A complex medical question regarding license application

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

A complex medical question regarding license application

Post by FRK » 01 Jul 2020, 9:00 pm

I've had a number of conflicting diagnosis that I am somewhere on the higher end of the Autism spectrum with a splash of a language disorder. The exact details of that is something that I do not have on hand. However in principal I haven't been diagnosed with a mental illness but rather a disability. Thus I have never been prescribed any form of treatment(which don't exist in the first place) and there are no forms of restriction on my person or drivers license. In summary my disability from my perspective would have not effect on my ability to deal with firearms in any capacity. Nor have I been denied access for any reason to pistol ranges.

I contacted the registrar which is under SAPOL. With a question that amount to if my disability would be disqualifying. The response was in part as follows(note some info omitted for privacy)

Good Afternoon,

You would be required to disclose this on your application, and it will be assessed on application and each case is considered on its merits.

We may require a medical clearance but it will be assessed once your application is processed.

This response for me raises questions as it is not a clear yes/no answer. Considering this is a discussion of a disability rather than a mental illness it seems to be a rather interesting response. As from the best of my understanding of each and everyone one of my diagnosis's does not create a threat to myself or the community. This is more or less inherent in the diagnosis itself by its very nature, so how would a medical clearance be technically possible?
FRK
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: A complex medical question regarding license application

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2020, 2:06 pm

I'm in Victoria. My grandson has a mild version of autism. So I asked the local firearms officer about this as he will soon apply for a junior licence.
He said dont tick box for mental illness. Not applicable.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jul 2020, 2:36 pm

Play devils advocate on behalf of licensing.
They get an application from someone that has autism - which is a known medical condition, disability. It’s a disability (hell - I’m even reluctant to call it a disability as I know some autistic ppl who operate on another level than 99%) - thst can result in many different symptoms, behavioural issues, Social issues, Even tics like rain man. Licensing don’t know your symptoms - nor do they know if you should have access to a firearm.
IF - and yes, big If - that person was at a range and accidentally shot someone - licensing would be heavily scrutinised and the issuing if officer possibly jailed for lack of diligence if they didn’t ask appropriate questions.
Is there any reason you couldn’t get on the front foot, have your GP write you a letter that you could send in with your application?
I think if you were forward about it - it would go down better regardless.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by womble » 02 Jul 2020, 5:07 pm

Answering the questions honestly is the test.
If they ask you if you have a disability, you answer yes. Because you have been diagnosed disabled.
I suspect you are allready prone to honesty and directness, relative to autism.
I highly doubt a disability could impact their judgement on you being considered a fit and proper person.
But any dishonesty will.
That’s what they are looking for. Provide them what they ask and you will be fine.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Download » 08 Jul 2020, 1:32 pm

Got a psychiatrist or ever seen one? Ask them to write a letter supporting your firearms licence application which you can attach to your application. If you can get an appointment quickly I'd suggest doing so pre-emptively, but if there is a long waiting list (common unfortunately) you could send it it when they bounce your application back.

I had a similar issue when I saw a psychiatrist. I already had my licence so I asked at the start if this might lead to it being cancelled. The answer was "maybe" and a promise to help get me to a state where I could get my licence back if I did lose it. Thankfully it didn't need to be cancelled, but if you have a competent shrink they should be able to help you here.

I say competent because I have heard from a lot of medical professionals (including my own psychiatrists) about how many shrinks are hacks. So ask about.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by FRK » 09 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm

Download wrote:Got a psychiatrist or ever seen one? Ask them to write a letter supporting your firearms licence application which you can attach to your application. If you can get an appointment quickly I'd suggest doing so pre-emptively, but if there is a long waiting list (common unfortunately) you could send it it when they bounce your application back.

I had a similar issue when I saw a psychiatrist. I already had my licence so I asked at the start if this might lead to it being cancelled. The answer was "maybe" and a promise to help get me to a state where I could get my licence back if I did lose it. Thankfully it didn't need to be cancelled, but if you have a competent shrink they should be able to help you here.

I say competent because I have heard from a lot of medical professionals (including my own psychiatrists) about how many shrinks are hacks. So ask about.

I might have seen one in the past, but I dare say he was kind of a hack
FRK
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws