Justifying CAT B rifle

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Justifying CAT B rifle

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 21 Nov 2022, 11:57 am

Good afternoon,

I'm a member of a small bore rifle club, but would love to stretch my legs and shoot past 50 meters.

My plan is to purchase a 223 to occasionally shoot to say 200 meters. SSAA Precision Shooting @ Monarto that allow non members to shoot for $25 per day.

Can I justify purchasing a centrefire rifle on my PTA if I'm only a member of a small bore club?

Edit: I only have my club license, but have applied to add Target/Hunting.

likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Justifying CAT B rifle

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2022, 12:50 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:Good afternoon,

I'm a member of a small bore rifle club, but would love to stretch my legs and shoot past 50 meters.

My plan is to purchase a 223 to occasionally shoot to say 200 meters. SSAA Precision Shooting @ Monarto that allow non members to shoot for $25 per day.

Can I justify purchasing a centrefire rifle on my PTA if I'm only a member of a small bore club?

Edit: I only have my club license, but have applied to add Target/Hunting.

Do you have a CatB licence already?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 21 Nov 2022, 1:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Yeah, A1, B1. Just wasn't sure if I could justify a cat B rifle when my club only shoots small bore.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2022, 1:43 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yeah, A1, B1. Just wasn't sure if I could justify a cat B rifle when my club only shoots small bore.

Yes, that will depend on how they define small bore, small bore generally means 8mm or smaller, basically most firearms are small-bore. I think the UK started using "smallbore competition" to mean .22" or less, which would exclude .22LR as it uses bullets of .222" or .223". It's really going to be down to the club, they may be restricted to subsonic .22LR only. Smallbore is really a meaningless term.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BMW » 21 Nov 2022, 1:56 pm

With the new head of firearms branch running the show you have little to no chance. Sapol seem to have adopted a policy at the moment where they are sending back cat b pta's demanding further justification irrespective of the amount of detail you attach. They will ask for your club details and WILL check what your range is approved to shoot on their range certificate. Currently your best option is to apply to join a club that shoots a comp where your desired rifle would be required or add further categories to your licence, these being Hunting(3) and Target shooting(2). We currently do not need to be a member of a hunting club or need a letter of permission to hunt,(yet). Things here in S.A. are only going to get more and more difficult as time passes.
My last pta went back and forth 6 times to be approved for a SECOND .375 H and H. Speaking to my dealer he has informed me every cat b is being sent back requiring further justification. This is country S.A., not sure about Adelaide however.
BMW
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 21 Nov 2022, 2:42 pm

.223 and 7.62 are considered full bore in NSW
Small bore is .22 only here.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 21 Nov 2022, 3:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:Yes, that will depend on how they define small bore, small bore generally means 8mm or smaller, basically most firearms are small-bore. I think the UK started using "smallbore competition" to mean .22" or less, which would exclude .22LR as it uses bullets of .222" or .223". It's really going to be down to the club, they may be restricted to subsonic .22LR only. Smallbore is really a meaningless term.

Sorry, the rifle club only allows up to standard velocity 22LR.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2022, 3:43 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Yes, that will depend on how they define small bore, small bore generally means 8mm or smaller, basically most firearms are small-bore. I think the UK started using "smallbore competition" to mean .22" or less, which would exclude .22LR as it uses bullets of .222" or .223". It's really going to be down to the club, they may be restricted to subsonic .22LR only. Smallbore is really a meaningless term.

Sorry, the rifle club only allows up to standard velocity 22LR.

In that case I can't see them being able to support your application for a CatB Centrefire.
Can you get a property letter from somebody perhaps since you're adding hunting?
Or will a hunting club be sufficient - like SSAA, F&G, etc?
I doubt another club can support an application if you aren't a current member.
I believe having "target" as a genuine reason requires you to maintain a club membership for that firearm.
Do you also have to do compulsory attendances in SA?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 22 Nov 2022, 2:48 pm

You'll need to join a club that shoots centrefire or get a property letter.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigpete » 22 Nov 2022, 2:58 pm

Do you already have any cat B firearms ?
If not,you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Since the new rules came in I've managed to buy at least 4 new cat B firearms despite already having a bunch. Your firearms dealer should be able to help you write a letter of justification easily enough. They really only have huge issues if you're doubling up on calibres it seems
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BMW » 22 Nov 2022, 3:09 pm

In SOUTH AUSTRALIA, having a licences endorsed purpose of use 2-target shooting, does NOT allow you to shoot at a club, target shooting only allows you to shoot at targets on private property. I understand this may confuse lafo's interstate but this is how our firearms act is worded. Purpose of use 1-club use, allows you to shoot at clubs. Purpose of use 3-hunting, allows you to hunt on private property, you do not need a letter from a land holder giving you permission to hunt, you do not need to be a member of a hunting club either, all you need to do is explain what you wish to hunt on your pta, not where or when.
To confuse further: you don't need to maintain club membership to keep your A1 or B1 endorsement, you only need a club chit to initially gain it on your licence. Categories
A1 and B1 in S.A. are not like a H1 endorsement where you have minimum club attendances and are required to have continual paid up, active membership of a club.
It's all in our firearms legislation 2017 version.
BMW
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 23 Nov 2022, 9:52 am

Sorry, I don't have any cat B firearms.

OK, so my best bet is to wait until I've done the TAFE course and have hunting added to my license.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws