Does getting a Cat H license get me A and B as well?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Does getting a Cat H license get me A and B as well?

Post by Cluster2k » 14 Nov 2021, 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have a club training approval letter for A/B/H, and am almost finished with my H training. If I only want to shoot rifles and shotguns at club shooting ranges, do I need the TAFE A/B training, or will the fact that I have H training be sufficient to get A and B for club use too?

I have no intention of using A/B for hunting, just club use. The trainer at my club says yes, getting H also means I get A and B too, but the other trainees have gone ahead with TAFE training anyway. I would think the experienced trainer is correct, and perhaps the other trainees wanted the TAFE training to make them eligible for hunting as well as club use.

Thanks,
Cluster2k
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Does getting a Cat H license get me A and B as well?

Post by Speedy » 16 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

Just for club use the club approval letter should be sufficient.
If you want hunting added you need to do separate training, which when I did it was just a single day session.
Speedy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Cluster2k » 18 Nov 2021, 11:16 am

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I suspected that was the case.
Cluster2k
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by dpskipper » 23 Nov 2021, 11:31 am

Cluster2k wrote:will the fact that I have H training be sufficient to get A and B for club use too?

You went to do a safety course for semi automatic handguns and SA/DA revolvers correct?

What makes you think that course is any way applicable to Cat A/B bolt action/lever action/pump action rifles?

That safety course is for Cat H, after its done you can use that with your application for a provisional handgun licence. If you want an A/B longarm licence you need to do those courses as well, and apply for those licence categories as well.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws