SAPOL Self Audit South Australia

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

SAPOL Self Audit South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Feb 2022, 5:41 pm

Has anyone from SA been notified that they need to undertake the audit?

https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=sa-pol ... self-audit

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-a ... f-firearms

I know a good handful of firearms owners but I'm yet to meet one who's been asked to complete the audit.
The revamp of the registry has been in the making for almost 2 years now and with only 66,000 registered FA owners in the state I'm surprised and concerned that I'm yet to receive my letter ... concerning because failure to complete the audit (fail to receive the letter) may result in some slightly unsavoury repercussions.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: SAPOL Self Audit South Australia

Post by bigpete » 01 Feb 2022, 6:08 pm

I have 2 mates who have had to do it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Feb 2022, 7:28 pm

bigpete wrote:I have 2 mates who have had to do it

I was told that they were starting off with those who have only one or two firearms working their way up the list until they get to that fella with hundreds of them.

They're obviously in no hurry, had they been able, willing and capable of processing 100 audits per day, it would be finished already. Perhaps they've created another convoluted and clumsy system?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 02 Feb 2022, 11:08 am

Nah,they're doing it alphabetically. They've put a hold on it for now because there's heaps of glitches with it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by scoot » 02 Feb 2022, 11:10 am

Heard rumours, nothing here yet though.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Feb 2022, 12:35 pm

bigpete wrote:Nah,they're doing it alphabetically. They've put a hold on it for now because there's heaps of glitches with it

Ok... if it's alphabetical I recon I'll be waiting a while,
Sux to be called Zachary Zernihouser ;)
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kimbocv8 » 03 Feb 2022, 11:11 am

I had to do it last year. Was a mess,

I have 2 handguns made by Matty Workman (Action Shooter Imports) and both his business and the guns in question were not on the national firearms register - so I couldnt complete my audit. The audit uses picklists from the national database so if your manufacturer or model firearm is not listed, then you couldn't put them in, no option for free text entry,

I emailed them stating the issues and got told I had to send detailed pics of the 2 guns plus a ton of additional info so firearms could get them - and Matty's business - added to the national register.

I was still waiting for the details to be added to the national register when I got another email almost 2 months later demanding I finalise my audit or risk having my firearms seized.

They finally accepted all my evidence (email communications etc.) of why I couldn't complete the actual audit. It was around that time they suspended it because of all the issues reported. They ended up accepting just my details of the 2 handguns via email rather than through the portal.

As a point of reference, I had 3 handguns, 1 centre fire rifle and 1 air rifle at the time of the audit.

My last name starts with G also.
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Feb 2022, 12:58 pm

Kimbocv8 wrote:I had to do it last year. Was a mess,

I have 2 handguns made by Matty Workman (Action Shooter Imports) and both his business and the guns in question were not on the national firearms register - so I couldnt complete my audit. The audit uses picklists from the national database so if your manufacturer or model firearm is not listed, then you couldn't put them in, no option for free text entry,

I emailed them stating the issues and got told I had to send detailed pics of the 2 guns plus a ton of additional info so firearms could get them - and Matty's business - added to the national register.

I was still waiting for the details to be added to the national register when I got another email almost 2 months later demanding I finalise my audit or risk having my firearms seized.

They finally accepted all my evidence (email communications etc.) of why I couldn't complete the actual audit. It was around that time they suspended it because of all the issues reported. They ended up accepting just my details of the 2 handguns via email rather than through the portal.

As a point of reference, I had 3 handguns, 1 centre fire rifle and 1 air rifle at the time of the audit.

My last name starts with G also.

This is what I've heard too.
My local gunshop owner couldn't even do the audit on a 2 year old beretta shotgun because some part of its description wasn't in the drop box.
What a shambles
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm

Thought it was worth adding this to the thread.
I must have read it on another thread... someone suggested there were rumours that the database was lost...
Well I can confirm that's highly unlikely because today in the mail cane my new registration for the Adler as part of re-categorising them in SA to cat B in 5 shot and cat D for over 5 :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws