is authorised to acquire the firearm by a permit under this Part (or under corresponding legislation of another State or Territory of the
Commonwealth); and
(b) there is compliance with the prescribed process for acquisition of the firearm.

Write them back and ask what Part and Division of the Act they are referring to. I bet you get nothing.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 09 Aug 2019, 1:29 pm

I have flown and driven around Australia with firearms what is the problem.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Aug 2019, 1:47 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have flown and driven around Australia with firearms what is the problem.

As the OP said...ownership & storage in different places under different jurastictions & laws...

You cant own & store firearms in a state where you have no licence to do so...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2019, 4:00 pm

bosko wrote:I've been informed by the SA firearms branch that's it's against legislation to have multiple firearm licences in different states. How does one that has properties in different states and wants to use and store firearms at those properties and only those properties go about licencing?

That's correct, you can only have one firearm licence nowadays.
You're storage address would be in your licenced state. If you spend most of your time living in a different state you probably need to change your licence.
You can't have a Victorian storage address unless you have a Victorian licence.
There are some exemptions between NSW and Victoria, I think due to Albury/Wodonga being stuck on the border.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm

Arth wrote:As for shooting in multiple states, I believe all states except WA recognize interstate licenses. This is how you would travel/shoot in multiple states. Your license entitles you to possess a firearm in those other states, you just need to follow their particular transport and storage laws, of course.

Your licence allows you to possess and use firearms in other states provided the firearms are legal to own in those states. You can't take a folding stock into NSW for example.
I was told quite recently that Qld also requires a visitor's permit, but haven't confirmed it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2019, 4:03 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have flown and driven around Australia with firearms what is the problem.

He's wanting to do it while obeying the laws...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws