Moving from VIC to SA

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Moving from VIC to SA

Post by Monolith » 07 Apr 2022, 4:14 pm

Hi all, I'm considering moving to SA from VIC in a couple of months although it is not set in stone yet.
Just wanted to hear from others who have done it, how license transfer works and if there are any significant differences in the law that I should be aware of.
Thanks
Monolith
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Moving from VIC to SA

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Apr 2022, 5:52 pm

Safe storage requirements for SA can be onerous for collectors, check Regs 2017, based on quantity and type.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2022, 6:05 pm

Monolith wrote:Hi all, I'm considering moving to SA from VIC in a couple of months although it is not set in stone yet.
Just wanted to hear from others who have done it, how license transfer works and if there are any significant differences in the law that I should be aware of.
Thanks

No such thing as licence transfer anymore, you apply for a new licence when you reside in Victoria.

Detachable magazine capacity here is 15rds for CatA, 10rds for CatB.
Can't think of any other differences between us and SA off the top of my head.
Oh, you can't supervise an unlicenced person on private property here. Unlicenced people can only handle firearms and ammo under supervision at approved ranges.

Sorry, I read it the wrong way around :-)
I don't think you can have folding stocks in SA, and they have a technical limit on the amount of ammo you can possess - only what you can use in a year.
They don't have restriction of CatA rimfire detachable mag capacity.
You can supervise an unlicenced person on private property over there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by qld33 » 05 Sep 2022, 6:38 pm

Considering a similar move down from QLD. Anyone tried to RPL (recognised prior learning) their TAFE? since we do something similar up here.

And if anyone happens to know what clubs are any good for cat H and rifle around the Riverland region that would be great to know.
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to South Australian gun laws